The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Anyone got a 2005 Legacy GT? I have questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44652)

halistan 05-06-2008 01:30 PM

Anyone got a 2005 Legacy GT? I have questions

I'm looking at a black/beige 05 Legacy GT wagon to replace my acura CL-S. I found a good deal on one, and it drives like its brand new but it has 120K miles on it. yep, thats right, 120K. The purchase date was 6/05 so i'm pretty sure it was majority highway miles but i'm still unsure about the tranny.

The dealer is willing to replace the timing belt and water pump, so i'm not worried at all about that. These engines can take a beating, but what about the tranny? Does anyone know if the Legacy suffers from any tranny longevity issues?

AndrewR 05-06-2008 01:32 PM

Got a bunch of friends with the manual version, no issues at all. (transmission that is)

Make sure the fans recall is done, as well as the instrument cluster rattle recall.

halistan 05-06-2008 01:48 PM

Oh yeah, i should have mentioned

This is an automatic. I'd like a manual, but alas, it is not. Still rides great though. Any known issues with auto tranny failure?

PS. Thanks for the heads up on those recalls. I'll check into that before i buy it.

AndrewR 05-06-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halistan (Post 546051)
This is an automatic. I'd like a manual, but alas, it is not. Still rides great though. Any known issues with auto tranny failure?

PS. Thanks for the heads up on those recalls. I'll check into that before i buy it.

I have had 2 2000+ legacies with the 4Eat, and it was very reliable.

Generally, a well maintained non SVX tranny will last forever.

I know of people with well over 300K on an auto with no issues (subaru)

Older Turbo leggies are somewhat prone - usually maintenance related (91-94) and as you know, it is going to happen on SVX's

No real info for you on the 5EAT, sorry.

lilbrudder 05-06-2008 02:27 PM

i have a 05 gt limited sedan(black with tan), but mines manual. awsome car, best color IMO, you won't regret getting one but that's alot of miles for any car. that being said if it is in great shape/well maintained/ and the price is right you're set.
as for the auto tranny i haven't heard any thing bad but i also haven't been looking....this will help. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/?

Landshark 05-06-2008 10:45 PM

i have a 5EAT LGT, and this tranny is SOOOOOO much better than the craptastic 4EAT.

don't know about longevity - i only have ~23k miles on it, but its been stage 2 for most of its life with no problems.

Mike621 05-08-2008 12:20 PM

I had an 07 SE Sedan with a manual trans. Nice car, but the dash and speakers rattled by the time I sold the car with 19k on it.

Landshark 05-08-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 546453)
I had an 07 SE Sedan with a manual trans. Nice car, but the dash and speakers rattled by the time I sold the car with 19k on it.

there was a service bulletin for the dash rattle - its the fuel lines behind the driver's kick panel.

i fixed it in 5 minutes with some foam weatherstrip rather than make an appointment with the dealer and wait who knows how long.

Mike621 05-08-2008 12:53 PM

Gotcha.

The entire time I owned that car I wished I had gotten a wagon instead. Regardless, now is not a good time for car payments for me so off with a new owner it went.:rolleyes:

halistan 05-09-2008 07:53 AM

hmm, still considering it

Well, the car seems to be in fantastic shape, and the salesman said they'd be willing to put a new timing belt, water pump and re-seal the engine before I bought it (at no additional cost). They are asking 14k for it but I'd expressed my misgivings about the tranny and the fact that it takes premium and gets worse gas mileage than the acura i'm driving now and told him i wouldn't pay more than 10k for it and they're actually considering it (now i wish i had told him 8 or 9 lol)

Thats still a lot of miles and with gas going up, i still have concerns. Although, it would lower my car payment and it has about as many miles as my acura does, so its still makes some financial sense if it'll last longer than my acura. From what i hear, the CL's really start falling apart after 100k and i'm starting to feel it. The tranny in this car sucks and i expect it to start slipping any time now.

One other thing...are the 2.5 turbos interferance engines? I know the 3.3's aren't but i wasn't sure about the 2.5's

Mike621 05-09-2008 08:02 AM

I had a hard time squeezing $15000 out of people looking at my 07 SE sedan with 19k on it.

Landshark 05-09-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halistan (Post 546612)
..... and the fact that it takes premium and gets worse gas mileage than the acura i'm driving now ....

be prepared - i get 16-17mpg when i drive normally (crazy) and 17-19mpg when i drive like a turtle. the fun is worth it, though.

Quote:

One other thing...are the 2.5 turbos interferance engines? I know the 3.3's aren't but i wasn't sure about the 2.5's

not definite, but PRETTY sure they aren't, as i've never heard of any catastrophic timing belt failures. if it wasn't done during its life, at 120k its overdue for a new timing belt water pump anyway.