The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help locating electrical modules (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49866)

TexasSwift 04-14-2009 04:20 PM

Need help locating electrical modules

I have a fuse that keeps blowing and I am trying to track down all of the electrical components that it protects. It is fuse 18 in the kick panel fuse box. This is listed on the cover as a 10A Cruise/ABS fuse. My schematic shows that there are 5 circuits that come off that fuse. I have found 2 of the modules for those circuits. Power Steering Control Unit and Cruise Control Units have been located. I need specific descriptions (metal, plastic, black, etc.)and locations (above, inside, "behind the green door", etc.) of the following 3 modules; Security Control Unit, Select Monitor and Anti-Lock Brake Control Unit.
I had posted earlier on a different thread when my main fusible link blew and after replacing the alternator have been slowly chasing circuits until fuses quit blowing. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein trying to resurrect the dead. When you get a power surge large enough to blow the 1.25 fusible link, you are screwed.
By the way what does the Select Monitor do?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Keith
p.s. Sorry for the Marilyn Chambers reference. May she rest in peace. For those too young to know what I mean, rent the movie.

SVXdc 04-14-2009 08:01 PM

Re: Need help locating electrical modules

Your profile says you have a 1992 LS-L. Is that still correct?

If so, the security module is behind your glove box. PITA to access — you must remove many screws to disassemble the glovebox. The module is a black plastic box. Search for threads with pictures and removal instructions.

Black88GTA 04-14-2009 08:40 PM

ABS computer is under the passenger seat on the side closest to the passenger door. It's a chunky silver box, held with two screws (10mm hex head). Bolted to the bar running under the seat and the bump that holds the right rear seat bolt.

The security module (on my car, anyway) is a black box mounted under the rear deck, between the speakers. You have to remove the rear deck trim panel to access it.

Disclaimer: This is for a 1994 LSi - no guarantees that a '92 will have the same component locations :o

SVXdc 04-14-2009 11:55 PM

The security module was moved to the trunk when the cars got the passenger airbag (some 1994s and everything after).

TexasSwift 04-16-2009 06:28 PM

The problem was the ABS control unit. Disconnecting it keeps the fuse from blowing. Thanks for the help.
Keith B

pearlm30 04-18-2009 12:24 AM

I also had the same problem. Its the ABS module under the passenger seat.