The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Flatt Racing Exhaust Replica (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48906)

TomsSVX 01-27-2009 06:05 PM

Flatt Racing Exhaust Replica

I was recently contracted to build a new exhaust system for Chuckles. He had purchased two Thrush mufflers in hopes to make a Flatt Racing exhaust replica.. This is how it came out:)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...X/DSCF1250.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...X/DSCF1255.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...X/DSCF1249.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...X/DSCF1247.jpg

Still waiting for the tips to arrive... I am about to fire it up to see how she sounds:D

Tom

Psychosis5150 01-27-2009 06:14 PM

Re: Flatt Racing Exhaust Replica

Give us sound!! ::D:D (Pretty please?)

TomsSVX 01-27-2009 06:16 PM

It sounds great!!! One last pic because I didn't get this angle...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...X/DSCF1256.jpg

I cannot get sound on my camera for some reason:confused:

Tom

JaySVX 01-27-2009 06:23 PM

That looks awesome. It looks like minimal work to make too, relatively strait with low resistance. Is this something you're considering adding to your "bolt on and go" things for sale, or is this a once and done thing?

TomsSVX 01-27-2009 06:27 PM

Not that simple. I had to make the Y at the mufflers which took about 2hrs by itself. We are considering making bolt-on exhaust systems but they will use a polished stainless bullet muffler like this one...

http://simplepic.net/albums/userpics...l_DSCF1087.JPG

Tom

SVXMAN2001 01-27-2009 06:31 PM

Please provide a sound clip! I am dieing to here what it sounds like

TomsSVX 01-27-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 584473)
Please provide a sound clip! I am dieing to here what it sounds like

As soon as I can get another camera in here to record it... Mine doesn't do sound

Tom

Mike621 01-27-2009 06:49 PM

I will do video on Saturday. Looks great! I'm excited about this one.

Crazy_pilot 01-27-2009 08:29 PM

Looks sweet. That's very similar to the design I have for the exhaust I'm going to make. I have a pipe bender at work which does near mandrel-quality bends, so I can make all of the pipes a single piece. What are the dimensions of the mufflers you used at the rear? I had planned on some Borla ones that look to fit the bill pretty well.

JaySVX 01-27-2009 08:56 PM

I like hte first one you posted better. Keep at it!

TomsSVX 01-27-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 584504)
Looks sweet. That's very similar to the design I have for the exhaust I'm going to make. I have a pipe bender at work which does near mandrel-quality bends, so I can make all of the pipes a single piece. What are the dimensions of the mufflers you used at the rear? I had planned on some Borla ones that look to fit the bill pretty well.

System particulars...

2" pipes post pre-cats
Dual 2" in single 2.5" ot magnaflow cat
2.5 Resonator (not sure of brand, customer supplied it)
Custom 2.5 inlet 2" dual outlet y pipe
2 2" center in offset 2" outlet mufflers
going to dual slant oval tips.

100% mandrel bent with 4 hangers and single 3bolt flange after main cat

Tom

TomsSVX 01-28-2009 08:45 AM

Well I test drove the car last night and this morning... So some feedback on the system

It is quite tame, not loud, obnoxious, or tinny. It has a nice low end growl that feeds to a nice top end light roar. This car has a cone filter in the engine bay... I know, I know... and the intake it louder than the exhaust is. I am very glad with how the system came out and how good it sounds. It is close to the Stebro sound just a bit quieter:)

Tom

SVXMAN2001 01-28-2009 09:10 AM

Tom, now would this system be a performance upgrade, meaning more efficient (less restrictive), as compared to the Stebro system? All I need is the sound clip, I'll most likely be sold on this setup. Was this a one off type deal, or would you be willing to do this again?

TomsSVX 01-28-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 584568)
Tom, now would this system be a performance upgrade, meaning more efficient (less restrictive), as compared to the Stebro system? All I need is the sound clip, I'll most likely be sold on this setup. Was this a one off type deal, or would you be willing to do this again?

would think this system does flow better than the stebro... But I would rather use a straight through muffler instead of the chambered mufflers that he had brought here. Also If you wanted a performance exhaust, getting rid of the pre-cats would be needed. The system would need to be bigger too, I would say 2.25 head pipes... 3" cat back to 2.25" tails...

Oh did I mention equal length headers??... More or less, someone looking to replace the exhaust w/ new components and wants a little more sound, this is ideal... If you want a real performance exhaust, thats a totally different story.

I would not be opposed to making a similar system again though

Tom

TomsSVX 01-28-2009 11:27 AM

We will be making bolt-in exhaust kits soon. Here is a pic of the components we will use.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...X/DSCF1258.jpg

They will look like the exhaust on the black car mentioned above except a little different for the bolt-in-ability

Tom

TomsSVX 01-30-2009 04:12 PM

I am loading video right now of two systems side by side. Both are brand new.

The car on the left has our Bullet cat-back with a 2-1 magnaflow cat(still needs tips)
The car on the right is the one pictured above which is the Flatt Replica.

The flatt exhaust is not as raspy as it sounds in the video... It is quite nice so take the video with a grain of salt

Tom

Freeman 01-30-2009 06:24 PM

I've made my choice.. lol

Tim 01-30-2009 07:04 PM

Me likey the bullet muffler :D

oldss72 01-30-2009 07:18 PM

how much are you looking to sell your kit for tom?

I would be interested in 5 months once I am back from Germany...Will you have them by then?

TomsSVX 01-30-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldss72 (Post 585137)
how much are you looking to sell your kit for tom?

I would be interested in 5 months once I am back from Germany...Will you have them by then?

We are making our first bolt-in cat-back tonight. We will post pics and videos when it is completed. They will be available as soon as we deem it a success

Tom

NikFu S. 01-30-2009 08:33 PM

I think the Flatt replica actually sounds really cool.

TomsSVX 01-30-2009 08:38 PM

I really like the replica too, I do like the low tone of the bullet personally but the Flatt-rep really has a nice unique sound that really isn't captured well in the video

Tom

AyeJaye 01-30-2009 09:03 PM

I like it too. Ballsy, but not overdone.

immortal_suby 01-31-2009 07:15 AM

I love the one on the left.

TomsSVX 01-31-2009 06:51 PM

got the bolt-in cat-back done today... Loading pics and making a new thread

Tom

Chuckles 02-02-2009 07:45 PM

I saw the video before I heard the car, and I'm so glad it doesn't sound like that.:D The car has a very mellow tone, and I am extremely happy with the result. Tom did a great job!:cool:

Side note: What is wrong with my air filter? seriously guys, educate me, what did I do wrong with that?:o (ANSWERED)

Thank you for the above clarification... I always assumed since most show cars have them mounted there, that must be the right spot. I was going to redo the entire intake anyway, so thanks for the knowledge.

immortal_suby 02-02-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckles (Post 585604)
Side note: What is wrong with my air filter? seriously guys, educate me, what did I do wrong with that?:o

Cone filter in the engine bay = warm air intake. Sort of a de-performance mod.

Crazy_pilot 02-02-2009 08:21 PM

^^^What he said. The whole point of a "performance" air intake is to pull low restriction, cold air into the engine. Cold air is more dense, therefore you get a bit more power. Air under the hood is hot, mainly because of that big hunk of aluminum that makes all the noise. Drawing in the hot air from the engine bay not only robs you of power, it also makes your engine more prone to knock (if you're trying to drive the wheels off it) by bringing in a hotter air charge. Mainly with a cone filter you get more noise, and to many people noise = power, so :banana: [/hijack]

Back on topic, with the Flatt replica being solidly welded/bolted together, is there any concern about stress on the system from the engine twisting under load? The stock exhaust has the sprung flanges into and out of the main cat, giving it some room to flex. I know our engines aren't exactly jumping around the engine bay, but would you be concerned about long term problems? Stress cracking at the welds, etc?

Hondasucks 02-02-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 584474)
As soon as I can get another camera in here to record it... Mine doesn't do sound

Tom

I have access to a digital video camera, I can provide a DVD quality video with sound, just mail me an exhaust setup and I'll put it on my car and send you a video. :D

TomsSVX 02-03-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 585613)
^^^What he said. The whole point of a "performance" air intake is to pull low restriction, cold air into the engine. Cold air is more dense, therefore you get a bit more power. Air under the hood is hot, mainly because of that big hunk of aluminum that makes all the noise. Drawing in the hot air from the engine bay not only robs you of power, it also makes your engine more prone to knock (if you're trying to drive the wheels off it) by bringing in a hotter air charge. Mainly with a cone filter you get more noise, and to many people noise = power, so :banana: [/hijack]

Back on topic, with the Flatt replica being solidly welded/bolted together, is there any concern about stress on the system from the engine twisting under load? The stock exhaust has the sprung flanges into and out of the main cat, giving it some room to flex. I know our engines aren't exactly jumping around the engine bay, but would you be concerned about long term problems? Stress cracking at the welds, etc?

I have done several systems without flex-joints without issue. more or less as long as it is hung properly, the hangers take all the stress. His system is hung from front to back using... Head bolts, Rear trans hanger, resonator hanger, two tail pipe hangers. Using this, the front of the system is suspended attached to the engine/trans (the things that move) so there is literally no stress there. the othe hangers are rubber so they will flex and move the little bit that the exhaust does move back there.

Tom