The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poll for Octane Used in SVX on Highway (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8176)

CDG 01-14-2003 12:26 PM

Poll for Octane Used in SVX on Highway

Another poll to go with the Milage on the highway average.

Can we take a poll of what fuel Octane people use in their SVX's
For this too be useful as a comparison, answer the poll with regards to Highway driving.

SHISVX 01-14-2003 12:41 PM

i always put 93 octane in my car...super, premium...the best, or else the car boggs...

Kelli

Mr. Pockets 01-14-2003 01:11 PM

Choices 3 and 4 are too similar.

I always put in 91 or better, no exceptions. I have not put in lower octane fuel even once.

svx_commuter 01-14-2003 01:26 PM

Most of the stations by me only sell 89 or 93 so I get 93 all the time.:)

Aredubjay 01-14-2003 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Most of the stations by me only sell 89 or 93 so I get 93 all the time.:)
Same here. There are a few stations in Indiana that sell 91 Octane, but, the gasoline contains Ethenol. If "pure" 91 Octane were available, I'd probably use it. I'll use nothing less than the recommended rating.

CDG 01-14-2003 01:50 PM

all are good points.
Consider that the lowest Octane usage is the top option, and the best posible fuel is the bottom option.

here we have 87, 89, 91, 92.5, and 94

but try to pick the range that best describes the fuel you use.

ensteele 01-14-2003 01:59 PM

I use 91 or better. It is usually only available around here as 92. I don't mess with the octane that is recommended.

$VX 01-14-2003 02:05 PM

93. Always.

- Ca$h

Uncamitzi 01-14-2003 02:13 PM

Is the best we can get here in Utah... The cheap stuff is at as low as 85.....:eek: My GL10 even hated that!

Rockscaler 01-14-2003 02:14 PM

My wife always puts in 89 and I usually put in 93. I try to get fill it befor half empty so hopefully it averages to 91 (since 91 is hard to find). I don't notice any knocking or performance problems with the 89.

Aredubjay 01-14-2003 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rockscaler
I don't notice any knocking or performance problems with the 89.
. . . yet. :eek: :D

Rockscaler 01-14-2003 02:48 PM

I posted this over on the Miles per gallon thread but it seems to fit here better so let the flaming begin.

<<<<<You guys have convinced me into premium gas. Cheaping out at the pump costs you in mpg's. Trust me and my real life experience, get the correct grade of gas to get better miles per gallon on the highway.>>>>>>>

Actually higer octane does NOT mean higher BTU value even though the oil companies would like you to believe that. Using higher octane than that recomended for your engine is just wasting money. Using Lower octane however could damage the engine due to knocking. But the SVX has sensors and the computer to compensate for lower octane so damage probably won't occur. Performance will not be optimum but miles per gallon shouldn't be much different.
Anybody agree?;)

mohrds 01-14-2003 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rockscaler
Actually higer octane does NOT mean higher BTU value even though the oil companies would like you to believe that. Using higher octane than that recommended for your engine is just wasting money. Using Lower octane however could damage the engine due to knocking. But the SVX has sensors and the computer to compensate for lower octane so damage probably won't occur. Performance will not be optimum but miles per gallon shouldn't be much different.
Anybody agree?;)

I agree to a point. I think in a lower compression engine, that would hold true. But in a higher compression engine, the ECU will retard the timing to compensate for detonation and you will get less power each stroke.

I was asleep the semester we had that discussion in college so I will yield the floor to someone who paid attention.

Doug

WestCoastSVX 01-14-2003 03:13 PM

I always put in Premium, whatever that is around here. I believe it is 92, but maybe 91 since Earl mentioned that. :confused:

I 'assumed' that all stations carry the same range and that it is a state thing, but maybe I'm wrong? :confused: Would different brands of stations carry different octanes in the same named grade? :confused:

Anyway, I always put in 91 or above I guess, since no premium grade is ever less than that anywhere. And everywhere on the car it just says "Use Premium", it says nothing about specific numbers. For those of us without owners manuels. :p

Aredubjay 01-14-2003 03:21 PM

If this were any other car, I'd probably use "regular" gasoline until I started getting some pre-ignition. Then, I'd move up the ladder until I hit the grade that would prevent it. It didn't bother me to hear my Capri Turbo or my Peugeot "deisel" a bit, when I first got em. All my other cars were "beaters" that called for regular. BUT, I freaked when I first heard the ticking in the SVX fuel injectors (not realizing how loud those suckers can be :D), so, no sir, I'm not gonna experiment on this baby. I'll stick with the recommended octane (although I have to use 93, since my only choices are 87, 89, 93), thankyaverymuch. :D