The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55771)

dannmarr 10-18-2010 09:05 PM

Tranny problem

My mechanic swaped a Legacy Trans into my SVX. Runs great except for a ticking sound from the rear of the engine. I can hear it only when idling and not all the time. Sometimes it's consistant, sometimes it comes and goes. It also makes a clunking sound at start up. Is this the flexplate?

Green1995SVX 10-18-2010 09:26 PM

Re: Tranny problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 660865)
My mechanic swaped a Legacy Trans into my SVX. Runs great except for a ticking sound from the rear of the engine. I can hear it only when idling and not all the time. Sometimes it's consistant, sometimes it comes and goes. It also makes a clunking sound at start up. Is this the flexplate?

It sounds like it could be the flexplate.

newkid17 10-19-2010 08:20 AM

yes, the flexplate bolts need tightened, put a small amount of locktight on them. just enought to keep them in theree but not enough that you cant get them out the next time you need to.
my car did the same thing when i replaced the transmission.

dannmarr 10-19-2010 09:30 PM

Does the trans need to be removed?

svxfiles 10-19-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 660954)
Does the trans need to be removed?

Yes.
Also make sure that both locating dowels are installed!

dannmarr 10-20-2010 01:51 PM

Is it possible to pull the trans out just enough to check the flexplate? If it has to come out completly that = more $:eek:

svxfiles 10-20-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 661003)
Is it possible to pull the trans out just enough to check the flexplate? If it has to come out completly that = more $:eek:

It has to be at least about six inches back to remove the flexplate.
And while you are down there you might as well replace the rear main seal (WITH A SUBARU PART!) and reseal the access cover.
Did I mention the dowels?

dannmarr 10-21-2010 01:53 PM

Can you please provide a write up in the procedure of removing the flexplate without removing the whole trans? My Mechanic isn't shure about doing it without removing the whole thing. Thanks!

svxfiles 10-21-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 661063)
Can you please provide a write up in the procedure of removing the flexplate without removing the whole trans? My Mechanic isn't shure about doing it without removing the whole thing. Thanks!

Well, there's a delicate corneal inversion procedure... a multi-opti-pupil-optomy. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me!

svxfiles 10-21-2010 03:48 PM

:rolleyes:
Yes, the transmission has to be compleatly removed from the engine, but after you have it out of the way you can access the flexplate.

newkid17 10-21-2010 09:31 PM

:lol: too funny!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 661069)
Well, there's a delicate corneal inversion procedure... a multi-opti-pupil-optomy. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me!