The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU Tune Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ECUtune Stage2Av1 and Stage2Av1F (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57992)

longassname 08-07-2011 06:36 PM

ECUtune Stage2Av1 and Stage2Av1F

After being in trial for around a year Stage2Av1 is now in full release, replacing Stage2v7.

The changes from Stage2v7 to Stage2Av1 mirror the changes from Stage1v5 to Stage1Av1. Full performance timing is implemented in the primary timing table so it is not necessary for the ECU to use the knock sensors to learn in ignition advance. This change results in more ignition advance for more performance and better mpg on all cars. On forced induction cars it makes all the difference in the world.

Stage2Av1F is the flex fuel version. The defualt tuning on Stage2Av1F is for gasoline and is the same as the default tune on the regular Stage2Av1. Applying power to the input pin on the memory adapter switches to tuning for E85 fuel. The E85 tuning is the one tune that still uses the ignition timing learning function of the ECU to learn in even more ignition advance in addition to its generous primary ignition timing table.

Tapani 09-07-2011 09:22 PM

Re: ECUtune Stage2Av1 and Stage2Av1F

Is anyone actually running with E85 and Stage2Av1F? I read thru the old postings.... what is the current status of all this?

Thanks,

Tapani

Tapani 10-18-2011 11:12 AM

Ok,

Now I have all parts for stage 2. Are the injector connections + and -, i.e. is it irrelevant which wire is connected to which pin? I succeeded easing out the pins from the both old and new connectors, but the lock tabs on the connectors are on opposite sides so I must rotate either each wire 180 degrees - left will be left - or both wire combined (with the connector) - left will be right. I hope that makes sense :)

How about the N62 MAF connections? The original has white, red/black, black, orange. The N62 MAf has white, black, orange, white/black wires in that order (left to right). The pins are different design to these wires must be cut. How to connect?

Thanks,

Tapani

icingdeath88 10-18-2011 12:38 PM

http://www.ecutune.com/SVX-Stage-2v7-Instructions.pdf

If you haven't already seen this. What you can also do with the injectors is shave off the keyed parts of the plug on the injector so that they'll plug into the stock connectors. (That's what I'm planning on doing.) I'm not sure on the MAF, but when you figure it out let us all know. :)

Tapani 10-18-2011 01:07 PM

Well, the MAF seems to be explained in the instruction sheet - I guess I didn't read it carefully enough :-).

The new type plugs are real cheap and the pins come out real easy. 10 minutes for all 6. Left to left and right to right should be right, right?

Till tomorrow !

Tapani

icingdeath88 10-18-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapani (Post 689040)
Left to left and right to right should be right, right?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure without having the parts in front of me.

Tapani 10-18-2011 08:53 PM

From Chris @ Deatchwerks:

"Unless the terminals are marked (I’ve only seen these on a select few injectors), the polarity isn’t specific."

Got the same result with Google.

Tapani

icingdeath88 10-18-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapani (Post 689095)
From Chris @ Deatchwerks:

"Unless the terminals are marked (I’ve only seen these on a select few injectors), the polarity isn’t specific."

Got the same result with Google.

Tapani

Cool. That's good. The MAF seems trickier.

Tapani 10-19-2011 10:16 PM

Ok,

Stage 2 runs good, pulls strong all the way to redline. Not enough miles to report exact AFR figures, ain't lean @ 5PSI - that's for sure :). Can't beat the wide band, recommended to all who want to know what's really going on.

For the MAF wiring check out http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/tech_details.asp

Open the "WIRING A 90-96 300ZX MASS AIR SENSOR INTO OTHER NISSAN CONTROL SYSTEMS" pdf.

The N62 MAF pins are labelled A to F starting from the left. The SVX (1992) pins are labelled 1 to 5 starting from the right. (Both viewed from the harness side of the plug).

A not used
B MAF signal 0-5V, connect to white wire, pin 4
C ground, connect to black/red wire, pin 3
D ground (shield), connect to black wire, pin 2
E +12V supply, connect to red wire, pin 1
F not used

Tapani

icingdeath88 10-19-2011 10:26 PM

^Thank you! You're the man, Tapani. :)

Tapani 10-19-2011 10:51 PM

Swapping the injectors on the left bank is a ***** w/o removing the LP A/C hose. The old O-rings bite hard :-).

Also, quite a bit of fuel will drain into the cylinders when the injectors are pulled.... it might be wise to remove plugs and crank the engine before starting - I didn't :eek:.

I also bought a 300 l/h ethanol compatible fuel pump from Deatschwerks.... still have to swap this and all rubber hoses before I will try the E85. This will have to wait 'till next spring - the alcohol doesn't like to be stored for a long time..... winter is almost here - time to drive the Outback.

Tapani

1986nate 10-19-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapani (Post 689189)
Swapping the injectors on the left bank is a ***** w/o removing the LP A/C hose. The old O-rings bite hard :-).

Also, quite a bit of fuel will drain into the cylinders when the injectors are pulled.... it might be wise to remove plugs and crank the engine before starting - I didn't :eek:.
Tapani

Just unplug the fuel pump fuse and run it til it dies. Then crank it over a few more times just to be sure :)

Tapani 10-19-2011 11:25 PM

Yeah, but the rails are full of (non-pressurized) fuel and quite a bit will drain into the combustion chambers (side feed injectors).

TApani

NikFu S. 10-20-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 683481)
After being in trial for around a year Stage2Av1 is now in full release, replacing Stage2v7.

The changes from Stage2v7 to Stage2Av1 mirror the changes from Stage1v5 to Stage1Av1. Full performance timing is implemented in the primary timing table so it is not necessary for the ECU to use the knock sensors to learn in ignition advance. This change results in more ignition advance for more performance and better mpg on all cars. On forced induction cars it makes all the difference in the world.

Stage2Av1F is the flex fuel version. The defualt tuning on Stage2Av1F is for gasoline and is the same as the default tune on the regular Stage2Av1. Applying power to the input pin on the memory adapter switches to tuning for E85 fuel. The E85 tuning is the one tune that still uses the ignition timing learning function of the ECU to learn in even more ignition advance in addition to its generous primary ignition timing table.

Is there any added risk of upgrading with only 90 grade fuel available?

Tapani 10-23-2011 05:14 AM

Ok,

After driving for a few days a bit more info: The AFR is good, closed loop 14,7 under most normal driving in traffic. Very steady 12 under full throttle all the way to redline. Fat midrange and pulls strong - very pleased, the turbo is "invisible", it spools below stall speed and holds the 5PSI boost all the way.

Full throttle up and down shift are crisp with the reworked valve body (stock TCU untill I get the revised maps).

The only glitch is a fairly rich low idle..... if the AC is on and idle aroun 800rpm all is well. If the AC is off and the idle drops to 550-600 the AFR drops to 11-12-13 and hovers there. The idle is smooth, though - but it won't pass emission test if the AC is not on :eek:. I saw earlier posts regarding the low idle, but that was more on the feel - not AFR related.

Anyone else?

Also on occations it takes quite a bit more cranking to fire up, especially when the engine is semi warm.... could be on the rich side here too.

Tapani

Edit later today: I am embarassed - but glad to report, that today I drove quite a while w/o AC and the AFR fluctuates around 14,7 at low idle exactly how it is supposed to do :-). I only today found the time to hook up the ECUtuner and all seems logical. O2 voltages are min 0,08 and max 0,82 for both banks, the alpha figures are approximately -2 and -5 for low idle in neutral, 0 and -3 @ 875rpm in drive and they close in towards -3 for both banks under light throttle in drive against the brakes. The MAF voltage is 1,02V @ 575 rpm in neutral - must be very close to its lower end and 1,12V @ 875 rpm in drive. The injector time on idle fluctutaes between 1,78 and 2,08 msec.

Is there an adapting function on idle mixture control?