The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The SVX and you (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50340)

Turbone 05-25-2009 12:44 PM

Re: The SVX and you

Excellent post Tom!
I've been a owner of many Old Gen Subaru's long before I ever had a SVX.
I've spent more on my 89 RX than all 3 of my SVXi :eek:
I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought the first one.
I also think that to be a dedicated SVX owner, you need to be somewhat of a Subaru enthusiast, ie......a nut.

1986nate 05-25-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbone (Post 602647)
I also think that to be a dedicated SVX owner, you need to be somewhat of a Subaru enthusiast, ie......a nut.

Sooooo not true... I have never had an appreciation for Subarus or any other Asian imported car for that matter but love the SVX. After reading and learning more about other Suby's, I would consider purchasing one in the future if the option came about.:)

DarknessofDeath 05-25-2009 01:31 PM

you can always like a product regardless of brand..but it doesn't mean you like the brand itself ~

Green1995SVX 05-25-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

I disagree. I have zero interest in other Subarus. I have owned two legacys in the past. They were good cars, but I don't think I'd buy another one.

Crazy_pilot 05-25-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 602673)
I disagree. I have zero interest in other Subarus. I have owned two legacys in the past. They were good cars, but I don't think I'd buy another one.

Certainly not one of the new ones...Damn thing's become a tank.

svxistentialist 05-25-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 602673)

Mike

I had twin turbo Legacys in recent years and I'd certainly have another. In fact I'm plotting to change to a twin scroll GT sometime soon.

Nothing else comes close to the SVX driving experience in a modern car, although in fairness the SVX is more soft and plush in how it rides and changes gear compared to the more sporty Legacys. The legacy GT does however tick all the boxes in terms of how it handles bad weather driving.

I think Subaru are currently taking a hammering because they stuck with the driveability of the horizontally opposed engines combined with AWD. They could have gone a cheaper or a more economical route, but they did not because the company is driven by engineers, not marketing bums.

They deserve our support for giving us the sort of driving we like.

Joe

crazyhorse 05-26-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 602703)
I think Subaru are currently taking a hammering because they stuck with the driveability of the horizontally opposed engines combined with AWD. They could have gone a cheaper or a more economical route, but they did not because the company is driven by engineers, not marketing bums.

They deserve our support for giving us the sort of driving we like.

Joe

And this is why, even in this economy Subaru is showing sales GAINS. (If 1% can be called a gain)

subbieatnz 05-26-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

I sort of agree. Im on to number 29ish Subaru :lol:
Mind you im love any thing with a boxer motor weather its a Porshe or VW beetle;)
Ive only owned one other modern car that was a Toyota Hilux and it just didnt do anything for me. In fact it drank more gas than my SVX did.
Im even happy with a flat twin :D

Mind you ive had alot of V8/Hot rod guys come tell me that the SVX is the only Japanese car they would like to own

svxistentialist 05-26-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 602747)
I sort of agree. Im on to number 29ish Subaru :lol:
Mind you im love any thing with a boxer motor weather its a Porshe or VW beetle;)

That reads like you might be a bit of a fan, then. :confused: :lol:

You left out one exceptionally important horizontally opposed engined car that was also designed by our guru Giugiaro; the Alfa Romeo Alfasud. :D

Alfasuds were beautiful to look at, beautiful to be on board and beautiful to drive. Like a lot of cars from their day they rusted, and the build quality could have been better.

Against all this the flat four engine made it handle like a rally car. Sweet memories.

Joe :)

subeman90 05-26-2009 04:15 AM

I too have been a fairly big subaru fan...my SVX is subaru #23

svxistentialist 05-26-2009 06:28 AM

Wow!

Are you guys sure you are not dealers? :rolleyes: :p

Here's me thinking I'm a fan, and I'm only on #8 right now.

:)

SVX_MY_BABY 05-26-2009 06:40 AM

I came to the conclusion many years ago that purchase price of a car is really irrelevant. It is your annual cost including depreciation & maintenance.

The longer you own it the less depreciation and more maintenance.

If you bought a "new" car of the same type/quality as the SVX I'm sure you'd spend at least $40 - $50,000. That would give you around $10,000 annual depreciation at the start.:barf:

That makes our repair bills look tame.:lol:

dcarrb 05-26-2009 07:05 AM

I've owned a 1986 Subaru GL wagon, an '89 GL hatchback (wife's car), two '90 Legacys (the first of which replaced the hatchback, which I wrecked), and now the two SVXs. I would never have considered SVX ownership if not for my Subaru experience. I wouldn't even know what an SVX is, as there aren't any around here.

I'm 50+ and have had only two other cars in my life: A 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 and a 1968 Ford Mustang. My first wife's '78 Chevette doesn't count.

dcb

AyeJaye 05-26-2009 07:46 AM

I've owned 6 Subaru's not counting my SVX. (85 GL sedan, 85 GL wagon, 87 GL coupe, 90 Legacy Sport, 94 Loyale, and 00 Legacy GT) I've also owned, at random intervals in between, a Nissan p/u, a Mazda 626 and a Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally. I'm at a point now where I probably would never again buy a car that wasn't AWD, unless I ponied up the money for an SUV.

I found this board about a month before I actually bought my car, so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into when I got it. And though I feel like I got lucky and found a car in close to excellent shape, I was still willing to take the risk of having high repair bills if it meant owning and driving an SVX. This car is about more than daily driving, its about a love affair with an amazing vehicle that's guaranteed to turn heads wherever it goes, and drives unlike anything else on the road.

Mike621 05-26-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeJaye (Post 602774)
I've owned 6 Subaru's not counting my SVX. (85 GL sedan, 85 GL wagon, 87 GL coupe, 90 Legacy Sport, 94 Loyale, and 00 Legacy GT) I've also owned, at random intervals in between, a Nissan p/u, a Mazda 626 and a Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally. I'm at a point now where I probably would never again buy a car that wasn't AWD, unless I ponied up the money for an SUV.

I found this board about a month before I actually bought my car, so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into when I got it. And though I feel like I got lucky and found a car in close to excellent shape, I was still willing to take the risk of having high repair bills if it meant owning and driving an SVX. This car is about more than daily driving, its about a love affair with an amazing vehicle that's guaranteed to turn heads wherever it goes, and drives unlike anything else on the road.

You could get rid of the velcro and get a new visor... hehe. ;):lol: