The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   stereo (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20064)

simonton 07-19-2004 03:53 PM

stereo

i just replaced all my speaker and put in a custom sub box, and i was just wondering why i never saw any wiring for the dash tweeters???
there are two tweeter grills in the dash, but when i wired my four front and rear speakers, i never saw any wires coming from the radio and going to those tweeters.. i was just wondering if anyone knows why...

red95svx 07-19-2004 04:06 PM

It's because you do not have a fully loaded model. The grilles you see on your dash are fake....there are no speakers behind them.

Dave

lee 07-19-2004 04:54 PM

alternately...the tweeters are a subset of the front door speakers. The wires branch at/near the kickpanels. The crossover to divide the sound is simply a small capacitor located at the tweeter.

sxewhodey 07-20-2004 09:23 AM

tweeter

are there a certain model that fit directly into the faux-tweeter location? I want them to function right but I have a stripped model.

Peach 07-20-2004 10:20 AM

tweet tweet

Infinity makes tweeters that fit in the dash perfect, also they also make a great crossober to go with that fits neatly in the back of the glovebox. Good luck

92 Pearlie 146k

simonton 07-20-2004 11:58 AM

i know that i've got the ls-l package...
right now my car is in the shop or else i'd go and check to see if there are actually speakers under the grilles, but if there are.... then would i be losing some high range quality that should be going to my new door speakers to the old crappy tweeters?

lee 07-20-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by simonton
i know that i've got the ls-l package...
right now my car is in the shop or else i'd go and check to see if there are actually speakers under the grilles, but if there are.... then would i be losing some high range quality that should be going to my new door speakers to the old crappy tweeters?

if you have the LS-L, then you should have tweeters. If you have the factory tweeters, the system sends full-range sound to the door wires and to the tweeters. The diff is that the tweeters have a capacitor inline which functions as a 6dB per octave crossover for the tweeters only - I never looked at the cap's value when I pulled mine so I can't tell you the frequency at which it kicks in - sorry.

So, the door speakers, original or aftermarket, using the OEM wiring, get the full range sound. Some sound will also go to the tweeters are well. You might find the sound too bright. Only ou can tell what you like to hear.

sxewhodey 07-21-2004 06:04 AM

Imaging

1 Attachment(s)
As far as I know, I think that having your highs in the door is going to lose a lot of signal response. When they are imaged low, your supposed to missed a lot of the high's. So having them in the dash would seem more accurate than the doors even though they are actually better speakers in the doors.