The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Procedure for applying ultan film pieces? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49814)

Green1995SVX 04-10-2009 10:18 AM

Procedure for applying ultan film pieces?

I have to apply new Ultan film pieces to my lower garnishes. I purchased the pieces from subaru, but I can't find the procedure for the application anywhere in the service manual.

Is there a certain way that this is done?

Thanks!

Green1995SVX 04-10-2009 11:28 AM

Re: Procedure for applying ultan film pieces?

I got impatient and did it myself. They came out perfect. Here's what I did:

* Mixed solution of about 1 tbsp of Johnson's Baby Shampoo with a full spray bottle of water.

* soaked the car with the solution.

* applied the ultan film piece and positioned to the correct place

* used a bondo knife to squeegee out the solution

* used a heat-gun to get the remaining air bubbles out

It was very easy and the pieces didn't require any forming. They must be pre-formed from the factory.

It took me about 30 mins to do both sides. :)

Mike

alltrac 04-10-2009 12:20 PM

I have never heard of Ultan I thought Subaru contracted with 3M for stone guard film.

Mike621 04-10-2009 12:30 PM

When I get around to ordering a set for my Claret, I'll keep this in mind!

Thanks! :)

Green1995SVX 04-10-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 596391)
When I get around to ordering a set for my Claret, I'll keep this in mind!

Thanks! :)

Mike-

I was told that I got the last set in the country. Hopefully there are more in Japan. :(

Green1995SVX 04-10-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alltrac (Post 596389)
I have never heard of Ultan I thought Subaru contracted with 3M for stone guard film.

I've never heard of "ultan" and even a google search comes up empty. That's what Subaru calls it, though. It's a much higher quality product than 3M films that I've used, and I used to work in that business. :) I was very impressed with how well they went on.

Mike

redlightningsvx 04-10-2009 03:38 PM

There's a good bit of those left and they're about $30-40 a side.

Earthworm 04-10-2009 05:59 PM

If you can't locate any (or if they are too expensive) you can always get a sign shop to make ones for you. They can trace and cut one to match in about 3 minutes.

oldss72 04-11-2009 10:09 AM

what are these, I have never heard of them, is it the same color as the car?
Do you have any pics?
Joe

NoSVX 04-11-2009 10:24 AM

it's more like a clear vinyl, thicker than a normal vinyl sticker, also instead of a heat gun, whick has a tendency to stretch vinyl products leaving it in the sun for a day will get rid of the bubbles as well.

Manarius 04-11-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldss72 (Post 596546)
Do you have any pics?
Joe

I think he means the sticker next to the wheel:
http://discens.org/gallery2/main.php...serialNumber=1

Green1995SVX 04-11-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSVX (Post 596547)
it's more like a clear vinyl, thicker than a normal vinyl sticker, also instead of a heat gun, whick has a tendency to stretch vinyl products leaving it in the sun for a day will get rid of the bubbles as well.

Sun? What is that? Unfortunately we get very little sun here, so I had to accelerate the process. I used the heat gun on a low setting and only pointed it at the piece for a few seconds at a time. :)

kwren 04-11-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 596548)
I think he means the sticker next to the wheel:
http://discens.org/gallery2/main.php...serialNumber=1

What wheel?

Manarius 04-11-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 596554)
What wheel?

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8...n0829small.jpg
The sticker is circled.

alltrac 04-12-2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldss72 (Post 596546)
Do you have any pics?
Joe

It's a clear stone guard for paint protection.

Green1995SVX 04-12-2009 09:50 AM

Just to add-

They're VERY important. I received 2 stone chips that these would have protected me from in only about 100 miles of driving.

Mike

subeman90 04-12-2009 10:10 AM

Per the pic of Manarius's car: I understand how important these are but wouldn't it be in our best interest if there was more coverage then just in that one spot? I would think it would be a good idea to have some custom made ones for behind the front wheel and behind the rear wheel too. The guys with the high $$$ paint jobs (Mike x2) would want more protection then just that little spot. VW used to to the same thing for the Beetles back in the day in that same spot too.

Basically what I am saying is that I would hate to see an SVX with mudflaps :lol: but I think you need to protect your paint a little more then just that one spot. My Baja and the Corolla have mudflaps for this very reason...my SVX on the other hand...well I'm thinking of naming him "Chip" :lol:

Green1995SVX 04-12-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 596686)
Per the pic of Manarius's car: I understand how important these are but wouldn't it be in our best interest if there was more coverage then just in that one spot? I would think it would be a good idea to have some custom made ones for behind the front wheel and behind the rear wheel too. The guys with the high $$$ paint jobs (Mike x2) would want more protection then just that little spot. VW used to to the same thing for the Beetles back in the day in that same spot too.

Basically what I am saying is that I would hate to see an SVX with mudflaps :lol: but I think you need to protect your paint a little more then just that one spot. My Baja and the Corolla have mudflaps for this very reason...my SVX on the other hand...well I'm thinking of naming him "Chip" :lol:

I agree with you. During my 3 year SVX intermission, I owned a Porsche that had these pieces in front of and behind all of the wheels. It sure seems like it was a good idea.