The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Interior Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Rear seat delete. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25160)

PhatWeasel 03-21-2005 04:29 PM

Rear seat delete.

Has anyone ever done this with an SVX? I would love to get rid of my useless back seat so I'd have more interior cargo space. I can find them for quite a few domestics, but not for the SVX. This might be a new project.

ensteele 03-21-2005 08:09 PM

Most owners just fold down the back seat for more room. I am not sure what you want to do. Are you wanting to take the back seat out? :confused:

SilverSpear 03-22-2005 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Most owners just fold down the back seat for more room. I am not sure what you want to do. Are you wanting to take the back seat out? :confused:

he will shave some weight off... ;)

SilverSpear 03-22-2005 01:22 AM

on the other hand, have some respect to your SVX, this is not a pickup truck !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

CigarJohnny 03-22-2005 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele

I hear you but I for one cannot fold down the back seat and fit myself in the drivers seat at the same time. Never understood how anyone greater than petite stature could in any car I've owned. I can see the need to remove the rear seat and fabricate a nice cover to clean things up a bit, Especially it it goes unused.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
on the other hand, have some respect to your SVX, this is not a pickup truck !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

This does not mean he will be hauling sofas and sacks of manure in his SVX. There are plenty of items that could make use of the extra floor space and not damage the car one bit. Many would say you have no respect for your SVX with the exterior mods you have done. Don't be so judgemental of his choices. ;)

Johnny

PhatWeasel 03-22-2005 08:32 AM

I can't fold the seat down as I am 6'5". Even removing the head rests, I can't get the seat back to a comfortable position.

I do lots of road trips, California, Colorado, Washington and more. It would be great to get the extra space behind the seats to put an ice chest (cooler) and a snack box etc. I hate having heavy stuff sit on the bench seat, especially an ice chest that will inevitably drip water everywhere and destroy the upholstery. I'd rather ruin something that is affordable to replace rather than my stock bench seat.

If my reasoning was drag racing the best way to shave weight would be the removal of beer and pizza from my diet.

thundering02 03-22-2005 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatWeasel
I can't fold the seat down as I am 6'5". Even removing the head rests, I can't get the seat back to a comfortable position.

I do lots of road trips, California, Colorado, Washington and more. It would be great to get the extra space behind the seats to put an ice chest (cooler) and a snack box etc. I hate having heavy stuff sit on the bench seat, especially an ice chest that will inevitably drip water everywhere and destroy the upholstery. I'd rather ruin something that is affordable to replace rather than my stock bench seat.

If my reasoning was drag racing the best way to shave weight would be the removal of beer and pizza from my diet.

As a fellow 6'5" SVX driver I say amen to that

kuoh 03-22-2005 08:26 PM

The rear seat cushion comes out easy enough, and I'm pretty certain the seatback will come out too without much fuss, except for the bit of attached carpet. The area under the cushion is kinda ugly though so you'll want to cover it with something.

KuoH

SilverSpear 03-23-2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarJohnny
I hear you but I for one cannot fold down the back seat and fit myself in the drivers seat at the same time. Never understood how anyone greater than petite stature could in any car I've owned. I can see the need to remove the rear seat and fabricate a nice cover to clean things up a bit, Especially it it goes unused.
This does not mean he will be hauling sofas and sacks of manure in his SVX. There are plenty of items that could make use of the extra floor space and not damage the car one bit. Many would say you have no respect for your SVX with the exterior mods you have done. Don't be so judgemental of his choices. ;)

Johnny

i was just messing with him.... :D :D , and why do i have that feeling that you don't like me much? :confused: :confused:

Weasel 22 03-23-2005 01:57 AM

If my reasoning was drag racing the best way to shave weight would be the removal of beer and pizza from my diet.[/QUOTE]

a well kept secret for bracket racing.... :D

SilverSpear 03-23-2005 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel 22

a well kept secret for bracket racing.... :D[/QUOTE]

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL, i have the same addiction !!! :D :D :D

want-a-fast-svx 03-23-2005 08:41 AM

i would definitely spend time making sure whatever cover you fabricate is totally sealed to the bottom underneath where the seat used to be, because there are tons of wires and sensors and stuff like that under there that im sure would love to get some water spilled on them. Man was that a run-on sentence or what.

n00b on demand 03-23-2005 08:55 AM

I have a whole thread on this in the mod section....and the responses i got were not liked :mad: ...but oh well

n00b on demand 03-23-2005 08:57 AM

i think its a very cool idea and if done right it will look awesome. My plan was too take the seat out and make a box to fit back there and put some subs in :D ...talk about blowing the passengers head off with loudness :p

benebob 03-23-2005 09:09 AM

Start visiting junkyards. The XT DL from 85-87 had an optional back seat. It'll give ya some ideas on how to do it. As for sealing. I wouldn't be to concerned. There isn't anything there that doesn't/can't already get wet. Everything is on the sides where the seat ends anyways so it'd get wet now. I think you'll find the issue is what to do with the area where the seat back was and how you're gonna make something to fit there that opens to the trunk for long stuff. It looks kinda hideous IMO to have it open all the time.