The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   10 years from now? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5648)

Andy 08-28-2002 03:55 PM

10 years from now?

As a driver of a 10 year old SVX, just like many of you, I wonder which current or soon to arrive new cars might hold the same attraction in ten years time.

The closest that I can think of is the new Mazda RX8. Quirky enough to be interesting. a 4 seater (2+21/2) New SVX price bracket.

But maybe you have your own favourites or ideas?

Andy

CGLathrop 08-28-2002 04:05 PM

My Vote..

Audi TT. Just something about it.

Im sure there is a few others...

Chris

Andy 08-28-2002 04:08 PM

Audi TT is just a Golf in a fancy dress, a silk purse out of a sows ear? maybe, but not an engineered car in its own right.

Andy

MartyMcFly 08-28-2002 04:17 PM

Cars

I like the new Mercedes Benz SL 500.
Do you know the VW Scirocco/Corrado?
I like this car. Maye I am going to buy a VW Scirocco as my second car.
It's also designed from Italdesign!

http://www.scirocco.org

mfg hrc

Seraph 08-28-2002 04:30 PM

you guys are forgetting something -- Current SVX. It will still be there arousing peoples' interest.

SVXCH 08-28-2002 04:33 PM

I had before 2 Corrados. A G60 and a VR6. They were good cars, but not so good like the SVX :)

My favorite of the coming cars is also the Mazda RX8. What for a look and design!

@hrc

Did you see information about the brakes on my homepage?

Greetings

Kusi

CGLathrop 08-28-2002 05:27 PM

Why??

First you ask..
Quote:

"But maybe you have your own favourites or ideas?
Then i gave my idea... and you said..

Quote:

[i]
Audi TT is just a Golf in a fancy dress, a silk purse out of a sows ear? maybe, but not an engineered car in its own right.

Andy

Why ask for someones idea if your just going to shoot it down?

Chris

DavieGravy 08-28-2002 10:39 PM

How about this>>>Nothing. Every new car comming out is what I like to call a "Hontoy Accamry". They all look the freakin same and have no personality as far as looks are concerned. I agree about the VW Corrado though, but even that car isn't a new model. Infact, it's probably in the same class of uniqueness as the SVX.

Dave

Landshark 08-28-2002 10:42 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[i]

Andy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have you ever driven a TT? my mom has one - nice car. if you've driven one, then i'll value your comment. i didn't know the Golf came in AWD - the TT does.

anyways, how long will you hold onto your car when the parts start being discontinued? we've already seen the grey floormats go. how about when Subaru quits making the ECU's? or wheel bearings? it'll happen - i think its only 5 years that car companies need to support parts for a discontinued model. they didn't make many SVX's, so once those accountants start looking at the figures for manufacturing those parts in the coming years..... :(

Green1995SVX 08-28-2002 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
quote:
[i]

Andy

have you ever driven a TT? my mom has one - nice car. if you've driven one, then i'll value your comment. i didn't know the Golf came in AWD - the TT does.

anyways, how long will you hold onto your car when the parts start being discontinued? we've already seen the grey floormats go. how about when Subaru quits making the ECU's? or wheel bearings? it'll happen - i think its only 5 years that car companies need to support parts for a discontinued model. they didn't make many SVX's, so once those accountants start looking at the figures for manufacturing those parts in the coming years..... :(

Alan- It's 10 years I believe. So, we're looking at 2007 for the last guaranteed availability of crucial SVX parts. Time to start stocking up. <begins making space in closet for a case of wheel bearings>

-Mike :D

Landshark 08-28-2002 10:50 PM

i'm pretty sure its 5 years. they quit making 928's in 1995 and in 2001 the fuel injection computer was no longer in production. its scary!!!!:eek:

Green1995SVX 08-28-2002 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
i'm pretty sure its 5 years. they quit making 928's in 1995 and in 2001 the fuel injection computer was no longer in production. its scary!!!!:eek:
I stand corrected. :D

I_Alcyone_I 08-29-2002 12:44 AM

I'm sure that when that happens, more substitutable parts will be found. Perhaps at a lower cost? Anyway, one can only hope.

Andy 08-29-2002 12:45 AM

Re: Why??

Quote:

Originally posted by CGLathrop
First you ask..

Why ask for someones idea if your just going to shoot it down?

Chris

Sorry, did not mean to cause offence, it's just that some people do not realise that the TT is a Golf under the skin, including engine, drivetrain and floorpan. These components are also common to the Skoda Octavia.

