The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Prices creeping upward? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33945)

dcarrb 06-29-2006 06:21 AM

Prices creeping upward?

Of the six SVXs within 300 miles of me on Autotrader, one '92 at 70,000 miles is listed for $9000 (claret with backward rims), another '92 with no photo and 94,000 miles is tagged at $6500. There's a '97 with 80k asking eleven-four.

Then there's the usual Bondo & primer special at $1200...

Maybe values have bottomed-out and are on the upswing?

dcb

PDSides 06-29-2006 07:24 AM

Interesting observation, but I fear it to be a "last man standing" kind of thing with the few remaining low-mileage cars bringing higher prices. Simple law of supply and demand. Take Mattingly's car for instance, 28K miles, a '96 model and in pristine condition. Fifteen-grand is lots of money for an SVX, but tell me where you are going to find one in that condition at any price? Cars like the SVX tend to have a small cult following and as time (and miles) go by, they tend to separate into two distinct price groups, dirt cheap and sky high, with few between. I haven't looked lately, but somewhere out there is a high priced pristine Yugo just waiting for some Yugo-groupie to come along with the cash. I hope you are right and that prices do rise to reflect the quality and unique nature of the SVX, that combination of factors we call VALUE.
Preston

mikecg 06-29-2006 08:29 AM

I'm told there was a 94 in the local paper for $2400

Uncamitzi 06-29-2006 08:34 AM

I fear it's just the Tucker Syndrome

And there won't really be a collectors market until we are down to the last 15 -20 cars...:(

TomsSVX 06-29-2006 09:13 AM

mine will be there... No matter what

Tom

SVXRide 06-29-2006 01:01 PM

ditto
-Bill

Phast SVX 06-29-2006 01:20 PM

i think you can plan on atleast 100 of us keeping our cars come hell or high water.

Earthworm 06-29-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phast SVX
i think you can plan on atleast 100 of us keeping our cars come hell or high water.

And plan on one of us keeping at least 100 cars come hell or high water :p :D

GreenMarine 06-29-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phast SVX

I'm one of them :D:D

lhopp77 06-29-2006 04:38 PM

Hard To Judge

It is hard to judge prices and values by looking at newspaper ads or AutoTrader as those are asking prices and not selling. The only real measure we seem to have is Ebay and those selling prices appear to be slightly down from my observation. Of course that is a little difficult to measure also because most of the cars lately have had some problems.

I do agree that low mileage cars will tend to at least hold their own if not go up.

Lee

shotgunslade 06-29-2006 05:28 PM

But, does it really matter, a few hundred or maybe even a thousand dollars more in dollar value. So, you could sell your 94 with 90,000 miles and buy a five year old Honda Accord also with 90,000 miles. I have maybe $16,000 in mine, including purchase price, 5MT, coil-overs, brakes, Stage 2v5, exhaust, etc., and 87,000 miles. I figure it has be $20,000 worth of fun, at least, probably more. So, I don't really care if it is worth $5,000 or $15,000, it's mine, and I'm driving it until it dies or I do.

Earthworm 06-29-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade
But, does it really matter

It DOES matter if for some reason something happens to your car and your insurance company only wants to give you $500 for it.

I agree though that I'll never sell mine while still in running condition!

The Goat 06-29-2006 07:56 PM

In all sincerity, I feel that the eventual collectible market will come from Japan.

SomethingElse 06-29-2006 08:29 PM

My kids will make out when they liquidate both of my svx after I take a dirt nap. Just imagine how hard it will be to get one in 30-40 years. Think im gonna start stocking up...:D

lhopp77 06-29-2006 08:32 PM

Stock Up???

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse
My kids will make out when they liquidate both of my svx after I take a dirt nap. Just imagine how hard it will be to get one in 30-40 years. Think im gonna start stocking up...:D

Now just why would anyone in their right mind "stock up" on these cars???? :rolleyes: :eek: :D :p ;)

Lee

Tony117s 06-29-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
It DOES matter if for some reason something happens to your car and your insurance company only wants to give you $500 for it.

I agree though that I'll never sell mine while still in running condition!

very true my svx was considered totalled by insurance 2 weeks ago and now i had to pay 7k of my own money because an idiot rear ended me. But on the plus side i'm getting her back tomorrow and she has a new paint job.

dcarrb 06-30-2006 06:32 AM

I didn't mean to suggest that the SVX has become an overnight collectible. Still, I'd like to know what (if anything) informed those folks to set the prices I cited. With cars like these at this point in time, the only true measure of a particular example's worth is how much its owner is willing to spend to keep it in decent shape.

