The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   European Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   m.p.g (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15828)

Sonar 01-29-2004 08:37 AM

So, none that you guys know about has gone faster that 150mph ?

If I post, say 151mph , then the "record" is mine ? :p

I honestly having a hard time to believe that ....:rolleyes:
because I'll promise you that, I probably get 151mph with a slight overrev on the 3:rd (7000rpm?) .... !!

Could it depend on gas/air as someone suggested, or ... ?

b3lha 01-29-2004 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by crow_road75
Wouldn't you need 'WR' rated tyres for that kind of speed?

AFAIK, no one makes 'WR' rated - 225/50/16 tyres, only 'Z' rated - up to 150 mph. I don't even think you can get P-Zeros for our standard wheels?
--

I thought "V" was rated for 150 and "W" for 180.

225/50-16 are available in both ratings.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/

Phil.

Earthworm 01-29-2004 03:02 PM

Interesting with the 230kpm 3-4 shift. Is that also with 3.7:1 gearing? Mine would shift 3-4 at 200kph with the shifter in 4th and would force the shift at 210kph if I left the shifter in 3rd.

Sonar 01-29-2004 03:17 PM

What is the rpm when your SVX "force" shifts ?

Mine is at approx. 7000rpm.

Sonar 01-29-2004 03:32 PM

Because of my confusion regarding the readout as stated before, the 230km/h was speedo readout, and if you calculate you can see that it is approx 3% to high compared to the GPS, that means a "true" speed of 223km/h.

But, I will test that tomorrow when I'm going home.
Probably the best way to check it is to "lock" the 3:rd and floor it, and see when 4:th comes in.

One thing is worrying, theese speeds seems to kill winter tires in that way that the cord brakes... :(

So, maybe I reconsider .... :D

Earthworm 01-29-2004 05:15 PM

Not sure the exact RPM but definately somewhere between 6500 and 7000

m.messenger 01-30-2004 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sonar
Because of my confusion regarding the readout as stated before, the 230km/h was speedo readout, and if you calculate you can see that it is approx 3% to high compared to the GPS, that means a "true" speed of 223km/h.

But, I will test that tomorrow when I'm going home.
Probably the best way to check it is to "lock" the 3:rd and floor it, and see when 4:th comes in.

One thing is worrying, theese speeds seems to kill winter tires in that way that the cord brakes... :(

So, maybe I reconsider .... :D

more things for those poor elks to worry about - if the subsonic car doesn't get them, there's always chunks of rubber shrapnel whizzing into the woods.

svxistentialist 01-30-2004 02:03 AM

Sonar is a little bit watery a name for a true Road Warrior.

I think we will rename him Sonic Boom, or maybe Sonic the Hedgehog Killer.

:p :D :D

svxistentialist 01-30-2004 02:23 AM

Manual manipulation

Way back in the thread I mentioned that MANU does not work in D, [4] range, and that if so, the POWER shiftmap might function in D while MANU was lit. Did some testing, and perhaps a few of you could verify if your version acts the same.

It does not allow POWER in D. In fact, it acts quite a bit like I would expect ECON to work. Because MANU is switched on, the POWER map is not accessible as they are mutually exclusive in the TCU software.

What it does do is rather interesting. As mentioned, it ignores or locks out 1. Select 1, it will start in 2 and stay there. Select 2, it will start in 2, and stay there [other than over-rev failsafe] Select 3, it starts briefly in 2, shifts up to 3 and stays there. This is the interesting bit. Hard acceleration in 3 only produces lots of use of the torque convertor in 3 range, it will not give you kickdown to 2.

It gets more interesting. With MANU on and D selected, it starts in 2 as before, shifts up quickly and smoothly to 3, and then again quickly and smoothly up to 4 provided the ATF temperature is high enough. But it functions in 4 more like the ECON or NORMAL mode. For passing, it will give you kickdown to 3 if booted hard enough. 2 is not accessible [unless you shift the lever, obviously]

I am going to try it in this mode for a few weeks, see if the economy improves significantly. I normally use POWER, but the changes are more jerky, and the box a bit more manic if you lift power off approaching a bend. It drives serenely smoothly in MANU, so economy must improve.

