The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54119)

benebob 04-18-2010 05:54 AM

Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up...

As one who quickly came to realize that Reading isn't about the cars but rather about the great people here. I came away from this years Reading simply horrified by the condition of nearly 1/2 of the cars at Reading. As the car ages it i showing that there is definately a lack of "pride of ownership" among some of the cars there. It was more like a trip to a parts car section of a car meet then anything else.

Of course there were plenty of very nice solid examples there to but the cars quickly went down hill from there. As one who enjoys the build of a project car more than buying a shiney example that you know nothing about I truely hope that these cars are mearly "works in progress" and that next year I will see a marked improvement in many of them. Otherwise, I fear that I won't stick around beyond visiting with some of the many friends I've come to know through the SVX. It is simply not enjoyable to sit by watching the rapidly declining overall condition of the average SVX. Yes I realize that values do not justify the cost of a proper restoration on a 18 year old SVX but pride of ownership should justify it provided it is a car worthy of a restoration. Remember, any restoration is a money loser for the owner. It is simply the owners desire to keep the mark alive (and usually a very understanding better half) :D which results in a proper restoration not finaical incentives which will likely never come.

I'm not saying any of this to judge any of the owners in attendance as I do realize that everyone is in different situations and had different priorities but rather as an observation of the rapid decline of many cars.

That said it was great to see everyone and meet some of the newer members in attendence. Lets just see what everyone can do to make next years reading a little better and little more lets say "polished".

SilverSpear 04-18-2010 06:59 AM

Re: Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up...

That I was fearing the most... by the end of the day, these cars brought us together, it is a shame that we neglect them and focus more on friendships and vice versa.

From looking at the pictures I can see that reading 10 was the best. Well this comment also is preliminary now, need to see more pictures of 11.

Sean486 04-18-2010 07:07 AM

Thats a bit harsh Ben, I thought the majority were in very good shape. Maybe 4 or 5 that were pretty rough.

The turnout was small though, I am guessing 10-20 cars less than Reading 10.

SVXyGirl 04-18-2010 07:25 AM

I will say that my Claret that was in attendance was not as pretty as some of the others on the outside. Since it is my daily driver, I've been busy upgrading and fixing the issues with the engine and drivetrain before I drop the money for a new paint job.

Forgive me if my car was considered an eye sore. I still love it anyway...

benebob 04-18-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 643227)
Thats a bit harsh Ben, I thought the majority were in very good shape. Maybe 4 or 5 that were pretty rough.

I think I said that a majority was in very good shape. The downside is that most of those are garage queens that rarely see the light of day. It wasn't just this reading. The downward spiral has been going on since Reading 3, this year it just followed the 09 stock market.;)

SVXygirl, eyesore hardly, I know not every car can nor should be a concours car as I'm an advocate of "drive them don't hide them" and that's kind of hard to do when you have a 10k paint job. I'm just hoping the bottom has dropped out and the cars slowly begin the hard journey back to a very respectable 20 year old car.;)

Again as I already said for years, what makes the SVX and Reading unique it the car world is the mixed ownership and the mutual respect. The cars come 2nd to that to me.:)

Green1995SVX 04-18-2010 08:20 AM

Ben-

I noticed this last year. Some cars which I remember as once being prime examples were now in very rough shape. It was depressing to say the least.

I remember at my first reading, every single car there was in gorgeous condition.

benebob 04-18-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 643235)
Ben-

I noticed this last year. Some cars which I remember as once being prime examples were now in very rough shape. It was depressing to say the least.

I remember at my first reading, every single car there was in gorgeous condition.

You and your analitly;) should be glad you weren't here this year.:D I too have noticed the same decline over the years which is to be somewhat expected. It is the lack of seeing cars which are in the process of going the other way that concerns me. Seriously I'm making these statements to be offensive but in my mind if I only had $500 in the budget I'd spend it on my car rather than a weekend in Reading unless I was new to the scene and needed to get help, parts, etc.

I actually felt horrible taking my TVR to the annual TVR meet in Philly last September. I tried to not even park it on the show field in fact! Mine was by far the ugliest and roughest car there out of the 20-25 that were there. I needed to have some assistance though on running wires, etc that having it there made it so much easier. Again its a marque which is just as value challenged. The most valuable TVR Griffiths which will give a AC Cobra 289 fits in speed and kills it in handling tops out at less than $50k for a concours example. It is all about pride.;)

ensteele 04-18-2010 10:39 AM

I agree that the friendships that I have made through this amazing care are one of the best benifits. I also see many types of owners which are as varied as the cars themselves. They go from the young owner who has one that is a bit rough, but bursts with pride that they have one at all. It may not be the best, but it puts them in that ownership class that they are so proud of and they want to make it into the best one that they can. Then there are others, young and old that have one, love it, drive it, and don't really care it it is waxed, washed, or missing a few pieces. Then there are the others who want to bring any of them up to the best condition that they can, whether it was a project car, or one of the best in condition. Owners come in all of these different types and that will always make the condition varied in any group.

One of the most fun type of meet that I have been involved in the past years are maintenance meets. Not majoy rebuilds, but belts, lights, brakes, rotors, wiper blades, and other things that can be tackled over a few hours. The members want to fix some of the little things, but don't know how to do it. A couple of the other that do, help them out and the pride that they come away with is amazing! I am sure most members know the good feeling that they have after getting a light fixed on the dash or overhead buttons can make a big difference in the driving experience. It is the thing that you know is wrong, but don't know where to find the bulb or how to install it. You still get the great meet with friends, but get something accomplished as well. :)

When I look at a SVX, it is really hard to remember that it is an eighteen year old car. Yes, they wear out, but when you look at a group of them, it is also hard to believe that most of them are 150,000 to 250,000 mile cars still going and are still reliable. :)

Just another thought about this great car and the friends that come with it. I am very proud to be a part of this special group which has added so much to my life.

wdb 04-18-2010 10:57 AM

Well wow. Probably a good thing I didn't show up yesterday - my car is in pretty rough looking condition. I would have just depressed the whole lot of you even more.

Or, maybe you would have felt better about the condition of your car in comparison to mine! :eek:

At any rate I'm sorry I'm missing it. It's not far from me, less than an hour, but I didn't mark the date and my weekend is packed solid. Sigh, so much for picking up a sunroof skin.

Freeman 04-18-2010 11:19 AM

I thought that most of the cars were in fine condition, save 3 or 4. The only problem was that a lot of people didnt really take the time to even wash their cars. I know it was raining on Friday and it was ugly outside on Saturday but I washed my car twice since I was there and I cleaned my windows at least 8 times, lol. On friday it was gorgeous out earlier in the day and still nobody had bothered to wash their cars.

My car is no shining example of a show car or anything of the sort, but I made sure she was clean, inside and out. Rear dent and a paint chip or two, she was still presentable.

Even on the way home when my girlfriend and I made it to the toll booth on the border of PA at around 2:00am, the woman at the booth commented on how "different" the windows were and before we drove off commented on how beautiful the car was.

We may see them as torn up or "falling apart" but some others may not. Let's just keep in mind to wash them every so often.. :p

Green1995SVX 04-18-2010 11:50 AM

I guess I can't talk. Mine has been sitting dirty in my garage for 2 weeks. :(

ensteele 04-18-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 643255)
I guess I can't talk. Mine has been sitting dirty in my garage for 2 weeks. :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Oh my! :lol:

shotgunslade 04-18-2010 12:10 PM

Mine was dirty and the paint on the wing is hideous as it peels off from stone dings. But I've only had it back for 2 weeks. It was gestating at the All We'll Drive Shop for 9 months. Last weekend, I was down at Wiley Forge to pick up the fiberglass hood. Haven't even had time to put in the new rear seat backs I bought 6 months ago. After this summer track season, it'll go in for a compete disassembled body respray. At that point, maybe the show will match the go.

There were several really pretty examples. Unfortunately two of the better ones, John's in particular, are also emerald, highlighting the sad state of my aesthetics.

