The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Turbo Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Turbo options? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38251)

longassname 06-27-2007 10:19 AM

12psi is not 12psi nor 12psi nor 12psi. The mass of air pushed is what matters. Pressure is used and talked about because it's easy to measure; however, temperature has a huge effect on the mass of air that a given pressure in a given volume indicates.

12psi and below is the range where you don't really need intercooling or aftercooling. You can cool any forced induction air charge. The piece of hardware used with turbos is called and intercooler the piece of hardware used with superchargers is called an aftercooler. 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

If you have a system running 12psi of boost and you throw an intercooler or aftercooler on it your manifold pressures will drop. That 12 psi will be more like 8 psi. It's still pushing about the same amount of air; the air is just cooler now. So now you are making about the same power but your boost gauge shows 8 psi instead of 12.

As far as the comparisons between superchargers and turbos when not cooling the aircharge..it depends on the supercharger and turbo. A centrifugal supercharger is about the same as a turbo. A twin screw supercharger is much more efficient so the same amout of boost from a twin screw charger is more air than the same amount from a turbo or centrifugal. A roots blower is more efficient than most turbos below around 8 psi and less efficient above that. With turbos and centrifugals the efficiency varies widely depending on the matching of the turbo to the size of the engine as well. In practice it's pretty complicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I was reading and wondered : Is 12psi super charge same power of 12psi turbo ? But , only turbo offers intercooled option ?

SVX_Smoke_Out 06-27-2007 08:07 PM

Been awhile since i poseted but i got a few questions. So whats the deal with the rear mounted turbos think they would work good on the SVX. Only thing im not sure about is the spool is it going to be laging because of the amount of tubing to be used for a rear mount setup?

sicksubie 06-27-2007 08:53 PM

Been discussed....... not a good option

Nomad 06-28-2007 09:08 AM

ok , thanx , now im starting to understand ! :)

XT6Wagon 07-18-2007 11:54 AM

Mmm, missed the rear mount turbo question. Yes, rear mount turbos work. You are NOT going to get razor sharp response times, but you will get a good bit of extra power.

They work, and they will work well enough to blow the stock motor to pieces from too much boost/power. In someways they are safer than normal placed turbos since you typicly don't get the turbocharger "running away", or pressure spikes that can do **** like bend throttle plates. On the otherhand, lighting off a turbo such that its operating as a "jet engine" gets some stupid fast spool times and huge torque, so if you want to autoX, or break drivetrains, a close mount turbo is definitely the way to go.

However, its not that hard to use a more traditional subaru turbo position with most reasonable sized turbos, so might as well do that instead of re-inventing the wheel as it were.

SubaruSVXCrazy 06-25-2008 11:12 AM

Re: Turbo options?

I just jacked a stock IHI RHB5 out of an 87 GL-10. If I rebuild it, could I use it? :D

RallyBob 06-25-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 553792)
I just jacked a stock IHI RHB5 out of an 87 GL-10. If I rebuild it, could I use it? :D

On your lawnmower perhaps.....:rolleyes:

A bit too small for an SVX. Unless you run 4 of them.

SubaruSVXCrazy 06-25-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyBob (Post 553833)

LOL, :lol:

TomsSVX 06-26-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

LOL Eric said those exact words yesterday:lol::lol:

Tom

Roo 07-14-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 553792)

Quote:

Hmm, that gives me an idea...

Individual IHI RHB5 turbos...one for each cylinder!!!

:lol: