The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wont Start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38901)

odepaj 05-09-2007 10:03 PM

Wont Start

My black '92 wont start, I cant find out why. Its getting fuel and spark, the timing is fine. I pulled a cam/crank sensor awhile back but cleaned them both and then cleared the code and its not throwing the code anymore, I also swapped them with known good sensors. The battery was alittle low, but I swapped a known good battery and still nothing. The starter is good, but I guess just to be sure I'll probably swap a different starter in. It's probably gonna get towed to a shop, because I have no ideas left.:( :mad:

Dustin

kis86 05-09-2007 10:09 PM

Yuck

Does it even try to turn over...whine, click, anything?

Trevor 05-09-2007 11:37 PM

You say that you swapped in a "known" good battery. Are you sure on this.

Are the head lights bright? Do any lights go very dim, i.e. nearly out, when you try to crank the car if they are switched on while cranking? If so, the battery is NBG.

odepaj 05-10-2007 06:23 AM

kis86, it turns over but doesnt start up.

Trevor, The battery in it now was tested at Wal-mart and Autozone, it was low but then sat on a speed charger for 2hrs. It starts out fine, but the lights will dim alittle after trying to start the car for awhile. I also tried the battery from my '92 pearly (that car starts just fine) and I got the same thing, turns over but doesnt start.

Thanks for the quick response.

Dustin

kis86 05-10-2007 07:28 AM

Huh...

Well, it isnt getting proper spark, proper fuel, or the timing is off. If it turns over...it couldn't be the starter. You eliminated the possibility of a bad battery as well.

Ideas:

A blown fuse to the fuel pump
Bad fuel pump
timing belt off
cam sensor
bad plugs?

Found the following on another website:

"The first thing to do is to see if it lost spark or fuel. What I suspect is happening here is the injectors are leaking down into the cylinders thus flooding the engine. The way to test for this is to put a fuel pressure gauge on it, pinch off the feed and return lines and watch the fuel pressure gauge. If it drops then you know you have leaking injectors."

Might want to try holding the gas pedal down when starting...

Car problems suck! I've owned my svx obly a few months and have had enough issues to last a lifetime. but...I still love it :D

dcarrb 05-10-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj
The starter is good, but I guess just to be sure I'll probably swap a different starter in.

Can't see much point in that if the engine is turning over as it should.

Assuming it is turning over, I second the aforementioned tip of holding the accelerator pedal to the floor. This worked for me when my teal had a hard-starting spell.

dcb

odepaj 05-10-2007 08:19 AM

The fuel pump is working, I can hear it cycle on with the key in the "on" position, I also pulled a fuel line after the fuel filter and turned the car to "on" and gas sprays out. I pulled all the timing covers and checked the timing, its dead on. I've also swapped the old cam/crank sensors for the ones out of my pearly (that car still starts perfect with the cam/crank sensors from my black car in it). Plugs could be one thing but I did them 2k miles ago, I cant see all 6 or even 3 plugs going bad all at once (the engine will run with two dead cylinders). I know the coils are fine, I checked them all.

I saw the gas pedal thing in a different thread when I was first diagnosing the problem, I already tried it and it had no effect.

Dustin

cdvs 05-10-2007 08:44 AM

How do you know the injectors are working?

Starting fluid?

JaySVX 05-10-2007 09:05 AM

If it turns over, it's getting fuel, and it's getting spark, there is no possible way that it would not start, simple as that. One of those three things is not occuring, and you can easily check spark and turning over, which leaves fuel. I would start there.

ensteele 05-10-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX
If it turns over, it's getting fuel, and it's getting spark, there is no possible way that it would not start, simple as that. One of those three things is not occuring, and you can easily check spark and turning over, which leaves fuel. I would start there.

Unless it is out of gas. Is the fuel filter clogged? Just a thought. :o

JaySVX 05-10-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Unless it is out of gas. Is the fuel filter clogged? Just a thought. :o

Wouldn't out of gas be the same as it's not getting fuel? :confused:

cozykat 05-13-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj
The battery in it now was tested at Wal-mart and Autozone, it was low but then sat on a speed charger for 2hrs. It starts out fine, but the lights will dim alittle after trying to start the car for awhile. Dustin

Do you know what voltage reading you are getting off your battery? It seems to me, if my battery gets below 12v it stops starting. Different vehicles might have a slightly different voltage acceptance. You could try my battery sometime. It's a brand spanking new red top but if you break, you buy! ;) Just kidding, its got a great replacement warranty. I only suggest the battery again because your issue really does sound like mine from two weeks ago and in my case, it turned out to be the battery. Weird, I know.
~Marisa

dannmarr 05-13-2007 03:22 PM

Check your battery connections and vacuum lines.

NikFu S. 05-13-2007 10:37 PM

This happened to me and we decided it was just flooded. It started after sitting for a day and I gave it some serious cranking.
Not saying this is your problem, but if you are not seeing anything wrong it could be.