The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   power steering leak (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35542)

Archer999 10-08-2006 09:31 PM

power steering leak

Ok, here is the deal. My 92 has a fluid leak. The only fluid that is gets low is the PS fluid. All the other fluids remain at the same level.

The pump that is on the car now is a used pump bought off ebay. I just did a frankenstein install and, let the resevoir burp out all the air. I did not bleed it off from any other point.

Fortunatley, the power steering works at an acceptable level, Although at low speeds it is kinda sluggish. I would like it to feel more powerfull.

The main problem is that this fluid leak is getting onto my exhaust and causes a little smoke at times and an odor.

My question is ...where are the most likely places to look for a power steering leak. The pump and resevior look good, the first hose connecting to the pump looks good.

With the purchase of the pump I also acquired the power steering rack, I guess you would call it. However installation seamed to difficult.

So has anyone else had this kinda problem?????:confused:

ItsPeteReally 10-09-2006 04:48 AM

Seeing as I'm never going to patent this, I'll put Pete's leakfinder system into the public domain.

All you need is a roll of white paper toilet tissue, or kleenex tissues, or whatever.

Wrap the tissue around all the joints and components you suspect might be leaking. Use sticky tape, string, or whatever else you have to hand, to keep the tissue in place.

Then just drive the car. If the leak is a bad one it will show up pretty fast, by wetting or discolouring the tissue. If the leak is a slow one, you can keep the tissue in place for a week or so, if necessary.

I wouldn't recommend using this to find a fuel system leak though!!

Oh, and I wouldn't let the paper touch the exhaust system either.

Archer999 10-09-2006 11:59 AM

Chipping away at problems

Well thanks for the advise. I brought it to a shop today to put new tires on it and, they found that one of my CV axles was busted. So, that was spitting grease on my exhaust.

Im going to pick it up in a few hours. Hopefully this will show some improvement.:o

Earthworm 10-09-2006 01:31 PM

Fluid will usually leak from the power steering system from the high pressure line or a poorly fitted return hose.

rbalach 10-09-2006 04:29 PM

One of the hoses on mine had a pin hole leak on it, I was able to change it out myself. I think it was the high pressure hose, part number 34610C at www.subaruparts.com

Suby Fan 10-09-2006 10:57 PM

i will have to try this at work some time

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
Seeing as I'm never going to patent this, I'll put Pete's leakfinder system into the public domain.

All you need is a roll of white paper toilet tissue, or kleenex tissues, or whatever.

Wrap the tissue around all the joints and components you suspect might be leaking. Use sticky tape, string, or whatever else you have to hand, to keep the tissue in place.

Then just drive the car. If the leak is a bad one it will show up pretty fast, by wetting or discolouring the tissue. If the leak is a slow one, you can keep the tissue in place for a week or so, if necessary.

I wouldn't recommend using this to find a fuel system leak though!!

Oh, and I wouldn't let the paper touch the exhaust system either.