The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to replace a fuel pump? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57463)

jcimos 05-31-2011 05:08 PM

How to replace a fuel pump?

Hi everyone it been a while seen I have been on the forum. I got into an accident a 1.5 years ago and the body was totaled. Luckily the motor and the 5mt tranny was okay and the car still runs:D. I had finally found a shell recently and got the motor and tranny swapped. I would like to swap the fuel pump but i don't know where it is located. Does anyone know how to do this?

davew833 05-31-2011 06:10 PM

Re: How to replace a fuel pump?

You could probably do a thread search and find a detailed answer, but just briefly it's under the bottom cushion of the back seat. You'll see a shiny round metal cover about 7-8" in diameter with wires running into it and 3 or 4 bolts holding it on and it's under that. After you remove that you'll see another cover with three hoses running into it and a big black plastic ring that unscrews. Take that off, pull the cover out, and shine a flashlight down into the tank and you'll see the bracket the fuel pump hangs on. I think there's one bolt or nut that holds the fuel pump and float assemblies to the bracket. They sort of interlock and you have to pull out one piece at a time.

ensteele 05-31-2011 07:09 PM

It might just be in the How-To Documents! Yep it is. :D

jcimos 06-01-2011 01:43 PM

Thanks for the info but i am trying to take the full pump out of my 94 and put it into my 92. So I checked all over and could not find the thread:confused:. So can someone please give me the exact link?

icingdeath88 06-01-2011 01:50 PM

I also looked in the how-to docs and didn't find it. Earl? Maybe one didn't get uploaded?

jcimos 06-02-2011 09:06 AM

Well just for the sake of it I have been looking up and down threads for awhile now on this information. Still no luck on finding out where and how to remove the fuel pump out of a 94 LS-L SVX :(. If anyone may have a an idea please let me know.

Conn SVX 06-02-2011 10:25 AM

Take out the back seat . "The gas tank is the back seat." Once you do the the pump is right there . Remove the screws and pull it out replace the gasket and put in the new one . Don't buy the cheap Delfi one
exact directions as from the manual
Disconnect the battery
Release the pressure
Keep the harness disconnected after u release the pressure
Clamp the main hose to prevent gas from spilling out
Remove the hoses and remove the mounting bolts and remove the pump.

Cam 06-02-2011 10:31 AM

You do not need to remove the back seat. Undo the four screws on the back of the seat and fold the carpet back. It's actually under the carpet behind the seat. You will need a drift punch and hammer to remove the cap. After that there is a bracket that clips over three separate pieces that sit in a slotted mold. You need to remove the bracket, then maneuver things until you get the arm with the pump out. it makes more sense once you look at it.

Freeman 06-02-2011 11:57 AM

Make sure when you do all of this, that you're in an open area with no smoking or fire risk. Open your sunroof (if you have one), both your doors, your gas door (remove cap), your trunk, and open your windows.

jcimos 06-09-2011 10:55 AM

Hey guy thanks a lot for the help and I was finally able to replace the pump.:) Well the fuel pump is in now and the car is idling high. The engine has been idling like that ever since i flipped the first car in an accident. I took the flipped SVX's engine and put it into a new svx body. What could cause it to idle so high?:confused: