The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Check Engine light question (Tranny Related??) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45092)

mysvxrocks 06-10-2008 07:11 PM

Check Engine light question (Tranny Related??)

So my check engine light comes on when I start my car from a cold start, and its causing my tranny to not shift correctly. Ill floor it at like 20 and it seems like I am in 4th gear... the RPMs will go up correctly, but there is no power to the wheels. It will stay on for maybe 2-3 minutes on a cold start, then when it goes off, everything works correctly again, and the tranny shifts smooth. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I asked about checking it for codes, but the people at the auto store said it wouldn't show anything unless my CE light was on. Which it never is by the time I get to the store. Like I said, it only does this on a dead cold start, and does not come back on, even if I shut the car off and turn it back on again. Any ideas? Thanks -Dennis

redlightningsvx 06-10-2008 07:20 PM

Is your engine temp gauge in the middle when this happens or is is dead at the bottom?

oab_au 06-10-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysvxrocks (Post 551461)
So my check engine light comes on when I start my car from a cold start, and its causing my tranny to not shift correctly. Ill floor it at like 20 and it seems like I am in 4th gear... the RPMs will go up correctly, but there is no power to the wheels. It will stay on for maybe 2-3 minutes on a cold start, then when it goes off, everything works correctly again, and the tranny shifts smooth. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I asked about checking it for codes, but the people at the auto store said it wouldn't show anything unless my CE light was on. Which it never is by the time I get to the store. Like I said, it only does this on a dead cold start, and does not come back on, even if I shut the car off and turn it back on again. Any ideas? Thanks -Dennis

Can't see it being related to the tranny Dennis. Seems more like it is shifting back a gear, but the engine just dies.
You should be able to check the codes, following the 'How to", it will store the trouble code that was there.:)

Harvey.

mysvxrocks 06-10-2008 09:10 PM

Its when its warming up. Its not in the middle, but its not at the bottom either.

Ill see if I can find that how to, and we'll see what happens. -Dennis

Wikedjuggalo 06-10-2008 09:13 PM

Idk but mine has done this thing when its from a cold start if I don't baby it for the first mile or 2 it will shake really bad when idle and sometimes come off ; ;

mysvxrocks 06-11-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 551497)
Idk but mine has done this thing when its from a cold start if I don't baby it for the first mile or 2 it will shake really bad when idle and sometimes come off ; ;

Exactly the same as mine. How long has yours been doing this? Any solution for yours?

YourConfused 06-11-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 551463)
You should be able to check the codes, following the 'How to", it will store the trouble code that was there.:)

Harvey.

So what code did you get?

Wikedjuggalo 06-11-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysvxrocks (Post 551514)
Exactly the same as mine. How long has yours been doing this? Any solution for yours?

/hijack
Nope only happens if I don't let the car warm up from cold (over night parking) sometimes it does it other times it doesnt I'm not sure why but I'd love to know why and fix it anyone has an idea

bwb3 06-11-2008 08:40 AM

Mine acted similar. Light went off after the temperature started going up and power came back to normal. Found stored code for knock sensor. Put in a new one and all is well.
Gene

Wikedjuggalo 06-11-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 551539)
Mine acted similar. Light went off after the temperature started going up and power came back to normal. Found stored code for knock sensor. Put in a new one and all is well.
Gene

Thats next on my list I am sure that will help

bwb3 06-11-2008 11:30 AM

Just remember there are 2 of them. The code will identify which is the offender if it is a knock sensor
Gene

mysvxrocks 06-11-2008 02:29 PM

Am I doing something wrong here or what... every time that I try to go into the how to section, it NEVER shows anything there. It just says that there havent been any posts in the last 30 days. Then when I sort them from the start, only 4 show up........ What am I doing wrong here??

bwb3 06-11-2008 02:44 PM

Click on the "How-To Documents" at the top right of the page, then click "Electrical".
Gene

mysvxrocks 06-11-2008 08:31 PM

Wow um..... ok.... here are the codes......

14 Fuel Injector No. 1 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
15 Fuel Injector No. 2 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
16 Fuel Injector No. 3 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
18 Fuel Injector No. 5 (SVX)
19 Fuel Injector No. 6 (SVX)
22 Knock Sensor or Circuit (Right Side on SVX)

Why is it throwing so many codes at me? What is wrong now :mad:

oab_au 06-11-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysvxrocks (Post 551623)
Wow um..... ok.... here are the codes......

14 Fuel Injector No. 1 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
15 Fuel Injector No. 2 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
16 Fuel Injector No. 3 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
18 Fuel Injector No. 5 (SVX)
19 Fuel Injector No. 6 (SVX)
22 Knock Sensor or Circuit (Right Side on SVX)

Why is it throwing so many codes at me? What is wrong now :mad:

There may be some old ones there. I would clear the memory, and see what it has the next time the light comes on.

Harvey.