The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Competition Motorsports (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Cumberland auto-X season starts! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38705)

subi-crosser 04-27-2007 11:24 PM

Cumberland auto-X season starts!

I am registered for sat, May 5th. I will be driving SVXfiles supercharged car.
( with or without the supercharger)
If something ugly happens over the next week, I have the old standby 85 XT turbo coupe, or The 'Little red wagon', that I drive to work each day might get a chance to stretch it's wings.
I registered (a) Subaru, year, bodystyle,class, color UNKNOWN till I get there. BUT, as Dave Williams calls me, The Muppett Labs Subaru Racing Team WILL be there!

Budfreak 04-27-2007 11:27 PM

I will be making an appearance.:cool: :D See you guys there.

svxfiles 05-01-2007 09:49 AM

Jerry, is this ANOTHER conversation aided by beer?:o
I'll roll out the R-comps!:D

TomsSVX 05-01-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles

YAY!!! Time for video of Tom doing accidental donuts!!!

Tom

svxfiles 05-01-2007 10:58 AM

"Mommy, why is that loud car mad at all those cones??!!":confused: :o

subi-crosser 05-01-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Naa! But I'll have a BBQ grill and a cooler in the little red wagon when I get there! Are you going to run Sunday? If so, we can put up my tarp and 'stake a claim' on the piece of airport of our choice. They have 24 hour security and will lock the gate. We can leave a car there to save the spot.

subi-crosser 05-01-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

"Mommy, why is that loud car mad at all those cones??!!":confused: :o

Certified CONE KILLAHHHH!!!

subi-crosser 05-01-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
YAY!!! Time for video of Tom doing accidental donuts!!!

Tom

We'll get some 'INSIDE shots'!! I'll put the cam corder on the pass seat!! We'll aim the cam at Tom's FACE! we all know what the coarse looks like, But the picture of a guy having the most fun EVER, ( with his clothes on...) PRICELESS!!

svxfiles 05-06-2007 05:19 PM

Jerry got a 62.316 second SuperCharged SVX, in THE RAIN, ON SLICKS!!!
:D :D :D
For his first run!:)
He got 69.933
Second, 63.204
Third, 63.204
fourth, dnf(it was raining):rolleyes:
final, did I mention lots of rain,
on slicks,
spinning all four!
62.316!!!:eek: :D

Unfortunatley, my runs were not able to be recorded as they would upset the balance of nature!:o
To keep things fair I opted to disconect the S/C as Jerry is VERY OLD!:eek:

73.580:o
Are you happy now?!
It WAS fun!!!

SVXRide 05-06-2007 06:04 PM

So, 11+ seconds slower with the same car?:eek: Not to worry, it takes a while to go fast and change directions:p :D

So, what F/R air pressures did you end up running?

-Bill

svxfiles 05-06-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
So, 11+ seconds slower with the same car?:eek: Not to worry, it takes a while to go fast and change directions:p :D

-Bill

Its a good thing I did not tell you that my first run was 89.303 WITH an off course:confused:
or the second run WITH an instructor was 91.115:rolleyes:
or the third with an instructor was 80.203, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
or that SOMEONE ran a 78.399 without an instructor.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY
That evan though that I WAS BEING ATTACKED BY A BROWN BEAR, WHILE ON COLD MEDICINE, DURING A SNOW STORM,,,,i WAS ABLE TO PULL OFF AN
73.580!:D
ymmv!:p

SVXRide 05-06-2007 09:14 PM

Pics! We want pics!!:eek: :D :D

-Bill

Hocrest 05-06-2007 10:12 PM

So....

How many cones??

svxfiles 05-07-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Pics! We want pics!!:eek: :D :D

-Bill

Only one picture was taken, by Mary, Jerry's wife.:o

svxfiles 05-07-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
So....

How many cones??

0, ZERO!:o

Hocrest 05-07-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

0, ZERO!:o

Zero hit or zero left standing???? :p :D

svxfiles 05-07-2007 06:17 AM

Zero hit.:rolleyes:

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

So....

How many cones??

Me?? 0 for 5 runs. I did blow a gate rather than go round and round. I made a few wiggle.

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Only one picture was taken, by Mary, Jerry's wife.:o

There may be a grainy VIDIO surface soon.

