The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First SVX purchase on Monday. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54301)

Awox 04-24-2010 11:37 AM

First SVX purchase on Monday.

I'm giddy with excitement. I'm going to pick up a brilliant red 1995 LS. My first SVX ever. I hope it will be worth the 2K I'm going to drop on it.

It's supposedly in very good condition given the mileage (220K :eek:) but It has some bonuses that make me feel like 2K is not a bad price.

1) Has extensive and nearly complete maintenance records
2) Has a re-built tranny with very few miles on it (+-10K)
3) Despite the mileage, motor runs like new (Do they ever not?)

It does have some minor flaws though.

1) doors are very rusty, though i hear someone around here has 2 red doors for sale
2) driver seat leather is all torn up

I guess 2K sounds good. I'll have to just wait and see, but i can't! :p

Anyway! I found it a bit odd that it's an LS but has gray leather. I didn't know the red ones came with gray leather:confused:

When I go to check it out, are there any things I should really watch out for on my test drive before I throw 2K at the current owner?

Awox 04-24-2010 11:45 AM

Re: First SVX purchase on Monday.

Of course I mean other than the usual transmission lag, gunk in the coolant overflow tank, brake jiggle, and noisy wheel bearings.

Even if it has bad brakes or bearings. I can throw some tax return money at it. I am planning for a few flaws.

I'm especially worried about engine related failures. It does have quite high mileage. I suppose as long as the timing belt is up to date and there's no strange leakage it should be okay. I've had an ej2.2 up in the 250K's and it still ran like new. Then I sold it and 2 years later it was still running with the same engine.

svxpert 04-24-2010 11:48 AM

if the doors are that rusty you better get it on a lift and make sure the frame rails and undercarrage isnt that bad. some states wont let you register a car if it has alot a rust i hear.

Awox 04-24-2010 11:56 AM

For sure. Maine is like that.

He says the undercarriage is completely rust free though, for some reason it's only the doors. I will check it of course. The vehicle used to be owned in a more southern state, so it has not seen many winters at all.

Freeman 04-24-2010 11:58 AM

I'd go lower on the price... ;)

Awox 04-24-2010 12:14 PM

Oh, trust me, I'll keep a hawks eye out for any defects I can find. 2K is very close to book value. I'll do my best to bring it down.

Anything in particular I can look for to bring it down?

svxistentialist 04-24-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awox (Post 644394)
Oh, trust me, I'll keep a hawks eye out for any defects I can find. 2K is very close to book value. I'll do my best to bring it down.

Anything in particular I can look for to bring it down?

If the car is good it could be worth the money. There is no harm haggling, but better not to rob the guy if he has taken good care of her.

If the doors are very rusty, you might consider looking for a couple hundred bucks off to replace the doors. Similarly the paint will have faded a lot if it was down south. You could look for something off on that.

If the car is decent though, offer a non insulting price. That way everybody wins.

What to look out for

Joe :)

Freeman 04-24-2010 02:40 PM

Besides, the "book value" on these cars is nearly impossible to read. They're rarely accurate. I'd find out what mods, if any, the guy did.

kwren 04-24-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awox (Post 644389)
For sure. Maine is like that.

How can I find out if Ohio is like that... the rust law??

Keith:cool:

Awox 04-24-2010 10:32 PM

Yeah. I really don't want to gouge the guy, but I've had bad experiences in purchasing used vehicles in a private sale. Considering the maintenance records, and that it's got a valid inspection sticker, It very well could be worth every penny he's asking.

I just won't let my guard down :D

crash_2365 04-25-2010 08:01 AM

Chances are the unibody and subframes are fine, especially if the rear quarters are good. The doors are definitely the favorite place for these cars to rust.

I'd still try to get the price down a little bit, because those doors aren't going to be cheap.

Awox 04-25-2010 09:45 AM

The good news is that the seller knows a gent with 2 brilliant red doors for $100 plus the two old rusty ones. That sounds cheap to me :D

Freeman 04-25-2010 10:21 AM

I paid about $600 for my SVX.. Rust free, 140,000 miles. My dad paid more for it before he lost it. I think the price was $1600

kwren 04-25-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 644409)
How can I find out if Ohio is like that... the rust law??

Anyone?

ensteele 04-25-2010 11:59 AM

I would think that if a member who lives there comments, you could find out if it is one of the RUST STATES. :o