The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Buying a 6 spd (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47027)

McTaff 11-25-2008 04:46 AM

Buying a 6 spd

Enough talk.

I'm getting a 6 spd DCCD through 'E'. I'm back in the country mid-Jan and will hopefully get started sometime in the first half of next year. It'll be going in the pearlie. It's my wedding present to me.

dynomatt 11-25-2008 08:29 PM

Re: Buying a 6 spd

Well done...you'll love it

M

svxistentialist 11-26-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTaff (Post 573490)
Enough talk.

I'm getting a 6 spd DCCD through 'E'. I'm back in the country mid-Jan and will hopefully get started sometime in the first half of next year. It'll be going in the pearlie. It's my wedding present to me.

Good stuff McTaff. :D

How will you control the DCCD? If you use the TCU from the Impreza, will it work independently of the ECU from the SVX?

Joe :)

McTaff 11-26-2008 04:36 PM

The DCCD controller will come with it, as will the R180 w/sensor and so on. What I'm getting is almost a complete kit.

As far as I am aware, the ECU in the SVX doesn't need to receive anything back from the TCU?

I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but there is plenty of knowledge around here to draw on: to be honest the wiring is the part that makes me nervous. In any case, I'm not the first to do this and I'm sure I'll be able to find out here exactly what needs to be done there. I'm not doing the install myself - there are a couple of people on the board who have already offered to help me out and I intend to take full advantage of the experience we have here.

svxistentialist 11-26-2008 05:48 PM

It is likely the ECU will work OK with the 6 speed, loads of people have put them in.

I'm not too certain of how many may have put in one that uses the DCCD, that's another level of complication. Assuming the DCCD controller "talks" to the gearbox and they get on about their business, I expect all should work OK.

In the SVX the TCU communicates with the ECU. As the gearchanges happen the ECU cuts power [possibly momentarily drops out one side of the flat six, I'm not 100% sure how it works] so that the clutches are saved and the gearchange is smooth. With a manual SVX the ECU does not get this signal, so this communication pattern is not a problem.

However, a problem you will have to overcome is the detente on starting. The engine will not start unless it gets a signal the gearbox is in Neutral or Park. You will have to fool the ECU into "thinking" the auto box is in Neutral.

SFAIK there are possibly two ways to achieve this. The guy putting in your box will probably know how to wire this.

Joe

oab_au 11-26-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 573723)
It is likely the ECU will work OK with the 6 speed, loads of people have put them in.

I'm not too certain of how many may have put in one that uses the DCCD, that's another level of complication. Assuming the DCCD controller "talks" to the gearbox and they get on about their business, I expect all should work OK.

In the SVX the TCU communicates with the ECU. As the gearchanges happen the ECU cuts power [possibly momentarily drops out one side of the flat six, I'm not 100% sure how it works] so that the clutches are saved and the gearchange is smooth. With a manual SVX the ECU does not get this signal, so this communication pattern is not a problem.

However, a problem you will have to overcome is the detente on starting. The engine will not start unless it gets a signal the gearbox is in Neutral or Park. You will have to fool the ECU into "thinking" the auto box is in Neutral.

SFAIK there are possibly two ways to achieve this. The guy putting in your box will probably know how to wire this.

Joe

There is a difference in using the Park or Neutral, for starting the engine. Hopefully Phil will find this, but the engine does a different start up routine when started in P than when started in N. Just my guess.:)

The other point on the DCCD, is that the original Australian TCU can be set to do the normal control over the center diff in the 6 speed the same as it does in the 4eat with VTD.

Harvey.

Harvey.

legacyau 11-27-2008 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 573726)
There is a difference in using the Park or Neutral, for starting the engine. Hopefully Phil will find this, but the engine does a different start up routine when started in P than when started in N. Just my guess.:)

The other point on the DCCD, is that the original Australian TCU can be set to do the normal control over the center diff in the 6 speed the same as it does in the 4eat with VTD.

Harvey.

Harvey.

Hey Harvey does the ecu set a different fuel map in neutral as opposed to being in gear ?

cam

oab_au 11-27-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacyau (Post 573771)
Hey Harvey does the ecu set a different fuel map in neutral as opposed to being in gear ?

cam

I am not sure where I found this, but it would appear that it does the start up differently. It probably treats the P start more as the first start of the day (depending on the temp) where as the N start, as a restart. I think the fast idle time is altered.

Harvey.

dynomatt 11-27-2008 03:36 PM

When I rewired mine, I thought there was only one thick wire that went into the transmission loom. That was effectively the main start feed that went to the starter solenoid. If you short that out, then the starter works everytime you turn the key.

If there was a link to the ECU, I'm not sure how it would work.

Unless there was two wires to the starter solenoid...one for N and one for P and I just don't remember.

Matt

oab_au 11-27-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynomatt (Post 573840)
When I rewired mine, I thought there was only one thick wire that went into the transmission loom. That was effectively the main start feed that went to the starter solenoid. If you short that out, then the starter works everytime you turn the key.

If there was a link to the ECU, I'm not sure how it would work.

Unless there was two wires to the starter solenoid...one for N and one for P and I just don't remember.

Matt

The ECU gets both the P and N signals from the Shift lever switch. It would use this to tell if the car is in gear, or just running at Idle.
It may not make much difference, but I do wonder why it needs to know, if it is in P or N? I think it is to do with the Idle routine.

Harvey.

'E' 11-27-2008 04:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and here it is..........

oab_au 11-27-2008 04:30 PM

That looks like it is a pretty complete kit. :)

Just got to make it happen.:)

Harvey.

McTaff 11-27-2008 04:30 PM

The Meccano set from hell....

Dessertrunner 11-27-2008 11:31 PM

Its different on our car from the USA ones as the speedo is throught the TCU so you have to cut a couple of wires. The N & P switch is just to stop the car being started in gear, doesn't have much to do with the rest. Any effect on the idle is not that big an issue. It would take about 3 hours to fix the speedo, cruise and starter circut. Part of this involves poping a diode from the left side of the dash to get the cruise going.
Tony

TomsSVX 11-27-2008 11:49 PM

Just for the record, the ECU sees a signal at the N & P pins only when there is voltage at them. So if there is no +v to the pins the ECU assumes a P or N state. The fueling *may* be different at start-up but the loaded maps are still the same

Tom