If only it hadn't been so damn cold.

LarryIII 04-18-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 643242)
I agree that the friendships that I have made through this amazing care are one of the best benifits. I also see many types of owners which are as varied as the cars themselves. They go from the young owner who has one that is a bit rough, but bursts with pride that they have one at all. It may not be the best, but it puts them in that ownership class that they are so proud of and they want to make it into the best one that they can. Then there are others, young and old that have one, love it, drive it, and don't really care it it is waxed, washed, or missing a few pieces. Then there are the others who want to bring any of them up to the best condition that they can, whether it was a project car, or one of the best in condition. Owners come in all of these different types and that will always make the condition varied in any group.

One of the most fun type of meet that I have been involved in the past years are maintenance meets. Not majoy rebuilds, but belts, lights, brakes, rotors, wiper blades, and other things that can be tackled over a few hours. The members want to fix some of the little things, but don't know how to do it. A couple of the other that do, help them out and the pride that they come away with is amazing! I am sure most members know the good feeling that they have after getting a light fixed on the dash or overhead buttons can make a big difference in the driving experience. It is the thing that you know is wrong, but don't know where to find the bulb or how to install it. You still get the great meet with friends, but get something accomplished as well. :)

When I look at a SVX, it is really hard to remember that it is an eighteen year old car. Yes, they wear out, but when you look at a group of them, it is also hard to believe that most of them are 150,000 to 250,000 mile cars still going and are still reliable. :)

Just another thought about this great car and the friends that come with it. I am very proud to be a part of this special group which has added so much to my life.

Which has added so much to my life." Earl, I hate to correct your English, but it should read 'added so many (SVXes) to my lfe.' :D:lol::p;)

Missed you!

SilverSpear 04-18-2010 01:23 PM

Guys, if you don't mind me asking, but why you always do Reading meets in April? Why not in July/August when it is basically summer instead?

This time of year will also be a great time for International owners to visit, attend the meet and spend a couple weeks "practicing" tourism in beautiful America...

Well I do not intend to go there for just one day, neither to sit indoors because of rain... and I would like to meet you all in daylight :D

Sorry if I used the plurial form of "all" the international owners, hope I am right in this.

Freeman 04-18-2010 02:34 PM

This April was too cold.. It was the suggestion of someone there that we move it back a month or so..

Bobb 04-18-2010 02:36 PM

Hi everyone, I just told my wife that "NEXT YEAR" we will be at Reading. Yes, I have a garage queen, but its real pretty. The two of us are going to try and make it to Earl's DABOB. I would like to thank Earl for naming it after me. I think we might be driving the farthest to get there. My sister lives in California, so we will stop to see her and my daughter in Indiana. The old girl will have more miles put on her than in the last eight or nine years. The SVX will get a lot of miles as well. Take care and see you at Reading next year, BOBB

green_eyed_lady 04-18-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 643268)
Guys, if you don't mind me asking, but why you always do Reading meets in April? Why not in July/August when it is basically summer instead?

Danny,

Short answer -- tradition. The original "Reading" meet was held in April and every year we kick around the idea of moving it, but ultimately we end up scheduling it for the third weekend in April, unless it conflicts with Easter.

Also, that's why it is referred to as the "Reading" meet, even though it has NEVER been held in Reading. (It was supposed to be there, but they never quite made it that far.)

I guess it's a good thing that Ben Rowley's original meet date got pushed back a month, or we'd be having our meet in March! :eek:

I am also in favor of moving it to June or so... especially after these last couple of years. Brrrrr!

LetItSnow 04-18-2010 04:08 PM

There's no question that my Pearly was no showpiece this year. It's still got decal goo from one of the obligatory decals from last year's National Tour on its right rear fender. The front wheels are twice as filthy as the filthy rear ones from my never-gonna-buy-'em-again Axxis pads (I'll verbally clean this up) spitting dust all over them, and the distance from the car wash to the Holiday Inn would have coated them all over again. The glovebox is out because I'm completing an alarm/remote start install which has given me a little struggle. The two notable rust spots are just proof of its experience with the salt in my Salt City, which it will never experience again - at least not in my hands. The trunk gap thing I can't explain, but I'm working that out.

