The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Small Car Tacoma? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63388)

rj7630 03-24-2015 11:33 AM

Small Car Tacoma?

Anyone have any experience with Small Car in Tacoma, WA.? I am looking for a shop to do a manual conversion. I was going to do this myself but just don't have the time. I have all the parts just someone to install it.
Thanks

SoobCrazy 03-24-2015 02:08 PM

Re: Small Car Tacoma?

I would say no. They do make a manual conversion kit, but from everything I have read about the kit, it is of very low quality. If their kit is low quality, their labor can't be much better.

I would give Outback Auto a call. They are in Auburn and are very Subaru savvy.

rj7630 03-24-2015 05:26 PM

Thanks for the information.
I had heard their conversion was sort of OK but I didn't get the feeling they were very good. I have traded a few emails with them as to costs and what they would supply was not too impressed with the responses.
I'll try your recommended shop.

elninoalex 03-24-2015 09:22 PM

I used their kit about 13 years ago. I traded the front clip off my parts car to Brian(owner at the time) for the kit. It worked well for me. In fact, Mychailo (mbtoloczko) came down and test drove my car and said it drove better than some of the conversions that they did. :O

I guess you'll have to decide if that's an endorsement or not :D. I imagine they've polished up their practice over the years. I just got a stage 1 ecutune chip from them last month. They seem pretty good to deal with. But their labor cost for the conversion sure isn't cheap.

1986nate 04-23-2015 11:45 PM

I would stay away. Every single one that I've seen has had cracked transmission mounts. Their mount solution is also subpar even aside from that as it calls for welding brackets onto the unibody frame rail. Some of the fit and finish pieces are handy but aside from that, I'd stay away.

ensteele 04-25-2015 07:56 PM

Danger Will Robertson - Do not go to them. I don't have the time to share my horror story right now, but not pretty.

elninoalex 04-25-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 739952)
Danger Will Robertson - Do not go to them. I don't have the time to share my horror story right now, but not pretty.

Oh yeah Earl, I remember hearing your horror story about 12 years ago when I was up that way...:D

rj7630 04-26-2015 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. As I said my email interaction with them made me concerned. So, given that, anyone have some recommendations? I recently moved from Seattle area to Portland so someone in Portland would be good but not against delivering car in Western Washington.

Conn SVX 04-26-2015 01:29 PM

Not so much CAN THEY do it more WILL THE do it.. :o
There is a guy on here that had a Sabaru tranny put in his. If he is still around he could steer you in s good direction. It was up your way. Have not heard from him in about a year..
WYOSVX. Was the guy that had it done.. See if you can raise him...