The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The SHAME! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6304)

Mr. Pockets 10-07-2002 08:23 AM

The SHAME!

I have modded. <SOB!>

Please forgive me!

Allow me to elaborate by first defining 'mod,' as I understand it to mean 90% of the time.

Mod: (verb) To disconnect, remove, disassemble or otherwise deactivate a device installed by the factory (most likely for a good reason).

I disconnected the resistor. Why? I dunno. I understand that it drops the line pressure. So I figured that maybe by removing it, the pressure would be increased and the car might shift better. Or at all.

My results were interesting. Disconnecting the resistor did absolutely nothing. No blinking power light, no hard shifts. The only difference I noticed was that first engaged sorta hard when I put it in 'D'.

The power light did begin to blink eventually - but only after the car had been started about five times.

It shifts in exactly the same way, meaning that while accelerating, one of the following two things happens:

1. It shifts through all the gears, but there's a brief flare between 2nd and 3rd.

2. It skips 2nd entirely, slipping until it finally decides on going directly from 1st to 3rd.

svx_commuter 10-07-2002 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info Nick.
I think that shifting from 1st to 3rd is one of the symptoms of a tranny brake band with wide clearance.

Mr. Pockets 10-07-2002 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Thanks for the info Nick.
I think that shifting from 1st to 3rd is one of the symptoms of a tranny brake band with wide clearance.

I've heard that this is an adjustable thing, but I don't know how or where...

Aredubjay 10-07-2002 12:52 PM

Nick,
You can be the first member of MA (Modders Anonymous).

Hi, I'm Nick, and I'm a Modder.

HI NICK! :D

Mr. Pockets 10-07-2002 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Nick,
You can be the first member of MA (Modders Anonymous).

Hi, I'm Nick, and I'm a Modder.

HI NICK! :D

Quiet, you.

The resistor goes back on tonight.

Aredubjay 10-07-2002 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Quiet, you.

The resistor goes back on tonight.

I'm so happy for you. Seeing the error of your ways so soon. Kudos! One day at a time, Nick. One day at a time. :D:D:D

(Question: Do thay give "Power Chips" to recovering Modders who go through the 12 Step Program?:D)

Mr. Pockets 10-07-2002 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I'm so happy for you. Seeing the error of your ways so soon. Kudos! One day at a time, Nick. One day at a time. :D:D:D

(Question: Do thay give "Power Chips" to recovering Modders who go through the 12 Step Program?:D)

Wouldn't that be like giving heroin to recovering drug addicts?

Anyway, I reject the 12-step program. I'll stick with my patented one-step program:

1. STOP IT!

wawazat?? 10-07-2002 04:06 PM

Re: The SHAME!

Quote:

I have modded. <SOB!>
:eek: GASP!.........<thunk>

oab_au 10-07-2002 05:10 PM

Danger ! Danger! Mr Pockets.

Quote:

The band is slipping, if it continues it will burn out, result no 2nd or 4th. Save the transmission and get it adjusted now, or pay a lot later.
It is a bit of a pain to do, but cheaper than a rebuilt.:rolleyes:
Harvey.;)

Landshark 10-07-2002 06:00 PM

<<Darth Vader voice>> You don't know the power of the dark side! join us, and we can rule the streets with gold wire wheels, light up washer nozzles, giant exhausts, and big stripes running the length of our cars. trust your feelings, Young Subi. :D

Aredubjay 10-07-2002 09:53 PM

Re: Danger ! Danger! Mr Pockets.

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

The band is slipping, if it continues it will burn out, result no 2nd or 4th. Save the transmission and get it adjusted now, or pay a lot later.
It is a bit of a pain to do, but cheaper than a rebuilt.:rolleyes:
Harvey.;)

The adjusting nut is on the passenger's side, top portion of the tranny, if I recall correctly. The only thing to watch for is, not allowing the nut to come off the adjusting screw. If this happens, the screw falls INSIDE your transaxle and you have a flailing hunk of debris running round inside. :eek:

Aredubjay 10-07-2002 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had forgotten that I'd scanned this page of the manual. Here ya go.

svx_commuter 10-08-2002 05:38 AM

Quote:

It's on the top of the tranny, driver side, just under the firewall, behind the starter. The starter has to come out:rolleyes: and then you need a 17mm box for the lock nut and 11 mm square wrench for the adjustment. I filed a square hole into a 7/16 nut and that worked fine also. I used a 7/16 box over the special 11mm square nut for the adjustment.

It's a tight fit in there and your working kind of blind. I had to feel my way around. It also takes a lot of time because after the adjustmnet is done you have to drive it and see how it worked. The SM says to go in 3/4 turn increments and then test drive.

I turned mine in 3/4 turn and drove it for about a month and then went another 3/4 turn. It seems to have helped.

There are a few posts on this subject.

Mr. Pockets 10-08-2002 11:50 AM

Hey, so the resistor went back in. I am officially un-modded.

Man, I'm really tempted to try this brake band adjustment. My symptoms (skipping second gear or flaring between 2nd and 3rd)suggest that I need to tighten the band.

I'm a little hesitant to try it, though. It sounds like a REALLY tight fit...

...and driving it a couple hundred miles like it is probably hasn't done my clutches any good. :P

I'll be gone this weekend, visiting my brother in DC. But when I get back, I think I'll have to give this a try...

CigarJohnny 10-14-2002 03:59 PM

I just read in a different thread (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=6438) where another SVXer experienced the same flaring of RPM when the tranny shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear. General concensus was the TPS (ThrottlePositionSensor) was the culprit and could cause severe transmission woes if gone undetected. Hope it helps ;)