The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Radio works without Antenna? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14971)

nnjsvx 12-10-2003 08:47 PM

Radio works without Antenna?

Does the SVX have a diversity antenna system or just the motorized mast.

I recently damaged my antenna mast and the antenna motor was skippng so I pulled the antenna stem out and broke it off and then fed out the pusher plastic and cut it off and the radio worked fine. I had a local car audio shop tell me they could put in an after market so I said get one but when it came it was the wrong size. It appears there is no aftermarket replacement. They of couse pulled the entire motor assembly before realizing anything but when I picked it up tonight the radio ( Pioneer double din about 45 days new) still worked fine even after the 50 mile drive home, including distant fringe stations. No static isuues and it sounds better. Also had new Pioneer door speakers put in today.

I can't decide if I want to bother ordering a new motor and mast. I will figure out something for the mast hole if I take this route.

Any thoughts?

Seraph 12-10-2003 08:57 PM

Re: Radio works without Antenna?

Quote:

Originally posted by nnjsvx
Does the SVX have a diversity antenna system or just the motorized mast.

Any thoughts?

Stock system has diversity antenna

SubaSteevo 12-10-2003 10:38 PM

It actually uses the rear defroster as an antenna and automatically chooses the one it thinks is getting better reception. Try listening to the radio and then turning your rear defroster on, you'll notice the static ;)

svx_commuter 12-11-2003 07:18 AM

Re: Re: Radio works without Antenna?

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

Stock system has diversity antenna

What does "diversity" mean in this usage? Please. :)

Seraph 12-11-2003 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Radio works without Antenna?

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter

What does "diversity" mean in this usage? Please. :)

I'll take the input from both antennas and depending on which is giving a better reception, it'll use that. Again, I could be wrong but I had a TV tuner that did that same thing.

mohrds 12-11-2003 08:44 AM

A new antenna mast would most likely solve your problem. They are available from Subaruparts.com for around $35.

Go to www.svxworldnetwork.org
go to the "How To" section and there will be an antenna mast replacement. Its pretty easy and doesn't require too many tools.

Doug

nnjsvx 12-11-2003 06:05 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I will try the rear defroster when I pick it up Saturday from having stabilizer links installed.

I will post a reply on my findings.

I would just do the mast but th motor is also "slipping".

nnjsvx 12-12-2003 07:52 PM

I picked up my car tonight instaed of tomorrow and the radio works just fine even with the rear defroster on. I even turned on the sideview defrosters and still no problem. The fringe stations had no change either. There was condensation/frost on the rear window. It was below 30 tonight.

I may put a new motor and mast in with a separate switch to raise and lower when needed.

I am keeping the SVX under cover in a vinyl shelter (quonset hut/greenhouse) with nothing else in the shelter. The hand crank (like an awning) roll up door does not go up high enough to miss the antenna and I am sure my wife or I will forget to lower the antenna before entry or exit and repeat the damage routine. I know I could forget the second switch as well.

This may all seem strange to some but works for me to reduce opprtunity of error.