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

-Bill

I think I heard 38/40. but in the rain, we didn't change them. I just tried to adjust so I could get the most out of the set up we had. On the run w the 'off', I decided to put it into a 'drift' to see what happened. It came right out of it as soon as I decided that I was done drifting. I did have a little issue . When I apexed and dropped the hammer, all 4 slicks lit off and I had to back out till it hooked again.

Did we mention the rain?

A car that was doing 51 sec runs all day was doing 62 sec (in the rain) It was the Moran family impreza. Posner's Accura was only running high 55's. The Corvettes were cutting 67 to 72 range.
I would have loved to have had a dry run.

svxfiles 05-07-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

-Bill

38 front/34 rear
After my runs the rear tires were not warm yet.:o
It was finding the path in a sea of orange cones that was most daunting!

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Jerry got a 62.316 second SuperCharged SVX, in THE RAIN, ON SLICKS!!!
:D :D :D
For his first run!:)
He got 69.933
Second, 63.204
Third, 63.204
fourth, dnf(it was raining):rolleyes:
final, did I mention lots of rain,
on slicks,
spinning all four!
62.316!!!:eek: :D

Unfortunatley, my runs were not able to be recorded as they would upset the balance of nature!:o
To keep things fair I opted to disconect the S/C as Jerry is VERY OLD!:eek:

73.580:o
Are you happy now?!
It WAS fun!!!

My 'off' run was 63.287. including the drift experiment

Budfreak 05-07-2007 06:46 PM

That was fun!:) I got to see many different cars run and it was a blast watching Jerry give cones a "shave" without moving them off there spots.:eek::D

BugBomb 05-07-2007 08:30 PM

Here's what the course looked like on Sunday.

VIDEO

SVXRide 05-07-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugBomb

VIDEO

Wahoo! Welcome to the land of no off camber course conditions! Looks like a high 40/low 50 second course. What was the FTD?

-Bill

TomsSVX 05-07-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Wahoo! Welcome to the land of no off camber course conditions! Looks like a high 40/low 50 second course. What was the FTD?

-Bill

No walls to run into either:)

Tom

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

VIDEO

It was the same sat except the figure 8 on the far end was added for sunday. Tom can use this for a training vid so he can get used to what the cones mean.

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

-Bill

low 50's on sunday, had (I think) 2 break into 49's on sat. It only rained for the 4th heat

Hocrest 05-07-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
No walls to run into either:)

Tom

Yeah but they do have those runway marker lights :o

I think they said it costs about $200 if you take one out. I almost got a more accurate quote... :o :cool:

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah but they do have those runway marker lights :o

I think they said it costs about $200 if you take one out. I almost got a more accurate quote... :o :cool:

Dave Williams almost bought one with a black German made car with a big 7 on the hood and number 944 on the back. He told me that "if you run into the grass with all 4 wheels, you're done for the day". The only car that DID that was his!

Hocrest 05-07-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser
Dave Williams almost bought one with a black German made car with a big 7 on the hood and number 944 on the back. He told me that "if you run into the grass with all 4 wheels, you're done for the day". The only car that DID that was his!

Hmmm... I did that on my first or second run and finished my others :cool:

I don't remember which one, but one of the organizers actually came over and said that he was impressed with the way I lost control and brought it back to a controlled stop on the turf :cool:

TomsSVX 05-07-2007 10:01 PM

were u running the dirt track hoosiers??:p :p

Tom

subi-crosser 05-07-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I did that on my first or second run and finished my others :cool:

I don't remember which one, but one of the organizers actually came over and said that he was impressed with the way I lost control and brought it back to a controlled stop on the turf :cool:

You can see Dave's ruts in the Moran vid! ( I watched it 5 times) It was after the 'go fast' place with the right turn where the bump is that caused you to spin out. We were going the opposite way, but the bump still claimed 5 vic's.

subi-crosser 05-12-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

low 50's on sunday, had (I think) 2 break into 49's on sat. It only rained for the 4th heat

Results are IN! I didn't do as bad as I thought! The timer thing gave me 3 different times for the same run. un-o-fish-olay

My best was high 50's on the sheet that counted.

svxfiles 05-13-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Results are IN!

