The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   help...hunk of crap wont start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16065)

MYgreen92 01-29-2004 05:48 PM

help...hunk of crap wont start

Ok, one night, i was taking off from a stoplight, and all of a sudden, the car stalls...umm, ok. hit the key, turns over like 35 times and no fire...lotsa curse words come out of my mouth as i realized i had to push the car by myself at 2 am in 15 degree temp over half a block to the shop (i only weigh like 135, so it was a workout). Next day, after some diagnosing, i assume it was the fuel pressure regulator. order a new one of subie...$120, ouch...still no fire. finally give in and take it to the dealership. they said they could get no communication with the ecu whatsoever, and that teh ecu wasnt communicating with the engine at all. They said that their best guess is that the ecu fried...crap. After searching, Green1995svx sold me his for a good price. got it today, installed it, still no fire at all, car just turns over endlessly...doesnt even want to start. i hate this car and just want it to run already...any help would be grealy appreciated

immortal_suby 01-29-2004 05:55 PM

timing belt?

MYgreen92 01-29-2004 05:56 PM

its a brand new belt. but i can check, however, would that explain the non communication?

benebob 01-29-2004 07:13 PM

Fuse or fusable link?

MYgreen92 01-29-2004 07:30 PM

all fuses are perfect...checked them all

JLittell 01-29-2004 08:20 PM

Hunk of crap??:(

MYgreen92 01-29-2004 08:22 PM

yeah, if you only knew the problems I've had with this car...

Aredubjay 01-30-2004 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MYgreen92
yeah, if you only knew the problems I've had with this car...
Oh, believe us, we know. :D (or, at least, I do)

Fusible link would cause zilch -- no crank, no nothin' (I know from experience :rolleyes: )

My recent no-start problem was due to a bad battery. Even though it had juice, it didn't have enough CCA to crank the engine-- even with my booster pack or a jump. Also, was the ECU 'known good?' Is the fuel pump working? Can you draw codes from the u-check? If so, ECU is "talking." When was the fuel filter last changed . . . we could go on and on, unfortunately. Have you checked spark, from the igniter?

red95svx 01-30-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Oh, believe us, we know. :D (or, at least, I do)

Fusible link would cause zilch -- no crank, no nothin' (I know from experience :rolleyes: )

My recent no-start problem was due to a bad battery. Even though it had juice, it didn't have enough CCA to crank the engine-- even with my booster pack or a jump. Also, was the ECU 'known good?' Is the fuel pump working? Can you draw codes from the u-check? If so, ECU is "talking." When was the fuel filter last changed . . . we could go on and on, unfortunately. Have you checked spark, from the igniter?

Randy,
I recently had the same problem on my hibernating 95. I try to run it every so often so the battery won't die, but two weeks ago it needed a jump before it would run. Last week even with a jump it wouldn't start.

Dave

MYgreen92 01-30-2004 12:53 PM

Forgive my ignornance, but what is u-check? also, i have fuel pressure, spark is good at the coils, never changed fuel filter, but it seems to flow good

Aredubjay 01-30-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Forgive my ignornance, but what is u-check? also, i have fuel pressure, spark is good at the coils, never changed fuel filter, but it seems to flow good
U-Check is the self diagnostic (Subaru was cute - U-Check, You-Check -- get it? The Dealer check is D-Check :D), where you put your left foot in and take your left foot out . . . oh, no, that's another thing -- you put the little blue wire in the little black connector and get flashes of lights 'n' stuf that tells what's going on with the car. Instructions are in the "How To" locker. :D

MYgreen92 01-30-2004 03:17 PM

oh, ok...my supra has like that same thing. I tried viewing the instructions, but my comp doesnt have Word. so i cant view them. can you possibly copy and paste them into an email for me? would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Justin

Aredubjay 01-30-2004 03:38 PM

Quote:

oh, ok...my supra has like that same thing. I tried viewing the instructions, but my comp doesnt have Word. so i cant view them. can you possibly copy and paste them into an email for me? would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Justin

Here's a link to a thread with all the info:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...k+Engine+Codes

Earthworm 01-30-2004 04:08 PM

Or here:

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svxiw/

Aredubjay 01-30-2004 04:11 PM

Or here . . .

PSYCH! Just messin' witcha! :D