And for everybody ('cos you're all asking ;) ): The slot in the waterfall is a cutout for my remote mount radar detector antenna. It's ugly. It's experimental. It's temporary.

Given that the engine sounded like <this> last fall and that swapping engines was a new frontier for me, time and money was quickly consumed by a junkyard mill. For a good share of folks, that might have been a parts car candidate!

All told, now that I'm out of the weather that would give you hypothermia while doing a manual wash and back to being able to do anything substantial after some sinus surgery, the Pearly will be on the continuing road forward from what may well be its lowest point since the engine failed.

I won't promise fresh paint for Reading XII, but it'll arrive without the impression that it was a $750 basket case that happens to be able to roll under its own power.

svxistentialist 04-18-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 643224)
As one who quickly came to realize that Reading isn't about the cars but rather about the great people here. I came away from this years Reading simply horrified by the condition of nearly 1/2 of the cars at Reading. As the car ages it i showing that there is definately a lack of "pride of ownership" among some of the cars there. It was more like a trip to a parts car section of a car meet then anything else.

Of course there were plenty of very nice solid examples there to but the cars quickly went down hill from there. As one who enjoys the build of a project car more than buying a shiney example that you know nothing about I truely hope that these cars are mearly "works in progress" and that next year I will see a marked improvement in many of them. Otherwise, I fear that I won't stick around beyond visiting with some of the many friends I've come to know through the SVX. It is simply not enjoyable to sit by watching the rapidly declining overall condition of the average SVX. Yes I realize that values do not justify the cost of a proper restoration on a 18 year old SVX but pride of ownership should justify it provided it is a car worthy of a restoration. Remember, any restoration is a money loser for the owner. It is simply the owners desire to keep the mark alive (and usually a very understanding better half) :D which results in a proper restoration not finaical incentives which will likely never come.

I'm not saying any of this to judge any of the owners in attendance as I do realize that everyone is in different situations and had different priorities but rather as an observation of the rapid decline of many cars.

That said it was great to see everyone and meet some of the newer members in attendence. Lets just see what everyone can do to make next years reading a little better and little more lets say "polished".

Definitely gone British Ben. :p

I would say the majority of people who drove their cars there came a long distance. By the looks of things the weather was anti social. After one of the worst winters on record for many locations!

Pride for most of these people is pride in driving there, meeting their friends, pride in driving home and then many using their cars as a daily transport. It's more than a little harsh to say the cars in attendance were not polished to a certain level showing pride of ownership.

BTW, a TVR owner I met in England reckoned that most people thought TVRs were very low to the ground and sporty looking. He reckoned that in their normal and natural environment on the back of a flat bed transporter they were very tall cars, really.

Joe :rolleyes:

benebob 04-18-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 643309)
Definitely gone British Ben. :p

I would say the majority of people who drove their cars there came a long distance. By the looks of things the weather was anti social. After one of the worst winters on record for many locations!

Pride for most of these people is pride in driving there, meeting their friends, pride in driving home and then many using their cars as a daily transport. It's more than a little harsh to say the cars in attendance were not polished to a certain level showing pride of ownership.

BTW, a TVR owner I met in England reckoned that most people thought TVRs were very low to the ground and sporty looking. He reckoned that in their normal and natural environment on the back of a flat bed transporter they were very tall cars, really.

Joe :rolleyes:

Actually, the average distance driven has definately gone down. It wasn't so much of a lack of cleanliness or polish but rather countless cars that I couldn't even talk my inspection guy into stickering and yes he stickered my TVR when it barely moved under its own power. Many of these cars were in the exact same state of disrepair as last year. As Mike said it isn't so much a cut on anyone there but rather the sad realization of how quickly the herd is thinning.

Yeah the TVR does fit nicely on top of a flat bed. It isn't the easiest thing to get there though. Quite a few got to take it for a spin, only hiccup was a certain Tom forgetting to turn the radiator fan on but not being to worried as it neared 140 degrees. He didn't realize it was celcius.:D Maybe he can change that out when he puts a 302 in it this fall. You know I do try to get cars down to a managable weight.;)

Crazy_pilot 04-18-2010 06:51 PM

I will be the first to admit that my car isn't a showpiece. The fenders are rusting in the corners and I have a little less of my quarter panels every day. However, this in now way detracts from the pride I take in owning and driving my SVX. My car is always clean (washed once a week during summer, rinsed at least twice a week in the winter), the interior is spotless, and every mechanical aspect is cared for. The fact is I'm a full time student. I don't have the income to shell out several thousand dollars for a full restoration of the body. It is slowly improving. I replaced the doors with rust free ones 1.5 years ago. I have new fenders at home that are awaiting paint.

There's a big difference between "pride of ownership" and a show car. Just because my car isn't the prettiest one on the road doesn't mean that I have a grain less pride in it that someone who has invested $100,000 in something.

And I look forward to attending the next Reading meet that I am able to. Currently it conflicts nicely with my school exam schedule. Hopefully I'll be there for Reading XIII.

svxistentialist 04-18-2010 07:01 PM

Not having been there I'm just defending my friends. ;)

The point about TVRs is not that they are bad cars, they are not actually built to German or Japanese levels of engineering, to which levels the SVX certainly is. And you shouldn't be able to talk your sticker guy into writing a certificate. By definition compliance should not be a subjective thing.

Cars in use will never be able to have the ultimate garage queen sheen. As they get older and used more they will show more wear and tear.

I personally would prefer to see them used than to see them polished. But when a nice clean garage queen sees the light, I'll slaver with the best of them. :eek:

Joe

SUBBYRU89 04-18-2010 07:07 PM

I washed my car Friday...then rain...then a tree crapped flower petals all over her...Saturday coffee drive...some petals blew off, some not...Sunday more petals blew off. The only thing that annoyed me this year was the weather, but the libations stayed cold:D

benebob 04-18-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 643314)
I will be the first to admit that my car isn't a showpiece. The fenders are rusting in the corners and I have a little less of my quarter panels every day. However, this in now way detracts from the pride I take in owning and driving my SVX. My car is always clean (washed once a week during summer, rinsed at least twice a week in the winter), the interior is spotless, and every mechanical aspect is cared for. The fact is I'm a full time student. I don't have the income to shell out several thousand dollars for a full restoration of the body. It is slowly improving. I replaced the doors with rust free ones 1.5 years ago. I have new fenders at home that are awaiting paint.

There's a big difference between "pride of ownership" and a show car. Just because my car isn't the prettiest one on the road doesn't mean that I have a grain less pride in it that someone who has invested $100,000 in something.

And I look forward to attending the next Reading meet that I am able to. Currently it conflicts nicely with my school exam schedule. Hopefully I'll be there for Reading XIII.

Did you read my posts Crazy, I'm talking about the cars which don't have doors replaced, or fenders painted or even wipers replaced even though you can see where it is starting to etch a very pricey windshield. Sure I guess you can be proud of the perfect circular line it leave but I wouldn't call that pride, I'd call it neglect.:rolleyes:

benebob 04-18-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 643315)
Not having been there I'm just defending my friends. ;)

The point about TVRs is not that they are bad cars, they are not actually built to German or Japanese levels of engineering, to which levels the SVX certainly is. And you shouldn't be able to talk your sticker guy into writing a certificate. By definition compliance should not be a subjective thing.

Cars in use will never be able to have the ultimate garage queen sheen. As they get older and used more they will show more wear and tear.

I personally would prefer to see them used than to see them polished. But when a nice clean garage queen sees the light, I'll slaver with the best of them. :eek:

Joe

I couldnt' agree with you more. I've known my inspection guy for years and he can be very understanding when you need to get a car legal so you can sort it outside of your driveway. Even had most everything working when I took it in, just lacking any emissions equipment which is only an issue the first year in PA. After that I can get an exemption based on mileage.

