The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   front dif failure (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54346)

Naru 04-26-2010 01:32 PM

front dif failure

hello all!
ok about the strange noises of my svx.
i just think about it and i think it's maybe a front dif failure.
note : the noises are the same as dead axles put doing it anytime.
so, did anyone have already have problem whit the front dif?
whats the symptoms?
did anyone have already performed the replacement?
thanks! ;)

rbalach 04-28-2010 11:01 AM

Re: front dif failure

In the last two weeks i have started hearing strange noises too. Clicking noises while driving in a straight line. Frequency of the noise seems to match the speed (not engine RPM). Noise is worse during acceleration.

Is that what you are hearing ?

If anybody has any ideas please let us know.

Wikedjuggalo 04-28-2010 11:03 AM

Sound like a card in a bicycle wheel? if so then yes.

Cam 04-28-2010 12:39 PM

I had this experience when I first bought my SVX. The front diff was already broken. When I took it to the shop, I was told there was no Diff fluid present. Surely that is what caused it to fail.

The symptoms I experienced were clicking when moving at all speeds and it did not stop when turning. It quickly worsened (probably because of the lack of fluid). I did not drive it long in this condition as I was unable to.

Before long I heard a very loud pop. This was most likely the diff catching and finally giving way when the mating teeth broke loose. It was quite violent.

I decided to get a used tranny off ebay. Front diff fixed, but a whole bunch of new problems surfaced from the new tranny. Slipping gears, faulty solenoid C, etc. I recommend you have yourcurrent tranny worked on to replace the diff or buy a rebuild from a reputable source. OEM is very expensive and will give the same old problems our trannys are known for.

Short answer is...new tranny. You have a few options there. Search is your friend. Good luck.

Naru 04-28-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 644941)
Sound like a card in a bicycle wheel? if so then yes.

i know this sound.
mine do it when i buy it.
it's a thermal deflector bettwen exaust ( Y_pipe ) and the main axle.
just move it away from the axle, and everything going fine.

my stange noise is exaclty the same as front axle dead.
but it's not, because i have replaced both 1 week ago.

it's a stumble from okm/h to 10km/h.
look like main axle failure.
or maybe the front dif ( oil checked -> ok )
or the bearing of the front dif.

the last possibility is a fried clutch ... :(

oab_au 04-28-2010 05:57 PM

Naru, you can check the front diff by lifting the front of the car up. With the gear lever in P, rotate one wheel forward, so that the other wheel turns backwards, try rotating it both ways. This will let you feel the sun and planet gears for any tooth damage.
Then gear lever in N, hold one wheel from turning, and rotate the other wheel to feel the ring and pinion gears for any tooth damage. Rotate it both ways forward and backwards.

Best of luck.:)
Harvey.

Wikedjuggalo 04-28-2010 06:08 PM

The noise will be there anytime it is moving in gear. The noise would start out slow as my speed was slow. Click click click more and more as speed increased. The way to find out is to drain the front diff look for chunks of metal. Warning though that gear oil stinks and will stain clothes. Ask me how I know....

VICSVX 04-29-2010 04:55 PM

yeah mine popped when i was driving one day and it was an axle i broke...a week later it did it again so i thought it was the other side...when i changed that side, i found that the diff was gone! so my car is InOp:(

the sounds are just like an axle...so i would advise not to drve it!!! :(

rbalach 05-03-2010 06:58 AM

My differential seems to have enough oil in it, so i'm guessing it is some part failing due to old age. Is there a usual suspect in the front differential that causes the problem ? Also, how hard is this to fix, is this something best left to the proffesionals or is this something a home mechanic can tackle ?

Thanks in advance, the time and $ required to fix this problem is going dictate if i sell the car or fix it. :(

svxman07 05-03-2010 08:47 AM

more than likely u have a couple teeth broke off ur ring and pinion in ur diff, i had the same problem and drove it for a week until it just got to sounding too bad i had to finally had to fix it turned out i had 3 teeth missing from the ring gear and 1 mising from the pinion

svxman07 05-03-2010 08:49 AM

unless you are pretty mechanicaly inclined i would leave it to a professional honestly. i did it myself and probly said every cuss word in the book in the process, but i also went from the fwd gear to the awd gear so i had to take the tranny apart and put a new pinion gear in the tranny

AyeJaye 05-03-2010 09:25 AM

It's pretty obvious when you break teeth off the gears. You can usually hear a distinct pattern of clanking/knocking that speeds up as you accellerate. At least that's what mine does.

rbalach 05-03-2010 01:39 PM

Well, the car was in the shop for them to analyze where the noise was coming from, mech says its from the back of the tranny. So i presume the differential theory might not hold (mine is FWD). They quoted $4k to put in a rebuilt tranny.

Picked up the car and will drive as is while i decide what to do with it. :(

1986nate 05-03-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbalach (Post 645548)
Well, the car was in the shop for them to analyze where the noise was coming from, mech says its from the back of the tranny. So i presume the differential theory might not hold (mine is FWD). They quoted $4k to put in a rebuilt tranny.

Picked up the car and will drive as is while i decide what to do with it. :(

If it is coming from the back of the transmission, it is possible that the sun gear is sheering. That is what happened to a transmission core that I got and it was diagnosed as a failed front diff. You would be able to check that by taking the tailhousing off of your transmission.

Naru 08-14-2010 02:00 PM

ok some news of my sounds.
i have prepare my svx to make somes laps on track ( nurburgring addict! lol )
so i have check all before use it.
i have found my front axles have some play near the front dif.
so i have talk about it of one of my friend ( he's mecanic on renault cars )
and tell me they have the same problem on renault r25 auto trans.
and he tell me they tights the front dif because the bearing wear normaly.
so it's easy to do ,because it's just tight the "nut" at the output of the front dif.
it consist to remove the locking plate a the upper of the nut and tight the nut until the output shaft dont move.
dont tight it to much because that can wear the bearing faster!!!
so keep some play on it!
after that instal the locking plate and it's ok!

anyway, about my track trip,
after 2 laps, i hear a strange sound on the propeler shaft.
so i have lift the car, remove the center heatshield and move the shaft.
the sound come from the bearing of the propeler shaft.
i think he's dead.
so i have add 4 washers to align better the shaft. and i have add silicone rubber on the rubber of the bearing to limit the vibrations.
the sound are very more acceptable.
so i have return to the track and make 13 more laps whitout problem!!! :D

anyway, it's just an speed repair, now i need one more normal :lol:
so i need to change the propeler shaft bearing ( carrier bearing? :confused: )

anyone know were to find one in good shape or new for international shipping? ( i'm french you know! :p )
thanks!

here, i give you somes picture of my road trip! :p

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...58/Image12.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...58/Image10.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...858/Image9.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...858/Image8.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...2010dgd259.jpg