The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coolant sensor question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15512)

Jim SVX 01-09-2004 12:03 PM

Coolant sensor question

When first use my SVX in the morning it seems to hesitate for the first few minutes and the check engine light is on. I talked to a mechanic and he thought it might be the colant sensor. Would this be correct and if so, how much would I expect to pay for one and how would I replace it? Thanks

Jim

Mr. Pockets 01-09-2004 12:31 PM

I replaced my coolant temp sensor myself and bought the part from a local dealer for about $25. In my experience, the aftermarket replacements for these sensors are actually way more expensive than a genuine Subaru part.

The SVX's coolant temp sensor is easier to replace than the Legacy's, I can tell you that. It literally takes five minutes or less.

Jim SVX 01-09-2004 05:37 PM

Did you replace the sensor due to hesitation? Also, where is the sensor located. And is there a way I can reset the codes myself so the check engine light itsn't on? Thank you for you input.

Jim

Earthworm 01-09-2004 06:25 PM

Prove it!

Pull the code:

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/codes/engine/

Jim SVX 01-09-2004 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Prove it!

Pull the code:

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/codes/engine/

Nice! I'll have to try that tomorrow. Thanks

Mr. Pockets 01-10-2004 12:49 PM

Yeah, let us know what you find - your problems could be caused by a bad coolant sensor, but they could also be something else. Do you ever have a hard time getting the car to start?

Jim SVX 01-10-2004 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Yeah, let us know what you find - your problems could be caused by a bad coolant sensor, but they could also be something else. Do you ever have a hard time getting the car to start?
I didnt have a chance to look at the codes today cause I was at work and it is currently 1 degree here in CT:( . I might have a chance to look tomorrow, but if not I will on monday. I have not had a problem starting it up, just when I first start to drive it hesitates and doesnt run right. Thanks for your information.

Jim

zavikan 01-11-2004 01:35 PM

me too

Where do i find this sensor on the car, how do I change it. and how much heart ache is this going to be? cause its 20 below and I don't waaannaa....

James

Mr. Pockets 01-11-2004 03:27 PM

Re: me too

Quote:

Originally posted by zavikan
Where do i find this sensor on the car, how do I change it. and how much heart ache is this going to be? cause its 20 below and I don't waaannaa....

James

The coolant temp sensor (the one most likely to fail, anyway) threads into the water pipe that connects the two heads. That pipe is underneath the intake manifold. The sensor itself is on the driver's side of that pipe, and I'm pretty sure that on the SVX nothing else has to be removed to reach it. On the Legacy, I had to remove the snorkus, etc, to reach it. On the SVX it was a 5min affair.

James Scott 01-12-2004 10:20 AM

Also, since it's at the highest point pretty much of the coolant water, you won't have to drain coolant or refill. This is the easiest part to replace, period! (Behind, underneath intake manifold on driver's side, 2 wire connector) :) :D

P.S. Mine cost $15 to 20! (Subaruparts.com or dealer)

Jim SVX 01-12-2004 12:38 PM

I checked my code and after staring at it for 5 minutes I am positive I have a code 28, which is the knock sensor number 2. I called the dealer and he first quoted me a price of $285:mad: , but then after looking it up he found out the price went down to $65:D . My question now is how hard are these to replace? Any help is appreciated.

Jim

Earthworm 01-13-2004 09:35 PM

I believe there is a write up on how to change the knock sensors. I'm sure the search button should turn up some results.

gamblergw 02-08-2004 06:50 PM

Re: Re: me too

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

The coolant temp sensor (the one most likely to fail, anyway) threads into the water pipe that connects the two heads. That pipe is underneath the intake manifold. The sensor itself is on the driver's side of that pipe, and I'm pretty sure that on the SVX nothing else has to be removed to reach it. On the Legacy, I had to remove the snorkus, etc, to reach it. On the SVX it was a 5min affair.

There are 3 sensors there. One has just one wire going to it so i am pretty sure thats not the one. The other two have a connector with several wires.. There is one closer to the front of the car in a leval possion and one closer to the back of the car at an angle.. Which one is it? I think it is the one at the rear.. Can someone confirm this? Thanks...Jim

Mr. Pockets 02-09-2004 01:21 PM

The best advice I can give you is to buy another one and look for the same shape plug. It's a reddish brown color - I remember that much.

Good luck.

James Scott 02-11-2004 12:43 AM

coolant temperature sensor/knock sensors

CTS:
DRIVER'S SIDE ENGINE REAR
UNDERNEATH INTAKE MANIFOLD
REDDISH-BROWNISH PLASTIC "TOP"
TWO WIRES CONNECTED
EASY TO LOCATE
EASY TO REPLACE (little coolant escapes since it's at top of coolant system)
$15 to $20 COST

KNOCK SENSORS: (cylindrical tops, ~1 " diameter)
UNDERNEATH INTAKE MANIFOLD
ONE TOWARD FRONT
ONE TOWARD REAR (DRIVER'S SIDE) OF ENGINE
DIFFICULT TO SEE
EVEN MORE DIFFICULT TO INSTALL
[I've had a pair of K sensors for over a year >> haven't wanted to install THAT bad!]

GOOD LUCK! :D ;)