The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   $36 Replacement ignition coils? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59550)

icingdeath88 04-15-2012 05:22 PM

Re: $36 Replacement ignition coils?

I am really wishing I had paid more attention in the electrical part of physics class.

What I have gathered from talking with Matt is that you can just put 6 ignitor thingies inside the Megasquirt itself. Also, the LS2 coils have ignitors built in that match them, so using those particular coils with the Megasquirt might be a good idea, just for simplicity's sake.

SMC, I have the megasquirt stuff about 75% figured out. Would you be interested in trying it too? You are going to be needing some kind of engine management anyway.

smc 04-15-2012 05:31 PM

I was looking in depth into the hydra systems, as I plan on running a few different stages of ignition. The latest version of Hydra has provisions in the programming for launch control and a few different levels of antilag.

Currently, Im looking as MSD coils with a 0.680 ohm and 0.700 ohm primary resistance. Hmm.

icingdeath88 04-15-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smc (Post 702310)
I was looking in depth into the hydra systems, as I plan on running a few different stages of ignition. The latest version of Hydra has provisions in the programming for launch control and a few different levels of antilag.

Currently, Im looking as MSD coils with a 0.680 ohm and 0.700 ohm primary resistance. Hmm.

MS3 can do launch control: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/launch.html

I was thinking to get a hydra, but an MS3 would be around $1k cheaper. Means more money to go to hardware. But the hydra would definitely be easier.

You mean MSD ignition?

smc 04-15-2012 08:24 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8226/

Wow. MS has come a long way over the years! Ill start doing some digging on it.

ShiuludeSVX 07-30-2012 08:42 PM

Bump... Any new information about these items?

smc 07-30-2012 08:51 PM

With the stock ecu, the new coils are working like a champ. Zero issues as of yet. Ive put over 6,000 miles on them. And most of that was 'spirited' driving including a few autocross events and one open track day with the scca. Fine from idle to the rev limiter.

ShiuludeSVX 07-31-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smc (Post 709108)
With the stock ecu, the new coils are working like a champ. Zero issues as of yet. Ive put over 6,000 miles on them. And most of that was 'spirited' driving including a few autocross events and one open track day with the scca. Fine from idle to the rev limiter.

Thanks for the update. I needed to make sure of this before making the change

BackWoodsBob 09-26-2012 11:12 PM

So Mr. Harvey, what would be the risk of running these coils long-term on the stock ecu with no modifications to the timing at all?

ShiuludeSVX 10-15-2012 08:46 PM

Plug Wires for this setup

3 Attachment(s)
Tried to fit several things to the inlets, but came up with this.

The wire set can be shortened, if you like, and if you have the detail talent.
As they are, there is no greater difficulty, then re-inserting the original "Coil on Plug" configuration.

Can someone explain how to inline the pictures, instead of attaching.
Thanks

Crazy_pilot 10-15-2012 09:05 PM

Re: Plug Wires for this setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX (Post 713786)
Can someone explain how to inline the pictures, instead of attaching.

You need to first host them somewhere (The photo post function here, photobucket, facebook, etc), copy the URL of the picture (in Internet Explorer right click on the image and go to properties), and then paste that URL into your post here with [IMG] in front and [/IMG] at the end.

Example: [IMG]picture.address[/IMG]

icingdeath88 10-15-2012 10:14 PM

Re: Plug Wires for this setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 713790)
You need to first host them somewhere (The photo post function here, photobucket, facebook, etc), copy the URL of the picture (in Internet Explorer right click on the image and go to properties), and then paste that URL into your post here with [IMG] in front and [/IMG] at the end.

Example: [IMG]picture.address[/IMG]

It works well with pics uploaded to this site, if you copy the link URLs after you have uploaded them using the "manage attachments" menu and put them between [img] tags.

ShiuludeSVX 10-15-2012 10:57 PM

Thanks for the help. I jumped in and did all 6 coils and it has cleared up my rough engine. So, for the full price of 1 new Coil on Plug, I got a full set of this option. Yahhhh

92 SVX 10-18-2012 10:38 AM

considering how far down that spark plug is how difficult was it to connect a normal spark plug wire to the plug?

ShiuludeSVX 10-18-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92 SVX (Post 714027)
considering how far down that spark plug is how difficult was it to connect a normal spark plug wire to the plug?

The set that I got worked perfectly. Things got a bit tight at the #6 plug, but it is no harder than the regular coil on plug routine.
Trying to get a regular wire on it is pretty hard, being that it's hard to feel the "click" when it's locked in place, and chasing that far in, to get ON the plug.

bishop 11-06-2012 01:53 AM

Any updates on this? I think my car may be having rough idle because of a weak coil and im doing everything i can before putting money in to a new replacement coil.