The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Cars For Sale (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   '96 SVX L AWD - Des Moines Iowa (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49826)

Bailey 04-11-2009 05:56 PM

'96 SVX L AWD - Des Moines Iowa

My daughter just joined the army and with mixed feelings decided to sell her SVX so she wouldnt have to keep paying insurance on a car she won't be driving for at least another year and no place to store it. She doesnt want it at her AIT because parking is a major problem there. I bought it 2 years ago and drove it for 6 months before giving to my daughter to drive while she was in college. (I drive another SVX- a 94 LSi.) This car actually runs better and less problems than my '94, but we decided to keep the LSi. Please keep in mind I am not knowledgeable about cars, so will probably not know answers to detailed questions. We bought it from Scott (Bwana), here on the forum, who was selling it to get a new model Subie.

State SVX is in: Iowa

Year: 96

Model: L with AWD

VIN: JF1CX8351TH100456

Paint Color: Brilliant Red

Interior Color: gray

Miles: 122,000 (I will check this and re-post with exact odometer reading)

Options: standard

AWD or FWD: AWD

Modifications: Car came with Pioneer Headunit, rockford fosgate fronts and tweeters, MB Quart 6x9's powered by a fosgate amp, hard-wired XM. Former owner Scott said it has slotted /drilled rotors, and he put a custom cat back exhaust on the car, which is a fairly loud, low drone...guys love it, me not so much. I prefer a quiet exhaust.

Major service: We had a rear wheel bearing replaced a few months ago. Alternator replaced this winter.

Engine Condition: I am assuming average to good condition

Maintenance Records: will be gathering these up and will post, not sure how complete they are or what came with the car. Scott had put new battery and new timing belt in prior to selling to me.

Transmission condition: seems fine

Glass condition: windshield has a few very small chips- will post pictures.

Type of tire and remaining tread: one tire recently replaced, probably could use new tires on the other 3 but figured new owner would want to do this.

Type of wheels: stock wheels

Interior condition: average to good, will post pics. Has been smoked in but not recently. On the console, on the back "hinge" part of the top, the vinyl is not glued down. Dont know how to describe this, if this is important, will take a photo of it.

Body condition: average/good for its age- a few dings and scratches on doors, small areas of rust on both sides of car (see photos)

Known defects or problems: When we bought the car, the check engine light was on and is still on . Scott said it was an o2 sensor and that the light had been going off and on since he bought the car.

Comments about the car: Has been a reliable daily driver work horse, no problems at all with it until wheel bearing (fixed last summer) and this past Nov when car suddenly didnt start. We checked it out, auto zone diagnosed alternator , we replaced it and have had no problems since.

Asking price: reduced price $2600

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1239493651

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1239493671

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1239493504

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1239493578

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1240176805

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1240176890

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1240176943

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1240176982

bheinen74 04-13-2009 03:17 PM

Re: '96 SVX L AWD - Des Moines Iowa

bad timing. I just paid property taxes last month, and tomorrow i send out state taxes i owe.

wish i had more cash saved up for this kind of thing, but my BRAT needs carb work as well.
grr

Bailey 04-13-2009 07:08 PM

I understand. Thanks for your interest though! We put it on Craigs List also. I hope it sells soon because we just dont have room to store it ... I dont want to rent a storage unit for it. We can store it outside where my husband works, but I definitely dont want it sitting somewhere where I can't keep my eye on it!

bheinen74 04-13-2009 08:20 PM

I plan on being in DM Thursday night, going to a Cruise In at the Skybox lounge. Would like to at least see the car to consider some options.

Bailey 04-14-2009 04:15 AM

sent you a pm

bheinen74 04-16-2009 01:59 PM

bringing my brother tonight, so he can look and decide.

Bailey 04-19-2009 07:30 AM

Spring clearance sale - price reduced to $2600

teal one 04-19-2009 09:57 AM

sent you a pm

BoxerFanatic 04-27-2009 12:12 PM

PM Sent on behalf of a friend.

Mike621 04-27-2009 01:08 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bwana/29204.JPG

Old picture from Scott's locker...

Green1995SVX 04-27-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 599090)

Old picture from Scott's locker...

Oh my god. It's amazing how quickly these cars deteriorate if they've been neglected.

It reminds me of the SVX body engineer that was at the 10th anniversary meet. "Keep SVX clean. SVX keep you happy."

Mike

BoxerFanatic 04-27-2009 02:40 PM

Wow... how long ago was that picture taken?

I hope the rust shown in the first pictures is not too horrible, that seems like the only real down-side to the car.

How difficult is it to have the rust issues seen to? I have read about other folks doing it themselves. Any idea how much a body shop would charge to fix that, if the body cladding holes, and other aspects aren't too far gone?

I can't afford this car as my own project right now, but a friend of mine might be mulling it over for a daily ride for a while. He realized the drawbacks of 2WD this last wet weekend, and it affirmed his choice to look into AWD, but he needs something affordable, and reliable. I am hoping that this might be something worth him looking into. I wouldn't want to steer him wrong, and the car looks viable, if not perfect.

1986nate 04-27-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic (Post 599098)
Wow... how long ago was that picture taken?

I hope the rust shown in the first pictures is not too horrible, that seems like the only real down-side to the car.

How difficult is it to have the rust issues seen to? I have read about other folks doing it themselves. Any idea how much a body shop would charge to fix that, if the body cladding holes, and other aspects aren't too far gone?

I can't afford this car as my own project right now, but a friend of mine might be mulling it over for a daily ride for a while. He realized the drawbacks of 2WD this last wet weekend, and it affirmed his choice to look into AWD, but he needs something affordable, and reliable. I am hoping that this might be something worth him looking into. I wouldn't want to steer him wrong, and the car looks viable, if not perfect.

It depends how bad all the rust is. If any of it is rusted through or is true rot, then you're going to probably have to cut and weld in new metal, get it smooth and straight, etc etc.

For all of that to be taken care of, paint match and everything for a shop to do, it depends. Knowing someone who can do rust repair and paint work helps a lot. I'd say around $300 at the cheapest if there's no rot.

BoxerFanatic 04-27-2009 04:11 PM

I was mostly curious, so that I am not steering my friend wrong.

If I could afford it, I have a brother-in-law who does bodywork. However he is in the next state, not real close to suggest to my friend. Then again, if it were mine, it would be getting a black tri-coat roof and trunk lid paint job, as well as the rust repair... :D But that is just me, the one with no spare cash for the car to begin with... :D

But an estimate of hundreds, rather than thousands, is a decent tid-bit of info. He may know someone who does that sort of work...

bheinen74 04-27-2009 05:00 PM

everyone here i looked at the car with my brother. I have the details of condition. just enough/quite a few things needing work to push my brother away. Its a rare car, and will take someone who has tlc care.

most obvious was the missing timing belt cover lower bolts, and the t-cover seals falling out, noisy exhaust, and rust (slightly more than pictures show). engine sounded good inernal, but made a whirring sound like alternator or pulley, was center front of car. also a bad exhaust, and mismatched tires, and tranny cooler line leaked at hose from radiator. needs tlc and a owner who wants to do it. windshield is good except for big scratch along passenger side where the wiper blade arm was shorter than the holder for it, thus metal arm scrathced. not to be buffed out.

would be glad to discuss more with someone too far to come look at it.

1986nate 04-27-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic (Post 599110)
I was mostly curious, so that I am not steering my friend wrong.

If I could afford it, I have a brother-in-law who does bodywork. However he is in the next state, not real close to suggest to my friend. Then again, if it were mine, it would be getting a black tri-coat roof and trunk lid paint job, as well as the rust repair... :D But that is just me, the one with no spare cash for the car to begin with... :D

But an estimate of hundreds, rather than thousands, is a decent tid-bit of info. He may know someone who does that sort of work...

Yes, a good paint shop should be able to match the paint and clear without making it too obvious, under close inspection you will always be able to tell if something is repainted rather than just respraying the whole car. If there is rot though, you are looking at double that. And like I said, that is going to be around the cheapest. You can save yourself some labor costs by removing things like the plastic side garnishes yourself. And if no rot, then anyone should be able to work on it, even your friend. Just prime it for now until you can afford a complete respray...

In other words, there are many ways to go abouot taking care of this.

bheinen74 04-27-2009 05:06 PM

more than surface rust, passenger quarter in front of wheel, door p side, and door driver side. not a rust bucket, but has rustout in said spots. under the doors looked good still, and rocker panels good too. wheels are badly corroded.

BoxerFanatic 04-27-2009 07:48 PM

I guess bottom line is this...

is the car viable for a daily driver, with a little attention to the timing belt cover... and maybe to the leaking trans cooler line... (active leak, or previous issue?) and a set of tires.

Is the rust something that would get out of hand if it had to wait a little longer? I know it is hard to say that... I would want it taken care of, but the real question has to be about whether the car is good to go to get someone back and forth to work, and get TLC along the way.

Corroded aluminum wheels are a cosmetic issue and somewhat easily replaced along the line. I kinda wish it still had the STI BBS wheels on it... but that is neither here nor there.

What is the opinion of the folks that have seen the car... viable for daily duty, or relegated to needs-restoration status? I am going to send a link for this discussion to my friend, so he can read it if he likes.

Bailey 04-30-2009 05:25 AM

Car sold, price was further reduced and was very fair, and the buyer has a friend who can do all the body work for him. I think he plans to get it into great shape. Even if he ends up putting some work into it, he got a great deal and I am happy it has found a good home. There is no question the car was not in perfect shape and the sale price reflected that- but it has always been reliable and my hope is that it will continue to be a good reliable car for many more thousands of miles. Apparently the car had some of these issues when we bought it (timing belt cover lower bolts missing?) Anyway, I am glad someone will be driving it again!