In the Golf, the AWD system is called the 4-motion.

Sorry again :( :(

Andy

I_Alcyone_I 08-29-2002 12:48 AM

Re: Re: Why??

Yeah but if you drive a Skoda Octavia, you are going to get way more looks than in a golf or TT. In the US anyway.

sith 08-29-2002 06:40 AM

Heh, the Octavia rocks. I love watching it on WRC ...

benebob 08-29-2002 07:08 AM

Audi TT

Having driven the Audi TT (in both forms) it is a well constructed car for an upper 20k chasis platform. Much higher it doesn't compete well with the platforms from Mercedes, BMW and the like. Not nearly as well put together. Kinda like putting the Outback or WRX in an upper $$$ class of car. One thing to mention about the Audi TT that I read about a year after its debut is that apparently it had the highest death rate per mile driven of any car since the 70s. I'm sure that has changed as more were built and they were driven more miles but still that frightens me. As for looks I'm not sure that 10 years from now it'll look like a new car though.

svxistentialist 08-29-2002 08:37 AM

Golf in drag

I like the Audi TT. It has a purity of design like the SVX. Both are "show" cars that made it to production.

Andy is right about the Golf underpinnings, but it does not make them less desirable if you are a shape person.

Having said that, I do not hanker for one, there is little room in them, and are too small to have the road presence of the SVX.

I have three "hankerings", itches that will need to be scratched.

I like the Alfa Romeo Zagata coupe[3.0 litre six], wedge shaped, brutality in the styling.

Also, I can see myself behind the wheel of the Maserati Quattroporte V8 twin turbo. This kind of excess really appeals to me. Wedge shape also.

With lottery money, a Ferrari 456 GT has got to be on the list, but I would wait till they drop 100k or so in price.

A sensible and sybarytic everyday car would be current S Type Jaguar that does not cause drool or wet dreams, but desirable for all that.

Thems my pickins.

Joe:)

Seraph 08-29-2002 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did any of you guys see the new concept from Saab? 900x? That I'd love to own.

Seraph 08-29-2002 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a better view

Andy 08-29-2002 03:05 PM

Nice one Seraph.

As Saab are part of GM, the design could even end up as the SVXII

Andy

Boone 08-29-2002 03:50 PM

Jeez, I posted about the new SAAB months ago but nobody twitched. :p Boone (owned SAABs before GM) :D

http://www.canadiandriver.com/previews/saab9-3x.htm

1994SubaruSVX 08-29-2002 04:15 PM

saabs look nice but they are junk.....

my bosses wife owns 9-5 and the radio has had to be replaced, the traction control, and the starter has been replaced twice. i before i forget to mention it, the car car is only one year old.

Boone 08-29-2002 04:19 PM

Re: saabs look nice but they are junk.....

.. I don't know if I'd go that far but I didn't want to buy a newer generation one that looks like an Opel (GM). I bought an SVX. :eek:

svxistentialist 08-29-2002 05:15 PM

Bulging bullet

Just finished waxing lyrical about brutalism in an Alfa, and you guys spring this?

Might appeal to astronauts, looks ready for re-entry. Or else it's an oversized suppository with windows.

Does not appeal.

Joe:eek:

SVXphile 08-29-2002 06:43 PM

Future classics

<As a driver of a 10 year old SVX, just like many of you, I wonder which current or soon to arrive new cars might hold the same attraction in ten years time.
The closest that I can think of is the new Mazda RX8. Quirky enough to be interesting. a 4 seater (2+21/2) New SVX price bracket.
But maybe you have your own favourites or ideas?>

To return to your original question Andy, my vote will go to the new Mini. It is a great redesign of a previous classic; modern improvements over the original, yet paying homage to it's ancestor in many easily identified ways. True, there is the BMW factor, but to their credit they didn't come up with some egg on wheels, and call it a Mini. Park the new and old together, and anyone can see the evolution. I would LOVE to have the supercharged model to race up and down the mountain to and from school!

:) Don

SVXphile 08-29-2002 06:50 PM

Saab story...

I have to agree, Joe. I have always like SAAB cars, but that first photo looks....well....I don't think I have words to describe it. The second one is a bit of an improvement...

As for the first design, stick a pair of 50 calibers out the back, and the rear would resemble the tailgunner's window on a B-29....:( Don

LarryIII 08-30-2002 08:24 AM

The concept kind of reminds me of my 1997 SAAB Monte Carlo V-4.
Yes, I said V-4. It did not have the old SAAB 3-cylinder, 2-cycle, corn-popper engine. I rallyed that car and it was my everyday transportation. I loved that car.

svxjoe 08-30-2002 09:52 AM

Not liking it....

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
Did any of you guys see the new concept from Saab? 900x? That I'd love to own.
If you like the Toyota Matrix..or the Pontiac Vibe....or even that thing that Suzuki has come out with, ther's no reason that you shouldn't love that new Saab. All those cars have the same concept.....They are crossover cars. A mix between Utility, Sporty, Car, Sedan kinda thing.

Personally...I don't like that look. I like my cars to look destinct according to what they are used for.

For Example:
SVX- Luxury and Sport
Dodge Caravan- people porter
Viper- Super Sport
Cadillac- luxury

Not saying that a car that looks like a sedan can't have performance...just sayin that a car that look likes a Hatchback and a minivan mated is, in my opinion, ugly.

Just take a close look at the Saab.....you will see the Matrix, Vibe characteristics pop out.

-SVXJoe:cool:

benebob 08-30-2002 10:15 AM

Cross over vehicles

Pontiac Vibe= Dodge Colt wagon
Toyota Matrix= Honda Civic wagon

Nuf said?:)

Vern! 08-30-2002 10:27 AM

Re: Cross over vehicles

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

No, 'nuf not said. Pontiac Vibe == Toyota Matrix == Toyota COROLLA wagon. The Honda Civic wagon (in the USA) is available only as a Civic Si.

benebob 08-30-2002 11:55 AM

Quote:

No, 'nuf not said. Pontiac Vibe == Toyota Matrix == Toyota COROLLA wagon. The Honda Civic wagon (in the USA) is available only as a Civic Si.

20 years ago nearly every Jap. car company and their rebadged cousins had this same idea. Sorry but the Vibe and the like are just rebadges of a bad idea to begin with. There is nothing sporty about jacking up the center of gravity of a normal sedan, reskinning it and calling it a sport-cross-over. Its just pathetic. Go buy yourself a Jetta Turbo wagon. If you need space. It'll out perform all of these in 1. interior room, 2. 0-60, 3. handling, 4. braking. Besides, I think they're giving out free drivers wanted t-shirts.

I_Alcyone_I 08-31-2002 04:10 PM

Personally I think that Saab looks fantastic. I would definatly own one if I had the extra money.

billisa 08-31-2002 07:02 PM

Infiniti J-30 or a G-35

I was tempted to get a J-30 instead of an SVX, albeit it's a different car... Also, the current G-35 looks great!

svxeno 08-31-2002 07:13 PM

I kinda like the new VW Passat W8. AWD & V8 (kind of)

I haven't driven one yet but it should be quite the ve-hic-el.

Randy ii

LarryIII 09-01-2002 05:44 AM

10 years from now. I'll probably be sitting in my SVX in my Depends, adjusting the really dark glasses that I received after my cataract surgery, and I'll be drooling on the steering wheel.
I'll also be trying to remember where I was going to go because I got in the car.

Enjoy your youth while it lasts.

249SVX 09-03-2002 08:40 AM

Re: Cross over vehicles

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

In reference to the Dodge/Plymouth Colt wagons. They ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had an 88 Colt 4x4 and never got stuck in it. I would like to get another one but they are getting old and very rare.:(

And another thing...

I didn't know the Golf came with AWD. Must be a Europe only thing again.:rolleyes:

Aredubjay 09-03-2002 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boone
Jeez, I posted about the new SAAB months ago but nobody twitched. :p Boone (owned SAABs before GM) :D

http://www.canadiandriver.com/previews/saab9-3x.htm

Looks kinda like the Audi Steppenwolf. "Born to be wi-i-i-i-ild!":D

http://www.autopictures.com/steppenwolf/

I_Alcyone_I 09-03-2002 02:59 PM

Re: Re: Cross over vehicles

Quote:

Originally posted by 249SVX

In reference to the Dodge/Plymouth Colt wagons. They ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had an 88 Colt 4x4 and never got stuck in it. I would like to get another one but they are getting old and very rare.:(

And another thing...

I didn't know the Golf came with AWD. Must be a Europe only thing again.:rolleyes:

Golf with 4-motion.

Landshark 09-03-2002 04:34 PM

did VW develop 4-motion themselves or did they borrow Audi's Quattro system?
i was searching for SVX stuff on the web a while back, and a guy in a discussion panel said he had an SVX and an Audi, and he thought the SVX's AWD system was superior. :D