The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smells like gas w/ acceleration? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13716)

Bwana 10-12-2003 12:40 PM

Smells like gas w/ acceleration?

For the past couple days when i accelerate moderately, the cabin smells heavily like gas. Not exhaust...but gas.

Anyone know why this MIGHT be?

Thanks guys.

immortal_suby 10-12-2003 02:11 PM

If you find out please let us know - my car has done this for 100k miles.

Landshark 10-12-2003 02:55 PM

carbon cannister thingy?

Andy 10-12-2003 03:50 PM

Baked beans and fried onions?

Bwana 10-13-2003 09:19 PM

Update:

Does NOT smell w/ the heat on.

DOES smell w/ vent and A/C on.

Any ideas?

SVXRide 10-13-2003 09:39 PM

with the A/C on are you recirculating air or pulling outside air?
are you sure you're not smelling Freon?

Trevor 10-13-2003 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bwana
Update:

Does NOT smell w/ the heat on. DOES smell w/ vent and A/C on.

Any ideas?

Surely there can be only one answer. Engine compartment fumes are entering the intake instead of, or along with, fresh air. Something is displaced or faulty in the inlet ducting.

SVXRide 10-13-2003 09:54 PM

Trevor,
I don't have my shop manual handy, but wouldn't the same "doors" be open for the heat setting as the A/C setting - assuming the recirculate button wasn't activated?
-Bill

Landshark 10-13-2003 10:44 PM

have you checked the charcoal cannister yet? give it a visual inspection (vacuum hoses, the vapor cannister itself). you may even want to have someone tap the gas pedal (in park) while you sniff around the cannister to see if that might be the culprit.

i know on a previous car i owned a sore spot was a connector on the charcoal cannister, that when faulty gave a gas smell in the cabin. never heard of any problems like that on an SVX but its worth a look.

Bwana 10-13-2003 11:00 PM

What/where exactly is the charcoal canister? I'm still a newb on engines compared to pretty much everyone here...so yeah. Little help?

Also, where would i check for something "displaced" in the intake?

Landshark 10-13-2003 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

What/where exactly is the charcoal canister?

here. :) the charcoal cannister is part of the evaporative emission controls. it is basically a can of activated charcoal that absorbs gasoline vapors, which are then purged into the intake.

Trevor 10-14-2003 01:09 AM

The charcoal canister collects fumes given off in the fuel tank when the engine is not running and no real pressure is involved and a substantial leak would be needed for real effect. In any event the evidence being considered as I understand it is confined to the situation when the engine is running.

When the engine is running the purge control solenoid valve is opened and air is drawn through the the carbon, via a vent in the bottom of the canister and into the inlet manifold as a result of manifold depression. The canister is emptied of fumes, fresh air purges the carbon and the fuel tank is vented. All hoses are of small cross section and the complete system is below atmospheric pressure therefore a leak which would result in noticeable fumes reaching the cabin is difficult to accept.

svx_commuter 10-14-2003 05:09 AM

I think that any smell of gas inside the cabin is reason for major concern. I have experienced this once on a car and it was leak on the fuel rail. Please make sure that your SVX is not leaking gas from any of the pressurized fuel lines. With the engine cold, turn on the engine and push and pull all the rubber fuel hoses and look for leaks. Maybe the line from the filter to the engine is cracked? Try pushing and pulling on the injector rail. Check the injector rail behind the alternator, this can salt corrode. Check the injectors, wiggle the top cap around. Check the fpr and return line. There is absolutely no way the smell of gas should enter the cabin if all is working well and a fire is not desirable.

Trevor, Is it possible for the CC system to give off gas if for some reason it's hooked up wrong or a hose has come off or something like a crack in the canister? What is that hose for on the bottom of the canister that goes into the fender space?

Bwana 10-14-2003 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, i went snooping around my engine this morning, and couldnt find anything wrong w/ the canister or any lines around the engine. I did find a connector that was unplugged (see picture).

Anyone know what that is, and if it could be the cause?

mbtoloczko 10-14-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Alright, i went snooping around my engine this morning, and couldnt find anything wrong w/ the canister or any lines around the engine. I did find a connector that was unplugged (see picture).

Anyone know what that is, and if it could be the cause?

Not sure where the vacuum line goes, but I can say that your brake fluid needs to be flushed! :-)