The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about my hood (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23710)

n00b on demand 01-09-2005 08:55 PM

Question about my hood

Ok so the previous owner had the famous SVX bra on the hood of the car. The day i bought it i took the bra off and there was a line going across the hood that never came out after my initial car wash with the car. So i put the bra back on and left it but still cleaned under it every day. This weekend i took it off and noticed the car looked so much better without it. But my problem is that now this line goes across my hood....it has black gritty crap in it that comes off if you scratch it with your fingernails. The rest of the paint if flawless except for this one line going across. I was told if i use some wax it might come off...but any of you have suggestions to how i can get the gritty black dirt off without damaging the paint and suggestions on getting the line out?

Seraph 01-09-2005 09:20 PM

goo gone?

SubaSteevo 01-09-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
goo gone?
or more extreme...rubbing compound

n00b on demand 01-09-2005 09:55 PM

I have 3m medium cut rubbing compound that i use for my headlights. Would that work or would it be too strong? I have thought about goo gone too but would that damage the paint?

Chiketkd 01-09-2005 11:05 PM

I'd wash the car and afterwards apply regular old car wax on it. If it doesn't come out, use the 3M rubbing compound. If it still doesn't come out, use goo gone...

-Chike

SilverSpear 01-09-2005 11:47 PM

Re: Question about my hood

Quote:

Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Ok so the previous owner had the famous SVX bra on the hood of the car. The day i bought it i took the bra off and there was a line going across the hood that never came out after my initial car wash with the car. So i put the bra back on and left it but still cleaned under it every day. This weekend i took it off and noticed the car looked so much better without it. But my problem is that now this line goes across my hood....it has black gritty crap in it that comes off if you scratch it with your fingernails. The rest of the paint if flawless except for this one line going across. I was told if i use some wax it might come off...but any of you have suggestions to how i can get the gritty black dirt off without damaging the paint and suggestions on getting the line out?
POLISH then WAX

UberRoo 01-10-2005 12:03 AM

Use a clay bar. Apparently they really work wonders. Unfortunately for me, they fill in the chips in my paint with colored clay. I'm searching for a Laguna Blue colored bar. :)

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

msvx95 01-10-2005 03:26 AM

I personally like the bug & tar remover....forgot who makes it, but works wonders on my vehicles. Polish and wax after.

SilverSpear 01-10-2005 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by msvx95
I personally like the bug & tar remover....forgot who makes it, but works wonders on my vehicles. Polish and wax after.
why spending money for many things while a little bit of polish can remove them very easily.... just polish, then wax the hood

msvx95 01-10-2005 04:02 AM

I've always had about 3 cans laying around my garage....One year, I had tar and gunk splattered everywhere when the city decided to repave and reseal most of the roads. I think it's almost time again....pothole city over here!....So ever since that, I've always had the stuff.

wynndi 01-10-2005 08:11 AM

What worked for me was WD-40, *QUICKLY* followed up with a good wash and wax.

That'll take out the black goo.

Getting the line out will require rubbing compound. I don't recommend the colored waxes. I wasn't happy with the red colored wax on my '96.

MNYPNNY 01-10-2005 08:58 AM

Try Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil. It works really well on removing road tar.

n00b on demand 01-10-2005 09:02 AM

Yea ive heard wd-40 works...but i know i have to remove it quickly or else it will eat the paint. I did get the car washed yesterday and nothing came out. The line is barley noticeable unless you see it up close. I think ill try some goo gone first then some wd-40 if the goo gone doesnt work.

dcarrb 01-10-2005 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thndrmtn92svx
Try Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil. It works really well on removing road tar.
Isn't that the same stuff that's supposed to work as an insect repellant? Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit:

"It's a floor polish..."

"No, it's a dessert topping!"

(Guess you had to have seen it.)

As to the matter at hand, I'd recommend plain (as in, non-abrasive) car wax and elbow grease.

dcb