The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Atco Dragstrip (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36358)

shotgunslade 12-03-2006 01:37 PM

Atco Dragstrip

MikeCG, TomsSVX and I were at Atco this morning for a Test and Tune, my very first drag strip drive. We were joined by Mike621 and Its Just Eric, there to spectate

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...lade/40122.jpg

Will let Tom and Mike tell you about their drives. Tom had a bit of misfortune. My first two slips (I'm car 111):

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...lade/40117.jpg

Then, I asked Tom to drive my car to show me how it should be done.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...lade/40120.jpg

He said he wouldn't try to get everything out of it, that he would baby the clutch a little bit at the start.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...lade/40121.jpg

But, he still managed to best my time by 0.3 sec. He said he thought there were still a few more tenths to be taken out of the time with a more aggressive rev's and clutch drop at the start.Results were 0.3 better than my best. When you want it done right, go to an expert.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...lade/40118.jpg

TomsSVX 12-03-2006 02:43 PM

thanks for the compliments Dan, I don't really have much to say about today but... **** happens. It was good to see everyone today and have a good time back at the track... It has been close to a year since I last went. I will be back again sometime but it doesn't look like anytime soon. I am going to follow my modo and with every repair make it a modification... Built EG33 comming this year:o

Tom

n00b on demand 12-03-2006 02:48 PM

so what did you break now tom?

:D :rolleyes:

TomsSVX 12-03-2006 03:49 PM

piston rings:rolleyes: or there is just a nice big hole in one of them:rolleyes:

Tom

Chiketkd 12-03-2006 04:06 PM

Nice pics! Great times Dan (and Tom driving your car).

Sorry to hear about your engine Tom. :( Good luck rebuilding her stringer and better! :cool:

-Chike

SomethingElse 12-03-2006 06:24 PM

Tom ive got a couple engines in the garage with just over 100k. Let me know if you need anything.

jsvxstyle 12-03-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
piston rings:rolleyes: or there is just a nice big hole in one of them:rolleyes:

Tom

tom this is jsvxstyle, also with the blower, what was your exhaust temp, when your motor melted, do you want want fries with that, give me a call for our issues, 925-584-5737 call me @ any time, :cool:

jsvxstyle 12-03-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse
Tom ive got a couple engines in the garage with just over 100k. Let me know if you need anything.

i need one how much, thank, i got french fries with mine:)

TomsSVX 12-03-2006 11:44 PM

are you saying that you popped your motor too?? I do not have an EGT gauge nor a wideband... I was monitoring the knock sensors which did nothing for me just after I cleared the ECU... Anyway... I may be in for a motor from you... know what you want for the lower mileage one?? I have my eye of a 52k engine but the seller may not want to part with it... So let me know what u r thinking;)

Tom

NeedForSpeed 12-04-2006 01:05 AM

Double motor melt with fries, not good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsvxstyle
i need one how much, thank, i got french fries with mine:)

NeedForSpeed 12-04-2006 01:09 AM

Mike, what about Mike?

mikecg 12-04-2006 05:08 AM

I made out fine. I didnt set any new records. Here's the stats off my best run:

R/T: .669
60': 1.884
330': 5.744
1/8: 8.987
MPH: 74.62
1000: 11.761
1/4: 14.142
MPH: 95.70

That was my fastest for the day. Strangely it felt like my slowest. But that could be because I was lined up beside a 10 Second car.......

I was faster than both Tom and my fathers Trailblazer SS. But considering Tom was having problems and nuked his motor, I wont consider it a win. Had a pretty good time all in all. Now I need to figure out how to test the software Tom didnt get a chance to run.

NeedForSpeed 12-04-2006 09:14 AM

Nice run Mike. Nine psi?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecg
I made out fine. I didnt set any new records. Here's the stats off my best run:

R/T: .669
60': 1.884
330': 5.744
1/8: 8.987
MPH: 74.62
1000: 11.761
1/4: 14.142
MPH: 95.70

That was my fastest for the day. Strangely it felt like my slowest. But that could be because I was lined up beside a 10 Second car.......

I was faster than both Tom and my fathers Trailblazer SS. But considering Tom was having problems and nuked his motor, I wont consider it a win. Had a pretty good time all in all. Now I need to figure out how to test the software Tom didnt get a chance to run.

Chiketkd 12-04-2006 06:00 PM

Nice time and amazing 60ft Mike! :cool:

SVXRide 12-04-2006 08:27 PM

So, are we coming to the conclusion that the stock engine doesn't like 12psi of boost:eek:

Mike - any traction issues on your 14.1 run? What rpm did you drop the clutch at?

-Bill

TomsSVX 12-04-2006 09:37 PM

without internal mods or some kind of race fuel/alch injection I highly recomend you do NOT run 12psi on the EG33

Tom

SVXRide 12-04-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

without internal mods or some kind of race fuel/alch injection I highly recomend you do NOT run 12psi on the EG33

Tom

Note to Tom...

Change wording with Avatar to read "Official S/C engine parts breaker":p ;)
(Hey, somebody has to do it and you're the man who has stepped up!)

-Bill (apologies to "old Tom" who only "kinda" broke his engine with his s/c:rolleyes: )

mikecg 12-05-2006 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
So, are we coming to the conclusion that the stock engine doesn't like 12psi of boost:eek:

Mike - any traction issues on your 14.1 run? What rpm did you drop the clutch at?

-Bill

Yes the tires rotated a little before biting, but not bad, Maybe about half a rotation. As for RPM, I'm not really sure. I was going off engine sound and not the tach. I was watching the tree. I didnt bring the RPMs up until the lights started.

mikecg 12-05-2006 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Nice time and amazing 60ft Mike! :cool:

Earlier this year I got an identical 60ft with a lower E.T.

solarsvx 12-05-2006 06:30 AM

what car ran the 12.30 @ 110 ?

mikecg 12-05-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsvx

Dont think that was an SVX

It's Just Eric 12-05-2006 06:36 PM

Gotta say it was pretty funny watching the svxi making good use of the burnout box

Tim 12-05-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Gotta say it was pretty funny watching the svxi making good use of the burnout box

Is that with your fwd or are you talking awd burnout... any video? :D

TomsSVX 12-05-2006 08:21 PM

Mike and I had to do burnouts to get any kind of launch... I also did a burnout in shotgunslade's car just to make sure the street tires would stick because I know I had trouble with mine on my black car

Tom

Budfreak 12-05-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

I think you have your numbers mixed up.:rolleyes: It's 13.20 and it was done by poweredx2. I have a feeling that record won't make it through next year though.:cool::D

Glad you guys had a good time at the track. Sorry to hear about the motor Tom. Let me know how your search for a new one goes as I have one with 102K miles on it that just needs valve seals that I don't want to part with, But I will if you need it bad enough.;)

Hocrest 12-05-2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
I think you have your numbers mixed up.:rolleyes: It's 13.20 and it was done by poweredx2.

Actually, I think he's referring to the one time slip that Dan posted in the first post. The car that ran against him had a 12.30 @ 110.

TomsSVX 12-05-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
I think you have your numbers mixed up.:rolleyes: It's 13.20 and it was done by poweredx2. I have a feeling that record won't make it through next year though.:cool::D

Glad you guys had a good time at the track. Sorry to hear about the motor Tom. Let me know how your search for a new one goes as I have one with 102K miles on it that just needs valve seals that I don't want to part with, But I will if you need it bad enough.;)

Thanks for the offer but I am not foolish enough to run this kind of power in a daily driver. The car is allowed to take a break whilst I figure out how I want to attack the issue. Plus it is the end of the semester here and I need to buckle down and get my final projects done and study for finals. The car is on the back burner for the next 2-3 weeks

Tom

TomsSVX 12-05-2006 10:55 PM

oh BTW i believe Mike621 has some video and I know he has video of my final run in which there is a lot of smoke:rolleyes:

Tom

solarsvx 12-06-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Actually, I think he's referring to the one time slip that Dan posted in the first post. The car that ran against him had a 12.30 @ 110.

yea im intrested in what car that was i know it wasnt a svx,

tom i ran 12.80s-12.90s on stock street tires and driving around the burn out box, there is no need to, in a AWD
1.60'-1.70's was my average 60' with launch control activated around 5,500-5,800 rpm
etheir i cut really good 60's or loose the 60' and gain on the top end trap speeds.

ohh well the wrx is gone =< and the svx is no way even close to being fast , so ill guess ill stay to styling and profiling LOL :p

SVXRide 12-06-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

oh BTW i believe Mike621 has some video and I know he has video of my final run in which there is a lot of smoke:rolleyes:

Tom

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
-Bill

mikecg 12-06-2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

tom i ran 12.80s-12.90s on stock street tires and driving around the burn out box, there is no need to, in a AWD
1.60'-1.70's was my average 60' with launch control activated around 5,500-5,800 rpm
etheir i cut really good 60's or loose the 60' and gain on the top end trap speeds.

ohh well the wrx is gone =< and the svx is no way even close to being fast , so ill guess ill stay to styling and profiling LOL :p

Our weight is hurting the numbers. Lighting up the SVX to WRX weight would do amazing things for 60' times, 1/4mile times and even the ability to launch harder. I have yet to be able to lauch my Stage III above 3K without spinning the tires. And that includes heating the tires in the box. I'm running BFG KDW2's. I'm considering going again on saturday. Maybe I'll take the AutuX tires along and see if I can get better grip with them. There not drag slicks, but If I can get them heated up, they should work better then the street tires, right?

TomsSVX 12-06-2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

Well to be honest our cars perform much differently than any wrx. We make so much torque that there is no way we could launch on street tires at any RPM over 3500. My launches we at 3k rpm and if the car was running right would have been axle busting. Any higher and you are looking to spin through 1st gear pretty well. At ATco there is no way to drive around the water as you come through a gate and thats where the water is.

To

SVXRide 12-06-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Our weight is hurting the numbers. Lighting up the SVX to WRX weight would do amazing things for 60' times, 1/4mile times and even the ability to launch harder. I have yet to be able to lauch my Stage III above 3K without spinning the tires. And that includes heating the tires in the box. I'm running BFG KDW2's. I'm considering going again on saturday. Maybe I'll take the AutuX tires along and see if I can get better grip with them. There not drag slicks, but If I can get them heated up, they should work better then the street tires, right?

Mike,

you should benefit if two things hold
1. the weight of the autoX tires/rims is less than your KDW2 tires/rims, and
2. you get the autoX tires heated up to the point where they start to stick

As you found at the Ripken event, when the Kumhos are cold, they actually stick less than street tires:eek:

-Bill

solarsvx 12-06-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Well to be honest our cars perform much differently than any wrx. We make so much torque that there is no way we could launch on street tires at any RPM over 3500. My launches we at 3k rpm and if the car was running right would have been axle busting. Any higher and you are looking to spin through 1st gear pretty well. At ATco there is no way to drive around the water as you come through a gate and thats where the water is.

To

well i just rembered, the automatic svx is FWD bias car so it would have some tire slip unless there is a 5 speed swap its 60-40 full time

torque, the sti are 300/300 so im sure it close to the svx numbers if not more, but the torque comes in a lot lower then a wrx or evo

i agree the svx is heavy and would be hard to get it to put out some good 60's

ether case, you guys have a upward battle, hard to find parts and hard to get a good power to weight ratio, but im glad you guys are out there getting it done =>

mikecg 12-06-2006 10:48 AM

Ya, one of the guys at my work has a 2002 WRX that is still stock. We played around a little( just a couple had take offs from some stoplights on the parkway with no traffic around.) We seemed to be fairly evenly matched. The only advantage I had was not having to wait for the boost to build up.

solarsvx 12-06-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Ya, one of the guys at my work has a 2002 WRX that is still stock. We played around a little( just a couple had take offs from some stoplights on the parkway with no traffic around.) We seemed to be fairly evenly matched. The only advantage I had was not having to wait for the boost to build up.

i love broad power band of the svx, i think the engine is well built and ahead of its time.

3.3 with a 7,000 rpm redline is verry nice

my thoughts are if they made it lighter and a nice 5 or 6 speed when it was introduce would it have turned into a boy racer car? or was it best they kept it automatic and a luxury touring car? just a o/t thought

mikecg 12-06-2006 12:12 PM

You could have made it a little lighter and given it a manual while still keeping it a luxo tourer. Lok at the competing cars. The 3000GT/Stealth were more luxo then sports car and yet still got manuals