The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ebay EJ33 Engine (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17256)

slacker 03-16-2004 10:11 PM

Ebay EJ33 Engine

Some optimist has an EJ33 Japanese Engine 60K pull on Ebay wanting $1.7K. Am sure most forum members know better, but let me share a past experience with you.

Japanese pull engines are supposed to have about 60K miles on them, sounded good, and I had overheated my 1987 EA82 engine, due to a burst radiator. It still ran okay (once if cooled down and radiator replaced) but all the seals were leaking, so I thought why not get a fresh 60K engine.

Was nice and pretty but decided to flush the cooling chambers and crankcase while it was out, looked like they had been using water from mud puddles, and the oil residue was black (real dirty inside).

This supposed 60K engine ran no better than the 200K engine it replaced. and if that's what 60K Japanese miles are like I sure wouldn't want to see their 100K or highrer.

Would have been better off (and saved money) re-sealing my old EA82 (all that glitters isn't gold).

Chicane 03-16-2004 10:20 PM

I emailed that guy and told him I hoped he was joking. $1700 is ridiculous.

- Rob

Tofu 03-16-2004 10:30 PM

Most Japanese longblocks do have 30-60K miles, due to the peculiar tax structure on cars over there, but you're right; they may be low mileage by US standards, but rest assured they are HARD miles, especially the more popular engines (SR20, 1JZE, 2JZE, etc.)......

My mechanic buddy says that doing a straight swap is usually good for about a year before the engine fails, on average, unless you tear down and rebuild the thing upon receipt.

slacker 03-16-2004 10:31 PM

Based my experience, I wouldn't give $500 delivered. May look nice, but it's a POS.

NomadTW 03-16-2004 11:24 PM

www.nipponmotors.com i believe that they have ej33's there... they're good, everyone has had good experiences w/ them

and apparently if you ask nicely when ordering they'll throw an ecu in for free

87f383 03-17-2004 07:30 AM

I have used a JDM EJ22 in my legacy, when the stock engine started knocking (thank you previous owner). So far so good. Got it from www.asapmotors.com Plus, if it breaks...they are in houston...only a 4 hour drive to give them the old "discount tire" treatment. Plus they internally inspect and give them a leak down test before shipping. I've also gotten a tranny for my friends Jetta from them...its been holding strong for quite some time...and he drives like a moron. Every shift is part of the 24 hours of Le Mans to him.

shoden 03-17-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
www.nipponmotors.com i believe that they have ej33's there... they're good, everyone has had good experiences w/ them

and apparently if you ask nicely when ordering they'll throw an ecu in for free

I think you meant www.nippon-motors.com with a "-" as opposed to the one with no "-". That other one looks like one of those stupid search pages that tries to take advantage of a better known site's traffic :mad:

Anyway, they do have ej33s available... for $2500.

mbtoloczko 03-17-2004 10:55 AM

The SVX has an EG33.

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 11:11 AM

Yea, what's an EJ33??? :D:D

slacker 03-18-2004 06:47 PM

Re: What's an EJ33

Green Gyreen: Imagine it's the Japanese version of the EG33 with different pollution accessories. I know my Japanese EA82 had a totally different carburetor and vacuum line setup, we changed the entire intake manifold log, vacuum lines and carburetor from my old engine.

87F383: My EA82 from MZM Intl. in Austin also had a guarante, but there's the matter of pulling it and reinstalling it (I paid $350 for my local installation). The Japanese EA82 didn't fail, it just didn't impress, had hoped for near like new performance, but noticed no difference from my leaky old 200K mile EA82.

What I should have considered, is on the tiny island of Japan there isn't much space to drive a car like it needs to be driven. Mostly putt putt around town in traffic idling and never really warming up and staying warm for all the junk to melt down into the pan, and judging by what I found, they aren't big on oil changes (if at all).