Do'nt look,:o do'nt look, :o do'nt look, do'nt look, don't look,:o don't look, don't look, don't look, don't look, don't look, do'nt look, do'nt look, do'nt look, do'nt look, PLEASE do'nt look,:o

subi-crosser 05-23-2007 12:58 AM

Cumberland Historics weekend....

June 1-2-3, we will be hosting the cars that used to race here and the cars that race here now! I have registered " A Subauru" for sat again,( since that's what I do). The Subaru will be there for 'tec', and will compete. I just don't know what color, year or class till friday.

BugBomb 05-27-2007 08:18 AM

Hello everyone!

Us Morans are looking forward to the upcoming Cumberland event for June. I thought I would share some recent action with our project Impreza. We had a little mishap at the last CDC event, but we'll have her repaired for Cumberland next weekend.

Take a look at the carnage here.

We just got ABS put on last week, and this was the first event that we got to use it. I guess it made things a little more intense for other parts of the car. That's good. Find the weaknesses and fix them.

subi-crosser 06-05-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Hello everyone!

Us Morans are looking forward to the upcoming Cumberland event for June. I thought I would share some recent action with our project Impreza. We had a little mishap at the last CDC event, but we'll have her repaired for Cumberland next weekend.

Take a look at the carnage here.

We just got ABS put on last week, and this was the first event that we got to use it. I guess it made things a little more intense for other parts of the car. That's good. Find the weaknesses and fix them.

Which Moran r u? I guess I should have asked when I was talking the brothers at Cumberland on sunday.

Mike, did the Impreza have a '44' in her??
I didn't make the 'mark' that I had set in my mind, but it RAINED again, so I was 2.#### seconds off.

I asked Mike, 4 years ago, (on my first trip) what I should do. ( I was driving a 1991 Legacy wagon), I did it, and finished LAST! I damned near had to cut the SMILE off my face with a knife! The car had been 'totaled' a week before, I had never played the game before, I became 'addicted' and have NOT finished last SINCE!!!!!!
In fact, I have been moving up the % scale ever since!

Thank's, Mike!!!
(KING of Subi-Cumberland) UBSLIPPIN

" Friends don't let friends 'apex' too earily"

BugBomb 06-06-2007 04:53 AM

This is Mike. I wish I could have been there to run on Saturday, but Sunday was still a very fun course. I didn't have my camera so I don't have any video to share.

I think the L might have had a 44 in it, if everything had panned out. Unfortunately we were dealing with somewhat muted camber settings since we can't get the adjusters to stay put. Out of my 6 runs, only two of them were totally dry. I was happy to pull off a 45.7 when it was slightly damp, and my best dry time of 45.2 had a couple mistakes in it.

Stay tuned, though, because our project car should get a lot more interesting over the next few weeks. We don't plan on being at Cumberland for a full weekend until the Pumpkin Carve, but we might drop by for one day if we need to test out some recent modifications.

We are trying to find some 17x9 or 17x10 wheels so we can get 275-width race tires (as opposed to the current 225s). Not many wheels are available in that size and at 5x100 bolt pattern.

The big news for this upcoming weekend is the car will be parked in my garage to begin the STi 6-speed swap. We have an '05 6MT with DCCD and a front, helical LSD that will be installed along with a high-performance clutch and lightened flywheel. That's a big change from the WRX 5MT with viscous center diff, open front diff, and stock clutch that we have been using so far. The diffs should help the car pull out of the corners instead of slipping the inside tires. The gear ratios will be drastically different as well. 2nd gear will redline at 52MPH instead of 65MPH. That means we will be using a lot more of 3rd gear at Cumberland, but we will also have a super-strong 2nd gear for the tighter sections. MORE Acceleration! :D Oh, and I forgot to add that we will be turning on the launch control in the Utec Delta engine management once the 6MT is installed. Jake didn't want to use it on the 5-speed because it will build boost at the line and could potentially destroy the 5-speed. The 6-speed will be able to handle it just fine.

We'll have to take it back to Mason Dixon and see how much we can improve on the 13.38@102MPH that it did with the 5-speed. I am also expecting a much lower 20-50 time. Maybe around 3 seconds flat, but probably not quite up to par with my father's 2.7-second run in his modded STi. Maybe I will be surprised...

svxfiles 06-06-2007 08:09 AM

06-02-07 Cumberland Autocross

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/44370.jpg
More pictures here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|44353