The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   help me save my sisters transmission (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40294)

jeffast 08-15-2007 04:05 PM

help me save my sisters transmission

my father just bought my sister a 96 ls for her first car, it had a blow out under the prevouse owner and has three good tires and a donut, he's going to put a third different tire of the same size on the car and call it good, yes it is a 4wd, i need help convincing him that it will damage the 4wd clutch packs to run it like this..
anything i can use is greatly appreciated

DarknessofDeath 08-15-2007 04:34 PM

well..you could tell him if he goes his route that he'll pay through the nose later on - one of those "i told you so" situations...

jeffast 08-15-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
well..you could tell him if he goes his route that he'll pay through the nose later on - one of those "i told you so" situations...

i have he doesn't think it'll hurt it for 3-6 months!!!!
thats why i'm looking for lots, like 3-5 pages of people saying don't do it

shotking 08-15-2007 04:39 PM

:mad: Hows this Don't do it!!!!![/SIZE]:mad: :mad: :mad::mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :ninja:

DarknessofDeath 08-15-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotking
Hows this Don't do it!!!!![/SIZE]:mad: :mad: :mad:

add angry faces ~:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BUY CORRECT SIZE TIRES ~

jeffast 08-15-2007 04:48 PM

it is the correct size but not a matching tire
edit: i know i'm hard to please

shelfy 08-15-2007 05:02 PM

i wish someone would have told me 97 tire size was different than 92. i drove with different size tires for months. at least they were on the back wheels and i only destroyed my rear diff. or was it 50 mile tow with only the front wheels of the ground?

Manarius 08-15-2007 05:28 PM

AWD requires 4 tires of the exact same type and tread. End of discussion. Just like what it says in the owner's manual.

Subie59 08-15-2007 05:48 PM

Don't do it. You'll save a few bucks, possibly endanger your daughter and cost yourself big time in the not too distant future. Tires are the only part of the car that touches the ground, it's one area you don't want to cheap out on especially in an AWD vehicle as nice as the SVX.... and transmissions ain't cheap.
How's that?

Trevor 08-15-2007 07:53 PM

The rolling diameter of all the tyres must be the same. Surely it is obvious that if they are not, the wheels will be rotating at different speeds and the transmission driving all four wheels must continuously "slip" by way of compensation. This must cause wear and tear. There can be no argument in this respect and all written advice cautions accordingly.

There is a simple method of testing the tyres. On a flat even surface, mark all tyres at point of road contact and drive/roll the car forward in an exact straight line for as far as possible so as to rotate the wheels several times. The marked points should be as before, any change will show a variation in rolling diameter.

Tyre loading weight and tyre pressures obviously enter the picture and should be checked prior to the test. There could be minor variations of no real significance.

Edit P.S. This test could well be included in the "how too" section.

huck369 08-15-2007 08:17 PM

Buy 4 tires now ($400) or buy a new transmission soon ($800)+new tires ($400) = ($1200).....save yourself some money, go ahead and get the tires now.....
If the other 3 are good, they should give you a decent trade in...or you can sell them to re-coupe some money...

AT the very least if you won't buy a new set, take a flat tape, and measure the rolling circumference of the old tires, and the new tire...if they are more than 1/4" difference you will toast your tranny.... and it doesn't take much to make a 1/4" in circumference...

Trevor 08-16-2007 02:33 AM

The measured outer diameter of a tyre does not in fact exactly equate with the rolling diameter, which relates to the distance of the contact patch from the wheel centre, with tyre operating under load. The actual figure is dependent on, tyre pressure; wheel loading; as well as tyre construction. Hence the advice to use tyres of the same make and overall specifications.

If there are financial constraints requiring the use of odd tyres, measure the tyres on the car and under load as previously suggested. Acceptable tolerance is strictly a matter of conjecture.

subeman90 08-16-2007 04:18 AM

I did this once when I was broke and bought 2 tires for the rear of my legacy. Big mistake. The car was shimmying and the ABS was over active and I damn near wrecked it a few times b/c of its twitchyness. My dad did the same thing with a legacy once and it made a horrible noise from the transmission. You guessed it the diff was freaking out so it had to be parked for a few days till 2 other tires could be ordered. Don't ever do it or it is going to cost you some big $$$$ in the end. :mad:

crazyhorse 08-16-2007 11:43 AM

Even with the "toy tire" spare I've found difficulties with my Legacy. When run for more than a couple days the wheel will "auto loosen" the lug nuts. I have a switch installed to turn off the AWD, but even in FWD mode, I have this problem.
4 equal tires = happy Subaru
unequal tires = happy Subaru mechanic