Ebay? I don't know. Browsing there, I get the sense that it's the liquidation venue of last resort, so it seems unlikely that what how far someone's willing to go out on a limb there is a fair reflection of market value.

dcb

SVXer95 06-30-2006 06:51 AM

I believe that the only way the SVX will become more valuable is if we, the SVX following, are willing to pay higher prices. As long as the people that buy an SVX do not have the funds to invest, the prices will stay low.

ensteele 06-30-2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77
Now just why would anyone in their right mind "stock up" on these cars???? :rolleyes: :eek: :D :p ;)

Lee

:rolleyes: :) :) :D

JeffN 06-30-2006 08:00 PM

We got our 97 in 04 for 8500. w/ 36k on it.

We got 11k+ from insurance(totaled) and can't replace it for that....sounds like the low milers are evaluating.

dcarrb 09-14-2006 11:59 AM

The "Taxable Value" of each of my cars as shown on the registration documents: $660. Surely the state figures a percentage of market value for tax purposes, but I wonder how they determine that value.

dcb

Bailey 09-15-2006 05:52 AM

insurance

If the cars aren't valued highly by ins companies, is it wise to carry full physical damage coverage on them? just wondering.
I am an SVX newbie, recently got an LSi ('94 very good condition) for our daughter who is in college. She took out full comp and collision coverage on her car. Maybe this is a dumb question, but these cars are an undervalued anomaly.

dcarrb 09-15-2006 07:27 AM

I carry full coverage on the teal (it's in better condition and on the road more), but not the silver, and I'm getting a "pleasure use only" break on the latter, so long as I keep it below 8000 miles per year. Is paying for full coverage on a '92 a wise expenditure? Probably not.

dcb

Speedklix 09-15-2006 07:32 AM

I have noticed prices are a little bit higher than ussual too.

But I married my SVX too :o ;)

pipedream 09-15-2006 10:45 AM

interesting that this was posted up- i actually made the same observation recently when i was looking at svx's randomly online. I saw a 92 online- i think ebay, that was going for like 9k (and I think it actually had a bid on it), im pretty sure it only had a bit fewer miles than my '92 (which is at like 160k).

considering I bought my '92 in what i would consider 'just below pristine' condition for 3,700 (talked the woman down from 4,500) wth 140k miles on it... this was a little over a year ago, 9k seems like a lot to ask.

keep those cars in shape boys.

dcarrb 09-15-2006 11:10 AM

Someone posted within the past week or so of snagging a '92 with 200K+ for $800. Eight hundred dollars? The windshield alone's worth that, for cryin' out loud. A full complement of bleepin' lug nuts for the thing runs more than $160.

Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose, but it's hard to imagine how these cars could get much cheaper. (Not that I care, 'cos I intend to wring many more miles out of mine.)

dcb

TomsSVX 09-15-2006 12:32 PM

I bought my Teal for $600. 120k on the clock with a dead tranny. Put it an new trans I had laying around and made a great daily driver for less than $1000. My silver though... that car will never be sold for any amount under 20k

Tom

GOT2HAVESVX 09-15-2006 02:06 PM

keep those cars in shape boys.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen a boy with ......nevermind, I will just keep mine in shape! Im used to being one of the guys, I am the purchasing manager at a machine shop with 20 "boys"! But I got the fastest car there! *Scott I hope your reading this!*

shelfy 09-16-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
The "Taxable Value" of each of my cars as shown on the registration documents: $660. Surely the state figures a percentage of market value for tax purposes, but I wonder how they determine that value.

dcb

in colorado, it's exactly 85% of original msrp.

Bailey 09-16-2006 10:37 AM

saw '95 SVX asking price $35,000 on cars.com today

there is an ad on cars.com today for '95 with only 12,000 miles on it. Asking price is $35,000 or best offer.

shelfy 09-16-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey
there is an ad on cars.com today for '95 with only 12,000 miles on it. Asking price is $35,000 or best offer.

wow! i was only thinking about $28k for mine ($29k for JeffN). :D

Ron Mummert 09-16-2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey

OK with me. Seems I can "ask" 100K for my semi-mint '92 & wait for Donnie Trump to beg to do the deal. Supply & demand will ultimately rule.;)

Ron.

pipedream 09-19-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOT2HAVESVX
keep those cars in shape boys.

