The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interior condensation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8038)

STORMINORMAN 01-08-2003 11:19 AM

Interior condensation

Noticing some interior condensation in the mornings, primarily on the front & side windows, sometimes on the rear...

My drains are all clean, no water in the trunk OR in any of the footwells, no wet carpet, no musty smell. Albeit the weather has been rather dry (for Oregon in January) with highs in the 50's during the day and down to near freezing at night.

Could this just be the warmer interior air condensing at night? I usually drive with the climate control around 70 degrees in the Economy mode, but have been using Defrost & Auto more since this dampness started. Never have had a problem of any kind with the climate control system: still on the original shot of Freon!

I think I got it about 95% dry inside last night when I parked it outside the garage. Still some fog inside this am.

Do any of you guys shut off/readjust the climate control for a period of time before parking outside in winter? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration!

STORMIN'

svx_commuter 01-08-2003 01:00 PM

Check the drain line for the a/c condensor?

Mr. Pockets 01-08-2003 02:29 PM

Do you track a lot of snow into your car? I know that sometimes snow collects in the footwell, then melts while you drive, and finally condenses (and sometimes freezes) on the inside of the glass.

Just a tip...

STORMINORMAN 01-08-2003 07:42 PM

That damned condem-sensation!

Nope, no snow here (plenty in the mountains, though!) in warm & sunny PDX... Footwells are dry like a bone.

To svx commuter : What "A/C condensor drain line" are you refering to? And where can I get to it to clean it, if blocked? This is a new one for me:confused:

Thanks!

DWayne2910 01-08-2003 09:25 PM

Condensation

Stormin'
If it's not A/C drain as suggested...
Have you tried wiping mist off with rag or paper towel?
If yes, was it hard to clean off? If so, it may be anti-freeze
vapor from leak in heater core. Hope not...
Dan

STORMINORMAN 01-08-2003 10:17 PM

A.. A.... Antifreeze?????

Nah! Not likely antifreeze as it wipes right off, no streaks, etc. :D

Thanks for the response, though!

svxjoe 01-09-2003 12:05 AM

Mine do the same.

I don't think it's anything serious. I sometimes find my windows doing the same. I think it's just heat from the engine (after you turn it off) coming in through vents and fogging up the cold windows.

-SVXJoe:cool:

SubaSteevo 01-09-2003 06:04 AM

I have the same problem

Sometimes my windows litterally have ice on the inside. I believe my problem is from bringing snow in and then it melting and refreezing. What do you use to clean your windows? The AC drain is on the passenger side of the car (right near the side of the engine bay) in the back of the engine bay. If you were too look behind the air filter you should see a bent medium thickness black hose pointing towards the ground, not connected to anything, it has a small hole to allow excess water to drain when the AC is done with it. I don't know how you would go about cleaning it though.

STORMINORMAN 01-09-2003 10:09 AM

a/c drain hose

Thanks for the tip re: location of hose. I'll try to run a piece of fish line up it and attach a pill bottle, run the auto system and see if anything breaks loose or leaks down.

I normally use Windex Industrial liquid or Castle Streak Proof aerisol(?) but have not had this problem before (10 winters, now!).

God! I hope it is not a leak in the heater core or under dash radiator: there is no antifreeze residue or smell I can find.

Thanks again!

Stormin'

svx_commuter 01-09-2003 12:14 PM

Re: I have the same problem

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
it has a small hole to allow excess water to drain when the AC is done with it. I don't know how you would go about cleaning it though.
A good shot of compressed air should get things moving again.;)

hotshoe50 01-09-2003 12:20 PM

condensation woes

Sorry

All those helpful messages ahead of me are helpful but wrong

You have a heater core problem and its the pits to repair (rad sealant is a short term fix if the leak is very small) but that what you have on your hands

Hotshoe!!

svx_commuter 01-09-2003 12:28 PM

If you think it's a heater core problem then by=pass the heater core with another hose. If the fog goes away it's the core. I am not looking forward to that day when mine needs to be replaced.

STORMINORMAN 01-10-2003 02:24 PM

Not MY core!

Well, whatever it was has gone away: exactly the same climatic conditions, put it to bed after driving home last night after the Blazer game with the climate control on ECON @ 70 degrees and the interior glass is as dry as a bone today!:D

Think I'm going to clean out that drain line anyway.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, although some of them seemed to indicate a much bigger problem than I had ever anticipated. At least now I'll know what to look (OUT!) for if I ever see a lot of moisture in the interior during the winter.

BurgandyBeast: I sure hope your core is not the problem! It sounds like you have much greater symptoms than I had.

Thanks again!

STORMIN'