Can anyone confirm the above, particularly the kickdown availability?

Joe:)

m.messenger 01-30-2004 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Sonar is a little bit watery a name for a true Road Warrior.

I think we will rename him Sonic Boom, or maybe Sonic the Hedgehog Killer.

:p :D :D

Currently SUPERSONIC seems to fit the bill , or 'The Nightmare on Elk Street'

svxistentialist 01-30-2004 05:20 AM

SuperSonic then.

:D :D

Sonar 01-30-2004 03:08 PM

Re: Manual manipulation

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Way back in the thread I mentioned that MANU does not work in D, [4] range, and that if so, the POWER shiftmap might function in D while MANU was lit. Did some testing, and perhaps a few of you could verify if your version acts the same.

It does not allow POWER in D. In fact, it acts quite a bit like I would expect ECON to work. Because MANU is switched on, the POWER map is not accessible as they are mutually exclusive in the TCU software.

What it does do is rather interesting. As mentioned, it ignores or locks out 1. Select 1, it will start in 2 and stay there. Select 2, it will start in 2, and stay there [other than over-rev failsafe] Select 3, it starts briefly in 2, shifts up to 3 and stays there. This is the interesting bit. Hard acceleration in 3 only produces lots of use of the torque convertor in 3 range, it will not give you kickdown to 2.

It gets more interesting. With MANU on and D selected, it starts in 2 as before, shifts up quickly and smoothly to 3, and then again quickly and smoothly up to 4 provided the ATF temperature is high enough. But it functions in 4 more like the ECON or NORMAL mode. For passing, it will give you kickdown to 3 if booted hard enough. 2 is not accessible [unless you shift the lever, obviously]

I am going to try it in this mode for a few weeks, see if the economy improves significantly. I normally use POWER, but the changes are more jerky, and the box a bit more manic if you lift power off approaching a bend. It drives serenely smoothly in MANU, so economy must improve.

Can anyone confirm the above, particularly the kickdown availability?

Joe:)

Thanx for my cool nickname :) :cool:

But.....on my 400km way home this afternoon I checked the behaviour of the mysterios "Manual" button, and tried the "Econ" + "Manual" mode as described by you.

I DO HAVE kickdown in both "D" AND "3" !!
If I drive in "D" it kicks to 3:rd when I really floor it, and if I drive on "3" and floor it, it kicks to 2:nd !! , but I am not sure if you had BOTH "Manual" AND "Econ" engaged, or just "Maunal" , please clearify that.

PS. Have anyone figured out my "callsign" yet ? :cool:

/Sonny

Sonar 01-30-2004 03:31 PM

Joe, I was wondering on my way home.....could this theory be true:
When I had the highest topspeed reading, was when my friend was slipstreaming me with his Porsche 911, in two or three other occasions the readind was approx. 10km/h lower, could it be so that BOTH cars have benefit of such a slipstreming?

My theory is based on that fact that a car has two air-related things to deal with, one is in the "front" , wedging the air with the sum of frontarea*cw , and the other is the "vacuum" cone and turbulence BEHIND the car..... Suppose now that someone "takes ower" that rear force from you (the car behind) , the result is that instead of 2 cars with 4 forces to deal with its 2 cars with only two forces......it would result in a higher speed for BOTH cars..!

I'm I totally lost in space...or...???

/Sonny :confused:

Sonar 01-30-2004 03:36 PM

Damn...I now re-read your post and understand that you only had "Manual" selected.....I had both "Manual" AND "Econ" ...

I have problem with this English foreign language ;)

Ok, I'll try again tomorrow :)

BTW, I checked my rpm / speed readings, 140km/h is exactly 3000rpm

Earthworm 01-30-2004 03:36 PM

Makes sense to me.