The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START! starter relay (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51840)

Hocrest 04-12-2012 10:47 PM

Re: NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START! starter relay

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 702133)
"I'm getting nothing out to the starter when I turn the key.".
It is the small wire to the solenoid that has nothng?

Yes, the small wire has nothing when i turn the key. I've tried a trouble light and a voltage meter, nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 702133)
The sequence is, the key, security relay, Inhibitor switch on the box, starter solenoid.
Don't forget to try it in N, it case the P has a problem.

I've tried in P and N, and the dash indicator lights are accurate, but I think the contacts for the indicator lights are different than the contacts for the safety switch, so I'll jump it and see if that let's it crank. If so, I'll either replace the indicator switch or just jump it...

oab_au 04-12-2012 11:29 PM

If you get no voltage at all, it must have an open circuit some where.
It would not matter how dirty or bad the contacts get, it would show some voltage.
Something unplgged?

Harvey.

Hocrest 04-13-2012 12:34 PM

OK, that was a lot of wasted effort for a simple fix. The 12 pin connector from the shift indicator was together, but not tightly. So some pins were making contact, but the vital ones didn't.

Yeah well, now she has a new relay and key switch, so it should be trouble free starting for a while.

oab_au 04-13-2012 04:20 PM

Easy one Dave.:D

Harvey.

jellybytes2 08-31-2012 11:05 PM

So I'm hoping this is my problem. My SVX is sitting in a parking lot a few miles from home. Stopped there for two minutes to buy some soda. When I got back there was no start. Cigarettle lighter voltage meter read okm but tried a jump just in case. Still no good. Tried looking fo the relay but couldn't find it, made miyself too dizzy hanging upsdie down, but maybe I'll have better luck in the morning. There is a NAPA store a block away. I'm hoping they have the relay.

or.. my SVX is telling me it doesn't want to go to Pocono tomorrow

Sean486 09-01-2012 04:55 AM

Jelly,
Did you check for corrosion on the battery terminal? Mine left me stranded last year, wouldn't even stay running when jumped. After cleaning the corrosion off the terminal it started right up and ran fine.

Chuckls 09-01-2012 05:16 AM

I need to do this

lhopp77 09-01-2012 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybytes2 (Post 710879)
Tried looking fo the relay but couldn't find it, made miyself too dizzy hanging upsdie down, but maybe I'll have better luck in the morning. There is a NAPA store a block away. I'm hoping they have the relay.

or.. my SVX is telling me it doesn't want to go to Pocono tomorrow

Located here. Secured with a single bolt that you should only have to loosen to get the relay out.

jellybytes2 09-01-2012 05:32 PM

Found the relay finally. Problem is with my blood pressure the underside of the dash looks nothing like the pictures. It's all swirly black with white spots under there. Napa/tunnesens had the relay but it was a no go. Fortunately it turned out to be th starter. With the remote start system I feared having to work through that wiring mess. Picked a starter up from auto zone let my mechanic swap it and I'm good to go... Except now the chwck engine light is on with an O2 sensor code. Mutter. As least I should be able to do the track day tomorrow.

Hocrest 09-01-2012 07:05 PM

The left o2 Sensor wiring runs down right by the starter. He possibly bumped the connector and it came undone?

jellybytes2 09-02-2012 01:57 PM

P0147 O2sensor heater circuit Bank 1 sensor 3 - which one is that?

/nm

torxxx 09-05-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybytes2 (Post 710925)
Found the relay finally. Problem is with my blood pressure the underside of the dash looks nothing like the pictures. It's all swirly black with white spots under there. Napa/tunnesens had the relay but it was a no go. Fortunately it turned out to be th starter. With the remote start system I feared having to work through that wiring mess. Picked a starter up from auto zone let my mechanic swap it and I'm good to go... Except now the chwck engine light is on with an O2 sensor code. Mutter. As least I should be able to do the track day tomorrow.

My starter has the same issue.. Too cheap to replace mine, so i just click click click click click til the sol engages lol.

I tried the relay first, and it was a no go.

Chuckls 09-05-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torxxx (Post 711103)
so i just click click click click click til the sol engages lol.

Yep! It's semi-embarassing in public, but when people stare at me, I give them the "One sec" sign, and when it catches finally..I wink at'em and leave.

The females love it ;)

dcarrb 09-06-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

My starter has the same issue.. Too cheap to replace mine, so i just click click click click click til the sol engages lol

Be sure your battery is in good shape and fully charged, with clean and solid connections, and switch off lights and accessories, climate control, even the CD player, before you turn the key. Works for me (almost) every time.

dcb

oab_au 09-06-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

My starter has the same issue.. Too cheap to replace mine, so i just click click click click click til the sol engages lol.

I tried the relay first, and it was a no go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckls (Post 711115)
Yep! It's semi-embarassing in public, but when people stare at me, I give them the "One sec" sign, and when it catches finally..I wink at'em and leave.

The females love it ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 711141)
Be sure your battery is in good shape and fully charged, with clean and solid connections, and switch off lights and accessories, climate control, even the CD player, before you turn the key. Works for me (almost) every time.

dcb

If you have replaced the Security relay and still have the problem, then do fit the Bosch relay to the starter solenoid. Simple and affective.:)

http://svxworldforums.com/view_post.php?post_id=35308

Harvey.