Having been across the pond, I'd even suspect that a full half of the cars in attendance wouldn't get through your process. My TVR included!;) When you can go to the junkyard and see better examples. The end is nearing!:( That said quite a few cars look better each year.

As for seeing them driven. That's exactly why I passed mine on. A car needs to be driven and mine wasn't. It got more miles put on it in 3 months then I did in 5 years when it left:D. I just don't drive a ton.

svxfiles 04-18-2010 07:21 PM

Ben,
when I read your post I felt that you might be speaking about my Claret:o

Someone has backed into the front bumper recently!
No note!:mad:
and the paint has cracked,
there are a few more hail dents, the grille is missing
(to save a 1/4#.:rolleyes:)
AND I did not have/TAKE the time to wash :eek:Her.

However She knows that She is loved, always gets premium, Mobile1, and BG Products ATF, and has every mod a car could want.
And then some!:rolleyes:

Life is getting away from some of us, we should try to slow down.
We should ALL take some time to wax our babies, pet our dogs/cats, and watch in wonder as our children grow....
Life is short.
Cut in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

svxfiles 04-18-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 643313)
Actually, the average distance driven has definately gone down. Bla, bla, bla, Quite a few got to take it for a spin, only hiccup was a certain Tom forgetting to turn the radiator fan on but not being to worried as it neared 140 degrees. He didn't realize it was celcius.:D Maybe he can change that out when he puts a 302 in it this fall. You know I do try to get cars down to a managable weight.;)

OK, ok, it was the Tom WITHOUT the little girlie hands!:eek:

Sorry T!:o

:lol:

Crazy_pilot 04-18-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 643318)
Did you read my posts Crazy, I'm talking about the cars which don't have doors replaced, or fenders painted or even wipers replaced even though you can see where it is starting to etch a very pricey windshield. Sure I guess you can be proud of the perfect circular line it leave but I wouldn't call that pride, I'd call it neglect.:rolleyes:

:lol: Understood. Sorry if I came across a little harshly. I've had a few people (Civic drivers, etc.) "look down" on my car because of it's condition, so I'm a little touchy about it sometimes.

I do understand what you mean though. I've worked on way too many cars that are unsanitary (to the point I refuse to touch them), falling apart, completely neglected... It frustrates me to no end.

benebob 04-19-2010 09:57 AM

Not you or yours Tom as I'd suspect that yours will be among the few hundred of running examples in 10 years. Wait, I mean you will have a handful of running examples in 10 years.

The SVX is not the type of car you can neglect and then think you're going to restore. Once its gone down that path it will cost ya dearly to get it back to respectability. After seeing the "cream of the crop" at Reading (where people who actually care about the marque go to meet) you would have to be blind not to see where the community is heading and how the number of cars is quickly dwindling. It is the overall condition of the cars rather than any single example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 643325)
Ben,
when I read your post I felt that you might be speaking about my Claret:o

Someone has backed into the front bumper recently!
No note!:mad:
and the paint has cracked,
there are a few more hail dents, the grille is missing
(to save a 1/4#.:rolleyes:)
AND I did not have/TAKE the time to wash :eek:Her.

However She knows that She is loved, always gets premium, Mobile1, and BG Products ATF, and has every mod a car could want.
Ant then some!:rolleyes:

Life is getting away from some of us, we should try to slow down.
We should ALL take some time to wax our babies, pet our dogs/cats, and watch in wonder as our children grow....
Life is short.
Cut in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

NeedForSpeed 04-19-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 643227)

How many SVX in Reading this year? 10-20 less is how many?

Also, I agree with Earl, maintenance meets are an answer :).

