The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   To Buy or Not to Buy, This is The Q (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48590)

SilverSpear 01-12-2009 08:29 AM

To Buy or Not to Buy, This is The Q

A friend of mine owns a nice 93 Pearlie back home. This car has been very well maintained over the years (only in suby dealership).

Now I am facing many dilemmas:

1- I intend to... euh get married to a very beautiful and well educated girl 1.5years from now. Cost of marriage ($25,000) and I am restoring my apartment as we speak and will be costing me around $50,000 in redesign and furniture.

2- I love the SVX a lot. I own a modified one especially in the exterior and I always dreamed of getting another and leave it completely OEM (except external cooler + filter).

3- Both my parents and GF are Ok with me having two cars for now, the SVX and the 350Z. I dunno what their reaction would be if they see me buying a third car (well a fourth one since I also own a VW MK1) :o
I think my dad will be using the rest of the RPG shells that he still have :D

4- The guy is asking around $7500 for his SVX. For a guy who appreciates this car and knows his true value, I think it is worth it. The car is near an immaculate condition.

I told him his car is worth between $5000 and $6000 as an approximate value, he replied that for $5000 he prefers to let it ROT in his garage :lol:

Well I thought if for $5000, I would apply for a bank loan for $230 per month/24 months. That way this amount would not be squeezing me from what is more important in my life (each person has priorities :rolleyes:).

But for $7500... I dunno I just cannot bear it at present time. How to convince that guy with $5000?

Freeman 01-12-2009 08:40 AM

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy, This is The Q

Wow that price is a bit much... Then again that's a little unjustified of me to say since I got my SVX for free.

I'd say go for it if you had the cash but if it's going to hurt you in the long run, stay away.

svxistentialist 01-12-2009 08:41 AM

Offer him $5500. If he takes it, get the loan and do the deal. If he does not take it continue with your more important plans for the wedding.

Likely the car will still be there when you come up with the money, and as time will have passed, it will be closer to $6k.

Or:

Sell the 350Z daily driver and liberate some dollars. You could live with a cheaper d driver surely? 200 SX would be way cheaper but entertaining & reliable.

Joe ;)

Wikedjuggalo 01-12-2009 08:49 AM

I think you better buy it.... Sell the 350 :D... Or off 6k and tell him you honestly cant give him 7.5k atm

Tim 01-12-2009 09:25 AM

Speak to the future wifey first. The last thing she probably wants to find out about is an impulse buy, which could cause potential problems later.

EDIT: (Did i really just say that? :o)

Can we come to your wedding? :D

SilverSpear 01-12-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 581754)
Speak to the future wifey first. The last thing she probably wants to find out about is an impulse buy, which could cause potential problems later.

EDIT: (Did i really just say that? :o)

Can we come to your wedding? :D

Of course people!! You are all invited! Seriously now...
(Wish you were closer :o)

taylorbr 01-12-2009 09:35 AM

It seems like this guy is overestimating the value of his car when deciding on a price to sell it at (unless it is exceptionally low mileage). I would let the market decide - wait a few months and if it is still for sale, he'll be willing to lower the price.

essveeexxee 01-12-2009 10:06 AM

10 characters.

SilverSpear 01-12-2009 10:29 AM

My future wife already has a 2007 Renault Megane and she loves it a lot.

To be honest, this car is fully equipped with everything including leather seats and double moonroofs. What I personally love about the car is its brakes. Hard braking one of these, and you will literally be eating the steering wheel :D

I don't think she will be looking into driving the SVX. But she likes my car tho... or at least this is what she tells me...

On the other hand I thought about it. I will stick to $5K for it. I dunno about him, but I thought he was one of the guys who fell in love with the car and don't wanna part from it. Suddenly he calls me all the way from Leb and tells me he wants to sell it.

I am going back in a 9 days vacation this april. If the car is still there, I will renew my offer of $5K. I don't think he will resist the opportunity since I will be there.

Including the registration and loan interest, I will end up with a $6K 93 Pearlie.

benebob 01-12-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 581735)

Now I am facing many dilemmas:

1- I intend to... euh get married to a very beautiful and well educated girl 1.5years from now. Cost of marriage ($25,000)

Sorry Danny you're way off on this one. Try downpayment on marriage ($25000).:D:lol:

svxistentialist 01-12-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 581876)
Sorry Danny you're way off on this one. Try downpayment on marriage ($25000).:D:lol:

??

A guy driving a 350Z?

I thought that was for the ring :eek:

:rolleyes: :lol:

SubaruSVXCrazy 01-12-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 581772)
My future wife already has a 2007 Renault Megane and she loves it a lot.

To be honest, this car is fully equipped with everything including leather seats and double moonroofs. What I personally love about the car is its brakes. Hard braking one of these, and you will literally be eating the steering wheel :D

I don't think she will be looking into driving the SVX. But she likes my car tho... or at least this is what she tells me...

On the other hand I thought about it. I will stick to $5K for it. I dunno about him, but I thought he was one of the guys who fell in love with the car and don't wanna part from it. Suddenly he calls me all the way from Leb and tells me he wants to sell it.

I am going back in a 9 days vacation this april. If the car is still there, I will renew my offer of $5K. I don't think he will resist the opportunity since I will be there.

Including the registration and loan interest, I will end up with a $6K 93 Pearlie.

:barf:Renault Megane < Subaru SVX :cool:...................... IMO :D

Congrads and Good luck. :)

SilverSpear 01-14-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 581876)

Unfortunately yeah. Stuff to pay for:
- Church
- Priest
- Flowers
- Cars
- Her dress
- My Tux
- Cocktail Party (after church) for 300 invitees

All that is excluding the engagement ring...

But out of it I will be getting around $12K in presents. (In the past, the invitees would bring in gifts, then it became a wedding list in a specified home appliances store, and now MONEY :D in a specified bank account).

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 581884)
??

A guy driving a 350Z?

I thought that was for the ring :eek:

:lol:

Thank you Joe, now I really know how much you love me :p

The ring will be no more than $3.5K

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 581887)
:barf:Renault Megane < Subaru SVX :cool:...................... IMO

Congrads and Good luck. :)

Even though she is an excellent driver (she drives M/T too), I wouldn't trust a rare car as the SVX with anyone but me. Let he be with her Megane and let me find a way to get that Pearlie... :rolleyes:

legacyau 01-14-2009 04:47 AM

swap the 350 for the SVX easy problem fixed :)

benebob 01-14-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 582165)
Unfortunately yeah. Stuff to pay for:
- Church
- Priest
- Flowers
- Cars
- Her dress
- My Tux
- Cocktail Party (after church) for 300 invitees

All that is excluding the engagement ring...

Oh my I'm not sure if you're just in denial or what but you're not even getting close to that true cost of marriage!:lol::D

Buy now and just don't tell her about it.:lol::D A wise man once told me there are more women on the planet then cars so buy the ones you want, you can always find another woman!;)