The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   A question about moderation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14916)

upnygimp 12-07-2003 10:45 PM

A question about moderation

Well, this question is going to seem odd, but I'm trying to make a point with the moderation crew of another message board. They seem to think that a lot of moderation and strict is key to keeping order in a messageboard. But, I also spend a lot of time around here and it seems like there is very little moderator activity. They don't seem to believe that this is even possible at all. So here are my questions for you. First, how many moderators do you have total for this board? And second, how many threads do you lock/delete or otherwise get rid of on say a weekly basis.

I'm just going to add that I truly think this is one of the best automotive message boards I have come across on the net. You guys know how to do it right, and I wish my other favorite board can learn from this one.

Thanks a bunch.

Noir 12-07-2003 10:49 PM

i'm not a moderator, but i believe there is little moderation here. fortunately, we have a smaller crowd that <cough> slightly more mature. unless someone gets offended and a flame war starts, it's pretty tame in here. kinda nice :D. i've noticed other forums like nasioc that can get a little haywire with their numbers and some dirty laundry seems to air alot there. it's almost like a soap opera.

Seraph 12-07-2003 11:19 PM

We have 2 moderators and 2 admins.

We are trying to add more moderators and (hopefully admins too). It's all done behind the scenes. ;)

Yes. I too think we need more moderators and admins on the board. Also, we should share the load between moderators too.

Noir 12-09-2003 06:48 PM

i think that this forum is more civil than lots out there.

Aredubjay 12-10-2003 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Noir
i think that this forum is more civil than lots out there.
I think that's because, for the most part, we do a darned good job of policing ourselves.

When I was moderating, I would delete a post, or thread, from time to time. Mostly, because I could see the writing (flames) on the wall.

Still, I think we do a pretty good job of taking care of our problems. I know that, when some members get offended, or upset, there is a lot of PM'ing and private conversation that takes place, instead of letting the whole bunch of us get in an uproar. Of course, it hasn't ALL been suppressed -- just reminds us that we're all human.

Even with its faults, and even though I get a little steamed, now and again, this is a great place to be. I'm addicted and can't seem to leave, no matter how pi$$ed I get. :D

Uncamitzi 12-10-2003 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Even with its faults, and even though I get a little steamed, now and again, this is a great place to be. I'm addicted and can't seem to leave, no matter how pi$$ed I get. :D

yeah..... me too

Green1995SVX 12-10-2003 04:59 PM

I would say that I delete or lock a thread maybe once every 2 weeks or so. This forum has a great bunch of people that generally dont get upset. At this time last year I think we had only EVER locked 2 threads in the forum's history. We've grown a little and with that comes a bit more conflict. I agree we could use another moderator or two, but I don't have the power to appoint anyone. :(

Mike

Aredubjay 12-11-2003 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncamitzi

yeah..... me too

:D

ensteele 12-11-2003 08:51 AM

I have not had to delete very many posts either. I have only had to lock a few threads from time to time to keep problems from occuring or stopping them. :)