It was amazing to see the picture Bwana had posted compared to the pictures now- we owned the car for 2 years, I drove it for 6 months, then it went to my daughter who drove it to and from her classes in college in another town. It didnt see a garage during these past 2 years, just sat outside in the parking lot next to her apartment. Amazing how fast rust can start and spread. I am glad someone is going to have that taken care of before it gets worse.
Thanks again to all of you for your interest!

bheinen74 06-23-2009 08:46 PM

this one is now on an auction site with rear ended damage and now a salvage title. http://ridesafely.com/inventory.asp?...SUBARU%2520SVX

:(
its the end of the life of this car.

BoxerFanatic 06-23-2009 11:05 PM

That is horrible.

I considered buying that car. I suggested it to a friend, who ended up missing the opportunity to whoever was evidently to become the last owner.

Sad. Very Sad.

I hope it serves to keep other SVXs alive.

Bailey 06-24-2009 05:08 AM

I am sad to see this.
New owner had it about 2 months

Mike621 06-24-2009 09:51 AM

That is truly disappointing. :(

ensteele 06-24-2009 10:06 AM

I am sad to see that as well. It surprises me how many of these cars are destroyed each month. The numbers are dropping from accidents as fast as parts wearing out! It makes the rest of them more rare, that is for sure. :o

shelfy 06-24-2009 10:39 AM

perhaps it's time we all move on.

bheinen74 08-03-2009 03:45 PM

bump its for sale again

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1303411599.html

fixed up.....again.

this car keeps getting passed around i see. This time it comes with a V6, they yanked out the boxer :)

BoxerFanatic 08-03-2009 09:42 PM

After all that, it is still being asked at almost 3x what I paid for mine...

And now we KNOW this car has been hit in the rear end and repaired, AFTER the original poster of this thread sold the car, and the buyer biffed it.

Hopefully the repair is good.

subiemech85 08-04-2009 02:14 AM

take the extra "0" off the end of the price and I'll buy it :lol:

Bwana 08-10-2009 09:52 PM

Damn, my car gets around.

SSSVX 08-11-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 613193)
Damn, my car gets around.

why did u sell it? :p

how is the legacy treating you? :)

Bwana 08-11-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX (Post 613213)
why did u sell it? :p

how is the legacy treating you? :)

I was moving to Texas soon and my parents didn't "trust" it. :rolleyes:

Legacy is awesome, and I've gotten two of my friends to buy one too. :cool:

BoxerFanatic 08-11-2009 08:52 AM

Nice Legacy, BTW... I have it's Garnet Red Pearl sister.

The novelty of the SVX hasn't worn off yet, so the Legacy is getting some rest after 3 years of commuting. :D

Unfortunately she needs some new dampers, and has a boost pressure leak to track down. I think maybe the plastic/metal intercooler is leaking under positive pressure... but not sure.

Bwana 08-11-2009 11:49 AM

Yeah, after coming from a bright red SVX with bright gold wheels, to a silver legacy...I kinda miss the attention some times. Except when the attention is coming from cops. Actually...I had WAY more trouble with cops in my white SVX then the red one...weird.

Haven't done anything to the Legacy besides clearing the head lights, tints, and tail light covers/tints.

BoxerFanatic 08-11-2009 12:03 PM

I get pulled over for the tinted windows on my Legacy... it is annoying. It is about 16% VLT for the whole car, except the clear windshield.

My SVX has clear windows... and it can get to be a greenhouse in there, with the radiant energy coming through those big side windows. Makes me hesitate pulling the tint off the driver and passenger windows on the Legacy...

I eventually want to tint the SVX, too, but don't want to pay the government every time they see it, and cha-ching in their eyes.

I bought my Legacy used, it already had an accessPort, Cobb shifter, whiteline springs, cleared/blacked-out housing headlights, and two sets of wheels, I put a different cat-back on it, different summer wheels, and some new Hawk brake pads.

The very-low whiteline springs have finally pounded the stock dampers into submission... so I think I am going to try to go to Spec B bilsteins, and Ion springs that aren't so low, nor so harsh.

Have you participated over at LegacyGT.com? I do, but anymore mostly just in the Subaru news and rumors section, but maybe we've talked over there at some point... (my handle over there is IwannaSportSedan, which started before I bought the Legacy...)

Bwana 08-11-2009 02:37 PM

Well, I'm back in Texas now, so my tints are legal (20% all around). Not gonna be able to spend any money on the car in any kind of forseeable future, but it's pretty good stock. :p I have been over on lgt.com, but quickly got bored since I have no money to spend, lol.

bheinen74 08-11-2009 03:52 PM

its till on Craigs. probably will be for a while. i will keep you guys updated next time it comes around...