Have you ever seen a boy with ......nevermind, I will just keep mine in shape! Im used to being one of the guys, I am the purchasing manager at a machine shop with 20 "boys"! But I got the fastest car there! *Scott I hope your reading this!*[/QUOTE]

haha. sorry for the sexism audrey. ;)

KEEP THOSE CARS IN SHAPE FOLKS!

GOT2HAVESVX 09-19-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipedream
Have you ever seen a boy with ......nevermind, I will just keep mine in shape! Im used to being one of the guys, I am the purchasing manager at a machine shop with 20 "boys"! But I got the fastest car there! *Scott I hope your reading this!*

haha. sorry for the sexism audrey. ;)

KEEP THOSE CARS IN SHAPE FOLKS![/QUOTE]

LMAO, no apologies necessary! I was wondering if anyone would catch that! (or just ignore it thinking I was being a B) I wasnt though, I realize most women dont like to work on cars but I like football too so.......;)

STORMINORMAN 09-20-2006 01:13 PM

If you wish to make the effort...

...many (if not "most") insurance carriers will allow you to insure your car at a "stated" (or otherwise "determined") $ valuation. This general statement does not take into consideration factors based upon the specific insurance laws in each state: for example...

In Oregon I can have comprehensive insurance in force on all my cars/trucks/motorcycles year-round. I can have any (or all) of them "on the road" with the required liability, medical, uninsured motorist, etc. coverages for as little as a month at a time, as long as it is at least 30 days since I last took them "off the road". I can have collision on them or not. Have a deductible, or not. I do not have to "surrender the plates" on a vehicle when I don't have liability insurance in effect like in some states, I just can't (not supposed to) drive it that way... Plates go with the car: we don't have a sales tax, either.

This means I can insure & use my SuperCab Ford & camper as I choose, mostly in the warmer months: I can have the SVX available everyday or a month at a time: I can ride one or both of my motorcycles (but it is very hard to ride them both simultaniously!) or "turn off" the insurance if we are going to be out of town or out of the country. Back to the subject...

Often you have to provide some kind of documentation as to the desireability or collectability of the vehicle type or model in general, and details re: your specific vehicle in particular. This can range from an appraisal, photos, repair and modification bills, etc.

Remember that two considerations are generally used to determine what the insurance company is going to charge you for coverage: you & the vehicle. If you have a good driving record & fit into the correct underwriting scenerio, insurance can be very reasonable: this includes where you live, age, previous claim history, years with the same company, etc.

As far as the vehicle is concerned they are basically looking at two concepts: what is the repair history, theft history of that kind/type of vehicle, in general, and what is the "value" of the vehicle as it relates to their exposure. More speeding tickets involving "sports" cars than vans? Maybe. Corvettes can go 175+ mph. Many older 86 hp Honda CRX's were notorious for being rated as "sports" cars because they only had 2 seats. An '80's CiviC Si had more hp, but seats for 4 (5?) and was rated as an economy car.

Value can be (usually is) the "book value" of that year, make and mileage car. Remember that "book value" presupposes that the vehicle in question is in "average" shape or condition, hense the "rub". They are very willing to make sure you pay rates (and they pay claims for repairs or establish a "totalled" $ figure) based upon the average value but by its very definition "average" means some are in worse condition and some are in much better condition than "average".

Simply put, when they (and YOU!) know what they are going to charge you per $1,000 of value, a premium based upon either their definition of book value or a policy based upon the agreed value of the vehicle only differs in the amount of their $ expo$ure. This is only with a few exceptions, by the way.

It doesn't really make any difference if you total a new $10K Hyundai, a used Cadillac worth $10K "book value", or an SVX that you are paying a premium based upon it having a stated value which happens to be $10K. Their max exposure is $10k. There may be some varience in the above example but it shouldn't be much.

It can be done, the better your driving record, the longer you have been with the company, the better it can be to take this route.

It is somewhat akin to the concept of "location" in real estate.

Cheers!:cool:

Speedklix 09-20-2006 09:28 PM

did anyone else just look at the post above and say "I can't read that!?" :eek: :confused: :p

I guess I've done too much reading today;)