Nothing feels better than to fix the little stuff, and even better, to help someone else with the little stuff that otherwise would be neglected :D

To stop the downward spiral, the upward spiral needs a push.

subi-crosser 04-19-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 643313)
Actually, the average distance driven has definately gone down. It wasn't so much of a lack of cleanliness or polish but rather countless cars that I couldn't even talk my inspection guy into stickering and yes he stickered my TVR when it barely moved under its own power. Many of these cars were in the exact same state of disrepair as last year. As Mike said it isn't so much a cut on anyone there but rather the sad realization of how quickly the herd is thinning.

Yeah the TVR does fit nicely on top of a flat bed. It isn't the easiest thing to get there though. Quite a few got to take it for a spin, only hiccup was a certain Tom forgetting to turn the radiator fan on but not being to worried as it neared 140 degrees. He didn't realize it was celcius.:D Maybe he can change that out when he puts a 302 in it this fall. You know I do try to get cars down to a managable weight.;)

Without actually attending the event, I 'figured' that the numbers would be down from looking at my OWN bank book!
I used to wash my cars every week, now I'm so busy trying to replace the lost income, that the cars get washed when I can't see out the windows.
Everything I try to do costs more and takes longer! I also have a lot less 'disposable' income over the last 3 years!
I'm still working the same job, but my income from it has dropped over $12,000!
My SVX still needs the same paint it needed when I bought it, I have the paint. What I am lacking is the TIME to make it ready for paint.
Times are TOUGH!! (at least in MY world)
I'm sure that a LOT of other members are feeling the 'pinch'.
My SVX had 222K on it when I got it! I have added to the numbers, it's still kinda ugly, but I will keep working on it and playing with it till I get it back into shape. THEN I will drive it to Reading.

TomsSVX 04-19-2010 08:04 PM

I have to agree with Ben here... For the last 3-4 years my motivation to keep my cars up and to make them better has primarily been driven by this site and its members. Friendly competition drove the mods while superior examples of class and aesthetics drove the need to keep it nice.

When member devotion and will-power to do the unreasonable to keep the cars on the road and keep them in *good* shape dwindled, my efforts to do the same did as well. Primarily in the past there was a tight knit group of owners who really did do a good job of this, they have all but been vacant from the site and sparse at meets, which now are few and far between.

Maintenance meets are a nightmare... trust me. I have seen what you do at your maint. meets out west, I like it a lot. Quite frankly, a maint meet out here has always been a smash and grab attempt at cheap/free labor when the participant blew past the line of being reasonable and would *get stuck* Two very different worlds, the East and West coasts. Hell, out East when I finished a job under time people asked what took so long... When I was out west it was a shock:lol:

Either way, group attendance and moral was way down this year from last... Who in the hell thought it appropriate to have a rolling parts car in the lot? There were parts scattered around like a 2yr old's play room.

I had a good time with good people, but it was no Reading... If it cannot turn around for the better soon I feel also this may have very well been my last. People can argue that I didn't drive my SVXi there... but quite frankly, I like driving the M5 more than the SVX and I didn't really come for people to see my cars.

Tom

NeedForSpeed 04-19-2010 08:15 PM

Tom, Ben, Diana, somebody,
Change the weekend, forget the tradition,

Did anyone get a car count, how many attended? :confused::confused:

As for our 'national SVX weekend', you can add 15 cars to the Reading total, that is the number that made the SoCal meet this past weekend :).

subi-crosser 04-19-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 643514)
I have to agree with Ben here... For the last 3-4 years my motivation to keep my cars up and to make them better has primarily been driven by this site and its members. Friendly competition drove the mods while superior examples of class and aesthetics drove the need to keep it nice.

When member devotion and will-power to do the unreasonable to keep the cars on the road and keep them in *good* shape dwindled, my efforts to do the same did as well. Primarily in the past there was a tight knit group of owners who really did do a good job of this, they have all but been vacant from the site and sparse at meets, which now are few and far between.

Maintenance meets are a nightmare... trust me. I have seen what you do at your maint. meets out west, I like it a lot. Quite frankly, a maint meet out here has always been a smash and grab attempt at cheap/free labor when the participant blew past the line of being reasonable and would *get stuck* Two very different worlds, the East and West coasts. Hell, out East when I finished a job under time people asked what took so long... When I was out west it was a shock:lol:

Either way, group attendance and moral was way down this year from last... Who in the hell thought it appropriate to have a rolling parts car in the lot? There were parts scattered around like a 2yr old's play room.

