The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The new "Saab-aru" is in! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18881)

NeedForSpeed 05-27-2004 02:04 PM

$$

Quote:

Originally posted by Sonar
The way I understood it, the 9-2X is for US market only, and is not available in Sweden nor in rest of europe either, this is because the rebadge method is "more common and accepted" in the US market ... :eek:

It's just too expensive to send those Japanese built cars to the North Pole! [And the Euros don't want a Japanese Saab

/Sonny :cool:

nordique14 05-27-2004 02:49 PM

Re: $$

They did it for the money? Say it ain't so! That ruins my perception of corporate america. I thought they did it love, not money. :rolleyes:

dcarrb 05-28-2004 07:21 AM

Say it ain't so...

As I've suggested here before, when finally there are only a couple of bloated automakers left, brand loyalty and customer satisfaction will cease to be relevant issues. We'll have to buy whatever they sell.

dcb

GreenMarine 05-28-2004 08:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: The 9-3 Viggen...

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
AWD doesn't always solve the problem! ;) Have you ever driven an STI? That's one of the easiest AWD cars I know of that can do a 4 wheel burnout - which is awesome to see or 'experience' in person! :D

-Chike

The EVO 8 can do em pretty good too :):):) That was my experience with AWD doughnuts and it was a blast :):D:D

Chiketkd 05-28-2004 09:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The 9-3 Viggen...

Yeah, the Evos can do burnouts as well, but with wider tires and less power, you really need to wind up the engine to 5000+ rpms before the tires break loose! (my buddy from college owns one which I've driven as well :) ). The STI just does it with so much more ease...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
The EVO 8 can do em pretty good too :):):) That was my experience with AWD doughnuts and it was a blast :):D:D

Chiketkd 06-03-2004 06:07 PM

Car and Driver test of the Saab 9-2x...

In my July issue of C&D they had a full test of the car:

0-60 6.1
0-100 18.3
1/4 14.7 @ 92mph
Top Speed 140mph
70-0 braking 171ft
skidpad 0.86g
Fuel Econ 20 city/ 26 hwy

The Verdict:
Highs: Handsome styling, versatile package, faster than an Audi S6 Avant.
Lows: Turbo lag, as Swedish as sumo
Verdict: A swanky WRX that's better in every way.

-Chike

michael 06-03-2004 07:35 PM

Re-badging and cookie cutter cars make me sick I find myself buying older and older cars as I go, my .02 cents! If I were a Saab driver I'd be turned off, Not to put any Subie Hardcores down but Sweed steel has a reputation for durability while Japanese supposedly uses recycled tin. Anyway AWD burnouts, will a 5mt in an SVX light em' up? I never had the pleasure of driving one my self?

Matthewmongan 06-04-2004 06:00 PM

Re: Saabaru

Quote:

Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
Which Subaru assembly line builds this Saab variant? Does it come from Japan, or some US Subaru assembly line?

Does Subaru build cars here like many of the other Japanese companies?

its not just built on a subaru platform the car is the same except for the front facia and sterring wheel says saab instead of subaru

the plate says made in japan FHI saav refits them with the front end in america i think all subies are still built in japan

nubs 06-04-2004 07:49 PM

Re: Re: Saabaru

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthewmongan

its not just built on a subaru platform the car is the same except for the front facia and steering wheel says Saab instead of subaru

the plate says made in japan FHI Saab refits them with the front end in America i think all subies are still built in japan

From what we were told at the Carlilse show, they come right from Japan complete.

Also, all Subaru's are not made in Japan,all Legacy's, Outback's and Baja's are made in Lafayette, Indiana at the SIA plant.

Many of us here toured the plant at the 10th anniversary meet in 2002.

Matthewmongan 06-05-2004 01:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Saabaru

Quote:

Originally posted by nubs

From what we were told at the Carlilse show, they come right from Japan complete.

Also, all Subaru's are not made in Japan,all Legacy's, Outback's and Baja's are made in Lafayette, Indiana at the SIA plant.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

thats the most upsetting thing i have ever heard. GLOBALIZATION WILL BRING THE DOWNFALL OF CIVALIZATION

svxcess 07-10-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubs
All Subarus are not made in Japan,all Legacys, Outbacks and Bajas are made in Lafayette, Indiana at the SIA plant.

JUST FOUND!!
Here is a photo of Mike inspecting the very first Baja to roll off of the SIA assembly line. It was brought to the restaurant for us to inspect/critique at the 10th Anniversary meet. (Although his right hand is not visible, I am willing to bet it may have had a Dremel in it)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/vzSvx/3444.jpg

Royal Tiger 07-10-2006 05:53 PM

I saw the STX concept at the Philadelphia Auto Show before the Baja was given the go ahead. My kids still have the orange STX frisbees somewhere.