The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where is vin 001? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53476)

NiftySVX 03-16-2010 07:20 PM

Where is vin 001?

The PPG pace car vin was JF1CX...002. I wonder where 001 is? I am going to assume it is the black one spotted in california running with the thunderbird supercoupe in 90? Anyone know/care to speculate?

Do we think this car exists still?

We know it did.

Where is it?

I want to see it.

1986nate 03-16-2010 07:23 PM

Re: Where is vin 001?

It's all speculation. 001 could be the prototype but truthfully, SOA are probably the only ones who know.:(

Edit: I meant where and what 001 was speculation or unknown. I also had pics of the plate of the pace car and saw it was 002

svxcess 03-16-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 638498)
It's all speculation. 001 could be the prototype but truthfully, SOA are probably the only ones who know.:(

Someone must have taken a photo of the door sill plate with the manufacture date of the pace car (#002)

I doubt that the prototype would be #001, since it was shown at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show (October 26-November 6, 1989) Concept cars usually don't have production numbers.

FHI would be the ones to verify, SOA wouldn't have a clue. The prototype is still located in Japan.

Green1995SVX 03-16-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 638502)
Someone must have taken a photo of the door sill plate with themanufacture date of the pace car (#002)

I doubt that the prototype would be #001, since it was shown at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show (October 26-November 6, 1989) Concept cars usually don't have production numbers.

FHI would be the ones to verify, SOA wouldn't have a clue. The prototype is still located in Japan.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...x/IMG_1634.jpg

NiftySVX 03-16-2010 08:09 PM

No you're right of course the prototype on display wouldn't have a vin number obviously. But I bet the running prototype did. It is highly likely that the car shown in that one article "SVX shapes up for Subaru" from awhile back (i'm too lazy to link to it) had a vin because if I remember correctly the manufacturers must clear it with the govt before they can test it on us roads.

It is also possible that vin 001 was used in crash testing outside of subaru and was destroyed, but I doubt that. I am almost certain that VIN 001 is a largely hand built unit that was used for initial road testing in the final stages of production before the factory was tooled to build it.

In fact, what is the earliest vin we have on record? isn't it like 145 or so?

When I was in high school the VO-Tech center had a 1993 camaro with vin 001. It was used to train GM field reps for new product and then donated by GM after they were done. It was the instructor's prized posession. An ugly purple V6 car if memory serves...but i digress.

It is a reasonable hypothesis that 001 was kept in japan and vin 002 was sent to the US ASAP for promotion as we were the primary market for the car.

This is something we should ask Subaru to reveal to us on the occasion of the car's 20th anniversary.

NiftySVX 03-16-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 638502)
Someone must have taken a photo of the door sill plate with themanufacture date of the pace car (#002)

Also, do you have personal knowledge that the prototype still exists? This would be both a surprise and a delight.

svxistentialist 03-16-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638507)
It is a reasonable hypothesis that 001 was kept in japan and vin 002 was sent to the US ASAP for promotion as we were the primary market for the car.

This is something we should ask Subaru to reveal to us on the occasion of the car's 20th anniversary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638508)
Also, do you have personal knowledge that the prototype still exists? This would be both a surprise and a delight.

Without hard information this is purely an hypothesis.

The USA may have been the target market and the volume export, but I'll point out that the VIN plate listed with the Pace car vin is shown in USA format. [ Version L, Lsi etc that we never see over here. Plus lhd] It is not beyond the realms of possibility that production number 001 is actually retained as an important vehicle for Fuji, and is in Japanese market trim and is rhd.

Does anybody know the truth?

Joe

svxcess 03-16-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638508)

Yes they do.(It seems there are 2 of them... :)......and they have both been repainted red :mad:

In storage near FHI. Believed to be in running condition, but not sure. VINs could not both be 001. My guess is that the VINs were for cars actually rolling off of the assembly line after production began. My guess is that the prototypes probably did not have them.

Hold onto your hats on this one.

Most of last year, while inquiring about the Pace Car availability for Reading X, I also inquired about the possibility of the Prototype SVX for the 20th Anniversary meet. SOA made some inquiries concerning this with people at FHI.

Bottom line: They would need at least a year's notice in advance of when and where the meet would be held (We haven't even come close to having a decision on either. Plus the place we decided on would have to have the appropriate accommodations as stated below) I was told that there were conditions that had to be accepted and meet with their approval.

The prototype would need to be flown by jet cargo transport both ways to and from Japan.

A minimum of three people from FHI would be travelling with the prototype. Add in their round-trip airfare, accommodations at the hotel and food, plus compensation for their travel time and exhibition days (FHI would not pay them for these days, almost a week)

The car would have to be parked inside on display and have adequate round-the-clock security.

Add special insurance on the prototype while during transit and while away from home, various tariffs and duties, etc. etc...

In short, FHI would consider it for a ballpark price of between $25,000-$30,000 for a three-day event (in 2009 dollars) :eek:

I am sure they may have set that figure so high as to completely discourage us from pursuing this. If we agreed to the price, then I am sure they would use the other requirements/ restrictions to say no.

Easier and honorable way to save face than to say: "No way, John San, it just ain't gonna happen in your lifetime"

svxcess 03-16-2010 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

On a somewhat related note, my wife has a chance to take a 6-week TDY to Misawa, Japan, Aomori Prefecture early next year. Logistics would have me stay home to take care of the house, cats, etc.

If I could take care of all of this and travel with her for those 6 weeks, I found out that Gunma (and FHI) are only 415 miles apart. :rolleyes:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1268797800

If it were still the original pearl with the white interior, I might be tempted to try to arrange to see it...

but now it probably just looks like a 93 anniversary edition with a body kit.

svxcess 03-16-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Would like to find the manufacture date for that one. 0002 was built in 10/90 and the first SVX sold in America was registered sometime in middle-late June, 1991. See HERE

We don't know what travel time was from japan to port and how long the car sat at the dealership.

Lots of unanswered questions. But can we find answers after 20 years?

dbarnblatt 03-16-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 638527)
If it were still the original pearl with the white interior, I might be tempted to try to arrange to see it...

but now it probably just looks like a 93 anniversary edition with a body kit.

Here are a few pics of it I think:

http://poyo.biz/svx/contents/prototype/prototype.html

svxcess 03-16-2010 11:05 PM

Those photos show a distinct wide-body effect of the front and rear fenders. Notice how the fenders bulge compared to the doors.

Not a smooth clean line like in the production models.

Alex-svx 03-16-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarnblatt (Post 638530)

Whis i have that one.. :) like the ''wild bodykit'';)

SURTEESS 03-16-2010 11:19 PM

Notice the rear tail - it is molded into the trunk.............

ensteele 03-16-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

The earliest one I have on record is in the US - #100041 - a LS-L manufactured 3/91. It is a California car owned by S'ko - Liquid Silver with 160,000 miles.