I had a good time with good people, but it was no Reading... If it cannot turn around for the better soon I feel also this may have very well been my last. People can argue that I didn't drive my SVXi there... but quite frankly, I like driving the M5 more than the SVX and I didn't really come for people to see my cars.

Tom

I have 37 cars and trucks. I noticed last week, that the only car I drive that makes the cops look again is the SVX!
It has all the parts and the only thing 'different' is the primer spots everywhere.
They seem to be 'attracted' by the profile. It looks the same as it did 2 years ago when we met at the 'Pumpkin Carve'. (I Think that YOU moved the dealer tag).
I take pride in my sorry specimine. I actually knocked a LOT of dents out of it before that day!
I just 'recieved' the box of Knock Sensors the other day. I will enjoy the car a lot more once they are installed.

I just walked outside and looked at it again a few minutes ago.
It looks like it needs some 'love'. It also looks kinda like it would EAT anything that got too close!
If someone would not know that it had already covered 222K miles, they might think that it was 'rough'. MOST cars with that mileage would have been run through the 'Press' and been sent back as a new Kia!

It will be a while before it becomes 'pretty'. It WILL be the sweetest looking 222K car at Reading Next year!

green_eyed_lady 04-19-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 643508)
How many SVX in Reading this year? 10-20 less is how many?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 643520)

Did anyone get a car count, how many attended? :confused::confused:

As for our 'national SVX weekend', you can add 15 cars to the Reading total, that is the number that made the SoCal meet this past weekend :).

I believe the highest count was 32, incuding the rolling "parts car" ;)

Still not a bad turnout, considering a lot of "regulars" couldn't make it this year.

Sov13t 04-19-2010 09:03 PM

There are highs and lows... in everything.

-Sov13t.

michael 04-19-2010 09:14 PM

Guess I'll chime in. I have to agree with Subi-crosser, a lot of us are broke right now. That's my excuse for not going this year. Last year I went on the wrong weekend:tard: Yes, I'm not the most social member or active poster but don't say I'm not proud of my SVX. I don't hide it, I just can't afford to have it on the road as often as I'd like. After 130k of DD use time has also come to turn the clock backwards. If it has to sit till finances get better so be it, better than running it into the ground. That's what legacys are for :eek:

Freeman 04-19-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t (Post 643536)
There are highs and lows... in everything.

-Sov13t.

My new favorite quote..

Subix 04-19-2010 10:07 PM

I didn't have the funds or time to go this year but I would have loved to had been there. Instead, we did have ourselves a little INdy SVX meet thanks to Nate for getting that together :)

My SVX has been a WIP since I've gotten it in May of 2008, has had a few accidents (now with side rear qtr. panel damage that hasn't been repaired) and aside from the upkeep costs over the past few months, aesthetically it is not the best but it is on the way to being a much nicer beast than when I first got it! (and in the meantime, a much more reliable beast)

I'm not here complaining about the issues I've encountered or may encounter, just that keeping the thing driving alone is a chore in itself. (most probably due to lack of proper caring for by the previous owner) Battery, Alternator, PS Pump, Radiator, O2 Sensors, Coil Packs and Rims (to replace cracked one) takes a fair toll on the wallet over the course of a single year.

I think showing up to Reading alone is showing pride in ownership of these cars, especially those who travel many many miles to get to such a gathering. As far as others, they could have dropped the ever problem riddled cars or let them rot altogether but the small amount of dedicated drivers and owners here continue to strive, some more painfully than others, to keep these cars on the road. That alone says a lot.

With that said, I'm guessing by this time next year I personally will have had my paint job done, dents and dings ironed out and interior beefed up with new carpet/seats. It shall be pretty for Reading XII ;) but mostly, it'll be awesome to meet up with a ton of like minded people! :cool: