The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's the best motor oil for our cars? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18561)

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 10:46 AM

What's the best motor oil for our cars?

I read a post where someone mentioned that synthetic oil was harmful to flat six engines as the metal parts weren't sufficiently lubricated during engine start-up...

If I use regular oil, which brand is best? My car has 96,000 miles. Should I switch to a high mileage oil?

Thanks! :)

-Chike

SVXer95 05-10-2004 10:56 AM

In my opinion those high mileage oils are a marketing gimmick. I used regular Pennzoil 10w30 for a long time, recently changed to mobil one.

There is some discussion of synthetic use and boxers in the 'SVX Drip' thread. It looks like that is a myth. Well, sort of a myth. Apparently there was a bit of trouble with synthetics in air-cooled airplane flat motors.

On the other hand, Porsche uses synthetics (Mobil1) in their motors from the factory.

I say use synthetic. I like Mobil1, but there are a bunch of other great ones out there. Some peiople swear by Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc.

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 11:41 AM

How many miles did your SVX have when you switched to Mobil 1? How many miles have you run thus far with synthetic? Any issues with leaky seals?

Thanks for your input! :D

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
In my opinion those high mileage oils are a marketing gimmick. I used regular Pennzoil 10w30 for a long time, recently changed to mobil one.

RSVX 05-10-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
How many miles did your SVX have when you switched to Mobil 1? How many miles have you run thus far with synthetic? Any issues with leaky seals?

Thanks for your input! :D

-Chike

From at LEAST 20K miles till where it is now, Mobil 1 ONLY... NO leaks...

SVXer95 05-10-2004 12:11 PM

Hmmmm. I think around 15k with Synthetic, so that would make it 95kmiles when I started using Mobil1. I can see oil coming from the right side valve cover, but no visible drips on the driveway:) I had the same thing before I switched over. I imagine if I did the valve cover gasket I would have no leaks at all, but since it isn't bad, and I am lazy, I am not going to doit anytime soon.

I change the oil every 3k miles. I did 2k-2500 with the regular oil. It is a bit overboard, but I am anal. I also plan on driving this car to well over 200k so a few extra bucks here and there doesn't hurt. The synthetic comes out pretty clean at 3k, a nice golden brown, a little darker than new oil.

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 12:12 PM

That's impressive for an SVX with 145K+ miles! :D

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by RSVX
From at LEAST 20K miles till where it is now, Mobil 1 ONLY... NO leaks...

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 12:14 PM

95K when you started using Mobil 1? I may just give Mobil 1 a try at my next oil change...

-Chike
Quote:

Hmmmm. I think around 15k with Synthetic, so that would make it 95kmiles when I started using Mobil1.

Ron Mummert 05-10-2004 12:21 PM

I started on Mobile 1 at 76K three plus years ago. The car now has 130K. Cam seals were replaced at 100K. I see a bit of dripping here & there, but nothing to make me spend a fortune to fix. I'd bet at least half of the owners here use synthetics.

Ron.

red95svx 05-10-2004 12:37 PM

I started using Mobil1 at 90,000 (the mileage when I bought it). I now have 146,000. No leaks, no drips, no burning, nothing. I think my SVX was pretty well cared for though.....no constant beatings by some young kid. It doesn't burn or leak any fluids at all.

Dave

Sonar 05-10-2004 12:48 PM

I have ALWAYS used Mobile1 "rallly formula" in my performance cars, because I KNOW it works!

Maybe other oils are as good or better, but that I DON'T KNOW !

Here in Sweden anyway, the "special" version "Rally Formula" is better that the "regular" type.

/Sonny :cool:

SVXer95 05-10-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sonar
I have ALWAYS used Mobile1 "rallly formula" in my performance cars, because I KNOW it works!

Maybe other oils are as good or better, but that I DON'T KNOW !

Here in Sweden anyway, the "special" version "Rally Formula" is better that the "regular" type.

Whats the difference? Does anyone know if thisis available in the US under a different name? I've never seen it.

dcarrb 05-10-2004 01:23 PM

Having gotten 200,000 miles or better on each of my last three cars (two Subarus and a '68 Mustang) running plain, old Havoline 10W40, I'm of the opinion that frequent oil and filter changes have much more to do with engine longevity than the brand (or astounding claims) on the label. IMHO, paying four prices for a quart of oil doesn't make a great deal of sense.

dcb

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 01:29 PM

Check out the following link: Mobil 1. Under Mobil 1 Products, checkout their racing formula. May be the same product that Sonar mentioned, but could be marketed in Sweden as a 'Rally Formula' as that racing is big over there! :D They state:

"Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is intended for professional and amateur "weekend" racecars, as well as modern high-output engines of all kinds. It is ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving, high-performance engines used in street applications."

-Chike
Quote:

Whats the difference? Does anyone know if thisis available in the US under a different name? I've never seen it.

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 01:37 PM

My mother-in-law who got 200K+ miles out of her ol' '87 Ford Ranger 4x4 swears by that as well. Any modern engine will last well over 100K miles if properly maintained!

Quote:

Originally posted by dcarrb
Having gotten 200,000 miles or better on each of my last three cars (two Subarus and a '68 Mustang) running plain, old Havoline 10W40, I'm of the opinion that frequent oil and filter changes have much more to do with engine longevity than the brand (or astounding claims) on the label. IMHO, paying four prices for a quart of oil doesn't make a great deal of sense.

dcb

Sonar 05-10-2004 01:39 PM

I think it is the Mobile1 0W40 Synthetic which is called "rally formula" here.

Sonar 05-10-2004 01:42 PM

-many things I think ......

"Yoda"

SVXer95 05-10-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcarrb

dcb

I agree with you to a point. I think the absolute best way to keep a motor running is frequent oil and filter changes. Although, with higher temperature ranges and longer breakdown periods synthetic motor oils will perform better. This is not some claim written on the side of the bottle, it is proven by laboratory testing.

I think it is worth a few extra dollars for a product with better performance.

Just my opinion.

mark10t 05-10-2004 03:39 PM

I've been using Mobil 1 almost exclusively in all my vehicles since about 1985 with my first Subaru - turbo- RX. I was concerned about breakdown temperatures in the turbo and 'coking'. I've since extended my Mobil 1 use to practically all lubricants in my vehicles including ATF (a MUST! in an SVX transmission!) and gearboxes.

My wife is now a heretic (non-Subaru, having let our daughter-in-law 'inherit' her '95 Outback) driving a Land Rover Freelander which REQUIRES synthetic. The only Mobil 1 formula 'allowed' by them to support the warranty is the new 0W-40 'European' formula. (I think that's taking things to extremes, myself. 5W-30 has always served me well.)

-Mark

immortal_suby 05-10-2004 07:13 PM

Havoline synthetic 10w-30 since 100k - now at 210k.

Regular havoline 10w30 in the wagon - 275k miles. Smokes like a stack at startup now but never had/needed any engine work done and beat the poor car like a red headed stepchild.

Always changed right around 3k.

sleepem 05-10-2004 09:01 PM

I have a 1992 LS-L with 297,500 oon the original, non-overhauled engine. It has been run on synthetics only the whole time and changed at 3-4000 miles.

So I'm pretty sure synthetics won't hurt these engines.

They did not work for flat aviation engines, but they are air cooled and use leaded fuel, which synthetics can't deal with (caused much lead sludge).

Rob- in Pilot mode..

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 11:06 PM

Mother of pearl! 297K+ miles on an original SVX engine?! I've heard about your SVX before - didn't realize it actually existed! :D

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepem
I have a 1992 LS-L with 297,500 oon the original, non-overhauled engine.

dcarrb 05-11-2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

I have a 1992 LS-L with 297,500 oon the original, non-overhauled engine. It has been run on synthetics only the whole time and changed at 3-4000 miles.
Rob- in Pilot mode..

Impressive.

How many transmissions?

dcb

svxcess 05-11-2004 03:02 PM

I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 (factory preferred for the 96 SVX). No problems whatsoever. Only Mobil 1 oil filters also.

I always thought that 10W 40/10W-50 oils gave more protection, until I looked under the hood of the 1993 Corvette ZR1 I have been babysitting/driving for the past 5 months. There is a big metal plaque on the underside of the hood which states that Mobil 1 5W-30 is the factory fill.

If that oil is good enough and recommended by GM to protect that 405hp beast, then I'll use it as well.

SVXer95 05-11-2004 03:05 PM

Although 5w30 is recommended from the factory, I have always been told to switch to 10w30 after a couple of years. As clearances in the motor become larger, a thicker oil is needed.

dcarrb 05-12-2004 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxcess

I always thought that 10W 40/10W-50 oils gave more protection, until I looked under the hood of the 1993 Corvette ZR1 I have been babysitting/driving for the past 5 months. There is a big metal plaque on the underside of the hood which states that Mobil 1 5W-30 is the factory fill.

If that oil is good enough and recommended by GM to protect that 405hp beast, then I'll use it as well.

Mobil 1 may well be the greatest invention since sweet iced tea, but it bears consideration that such brand-name endorsements are likely marketing deals.

dcb

sleepem 05-13-2004 08:24 PM

It is also the original tranny. It had some work done to it under warranty at 12,000 mi. and the campaign filter installed, that's it!! I have all the records back to about 8,000 mi. and I am the second owner. Most of these miles are freeway in the cool northwest, so steady speeds and not much shifting is probably easier on them than city/ stop n go stuff.

Rob:) :) :D

Chiketkd 05-13-2004 09:25 PM

Holy cow sleepem! Original tranny and motor?! :cool: Let us know when you car goes over the big 300K mark...

Take plenty of pics! :D

-Chike
Quote:

It is also the original tranny. It had some work done to it under warranty at 12,000 mi. and the campaign filter installed, that's it!! I have all the records back to about 8,000 mi. and I am the second owner. Most of these miles are freeway in the cool northwest, so steady speeds and not much shifting is probably easier on them than city/ stop n go stuff.

Rob:) :) :D

leviathan 05-14-2004 10:04 PM

I have been told by a guy that knows cars way better than I do to use a product called Prolong. It is an extra lubricant you can put in your oil, and he has had several cars last over 300k, because he uses the stuff and keeps them properly maintained. The stuff is about $15 at Checker, and for what he claims that seems reasonable.

newsvx 05-15-2004 11:52 AM

Mobil 1 for me!

Been using Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for many, many years. Bought a NEW 1994 SVX L model / FWD. From day one, Mobil 1. When it was wrecked, it had 115K mile on it with no leaks or iol burning between changes, which came every 4 to 5,000 miles. My current '97 has also run Mobile 1 since I got it four years ago with 9,000 miles on the clock. It now has 70K on it, and no problems. I should mention that both cars were autocrossed extensively and put on the track as well.

I would highly recommend Mobil 1. Yes, it is a bit expensive, compared to regular motor oil, but I feel it is well worth the difference.
Harry

Pierre-Olivier 09-12-2010 08:16 AM

Re: What's the best motor oil for our cars?

SoCal LS-L 09-12-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier (Post 657653)
MOTUL 300V 10W40 for my SVX.

Hmmm, zombie thread. I will leave my mark here nonetheless.

Postcount 1UP !!

ZMan 09-12-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier (Post 657653)

Good Answer! :lol:

Huskymaniac 09-12-2010 11:10 AM

He probably wanted to resurrect the discussion. I agree with what dcarb said 6 years ago! After talking with people on BITOG and my mechanic, frequent oil changes are more important than the oil itself, within reason. Yes, synthetic oils have higher flash points and retain viscosity over a wider range of temperatures but they still get dirty from combustion artifacts and not all of that contamination is filtered out by the oil filter. If you drive mostly highway miles and never in harsh conditions, you probably can switch to synthetics and drive 7500 miles or even more between oil changes. Then it is worth it. If you drive in mild to harsh conditions, however, the oil will get contaminated and should be changed ever 3750 miles. For that frequency, it is a waste of money to go with synthetic motor oil. Harsh is defined as short trips, dusty roads, high or low temperatures.

Differential and tranny oils, however, are a different story. Synthetics will result in lower operating temperature and will break down slower and can result in extended fluid change durations. I, however, will be sticking with 30K mile durations and just take advantage of the other benefits of synthetics in the differentials and tranny. Also, synthetics in the differentials and tranny will improve gas mileage whereas synthetic motor oils will have little impact on gas mileage. Ester based oils like Redline are particularly good in these cases as esters are especially good at wetting metal surfaces to aid in heat transfer.

I'm not sure I agree with comments on high mileage oils. They do help in keeping the engine clean and they have seal conditioners that help keep seals from shrinking and leaking. I actually view high mileage oils as more of a preventative measure rather than a fix for existing problems. It is unlikely that they will make leaky seals stop leaking for an extended period of time but they may help keep good seals in good condition.