The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My SVX got hit! ARGH! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49750)

Mike621 04-20-2009 07:28 AM

Re: My SVX got hit! ARGH!

I have been talking with the insurance company and adjuster agency with regard to the accident daily (with the exception of when I was at Reading).

I have provided receipts of the parts I have purchased within the past few months (~$1750) for that particular SVX to the adjuster and this affects the ACV (actual cash value) of the vehicle. With the ACV being so low, this car was risking a total loss payout, but the adjuster assured me that with the supplemental information I provided, that they would not total the car.

He returned my $3000 estimate back to me, adjusted to the amount of $2600 of compensation for the damage to my vehicle. Considering the negotiations thus far, I am optimistic and forsee having a check within the next couple weeks for an amount around $2600-$2900 to repair my vehicle without declaring it a total loss.

redlightningsvx 04-20-2009 04:12 PM

Glad to hear Mike.

Mike621 05-04-2009 10:03 AM

The insurance company has settled with me, without declaring my car a total, as I provided all of the documentation of recent work to supplement its ACV (Actual Cash Value)

Today, I am happy to say the recent body damage is fixed! The rusted area of the panel has also been properly replaced as well. :)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...y/DSCN2554.jpg

BIG thanks to Eric for his assistance throughout this process. I plan to fix the rust along the right rear quarter panel, and the right side door before paint. I have also removed the rear spoiler, as this car did not originally have one from the factory.

My plans include a complete repaint in Ebony Mica (Yes John, I will remove the glass and all applicable body plugs when this paintjob is done! :lol:). If all goes according to plan, the car will receive the RX8 wheels that are now on my Claret, once they are redone in Light Metallic Silver. :cool:

BoxerFanatic 05-04-2009 11:59 AM

That sounds like it is going to be a nice freshening up...

fresh black paint, silver RX8 wheels... (you picked up the gold prodrives for the Claret car, didn't you...)

Cool. Looking forward to the pics... :D

Mike621 05-04-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic (Post 600020)
That sounds like it is going to be a nice freshening up...

fresh black paint, silver RX8 wheels... (you picked up the gold prodrives for the Claret car, didn't you...)

Cool. Looking forward to the pics... :D

This is my intention. I must wait until the end of the week before I can finalize a deal on the wheels. Barring unexpected expenses, my goal is to have the car in new paint before the end of the summer.

svxistentialist 05-05-2009 05:52 AM

Sounds great Mike.

Negotiation was the way to go. Everybody wins, or at least gets a better deal and more of what they want.

Joe :)

sicksubie 05-05-2009 06:32 AM

Mike, I am doing the last bit of stripping my ebony for paint... How does the rear bumper attach?

Mike621 05-05-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 600153)
Mike, I am doing the last bit of stripping my ebony for paint... How does the rear bumper attach?

There is a 10 mm bolt at each top corner of the bumper, behind the plastic liner. Patience is required to remove these.

There are 17mm bolts at the two lower corners of the bumper cover. These can be a PITA to remove if they are rusted. You may want to remove the small bracket it attaches to (either 2 10 mm or 12 mm-- I don't recall offhand)

Remove the trunk carpet and side liners.

On the lower portion of the inside of the rear quarter, you will see a singular 10 mm nut on each side. Remove, as it is for the bumper bracket.

You will see four plastic plugs on the trunk floor, two identical (about 1.5 inch diameter) on each side (this is adjacent to the spare tire well.. Pop them out and there are 17mm bolts underneath. Once you remove those bolts, lift the bumper slightly, and slide it off of the car.

Mike621 05-05-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 600151)
Sounds great Mike.

Negotiation was the way to go. Everybody wins, or at least gets a better deal and more of what they want.

Joe :)

Joe,

I obtained two high/safe estimates, and used that as leverage during negotiations. Thanks everyone for your advice! :)

Mike621 05-26-2009 09:02 PM

Progress:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/DSCN2605.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/DSCN2606.jpg

svxistentialist 05-27-2009 03:16 AM

Looks like good progress Mike.

Your dark rims are $hit.
[Can you say that if you are a moderator?] :p

Hard to be certain from the photo but it looks a little like the rear trailing edge of your driver's door is folded in from hitting off things. Can you correct this while refinishing?

Joe

Mike621 05-27-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 602925)
Looks like good progress Mike.

Your dark rims are $hit.
[Can you say that if you are a moderator?] :p

Hard to be certain from the photo but it looks a little like the rear trailing edge of your driver's door is folded in from hitting off things. Can you correct this while refinishing?

Joe

Joe,

The black wheels are rollers so that the car is sitting on something during paint. :p Once the paint is done, they will come off and the RX8 wheels will go on. The door edge is indeed straight. I guess the lighting is playing tricks? I replaced that door, as the original had two large areas of damage.

redlightningsvx 05-27-2009 03:49 PM

What primer did you guys end up using? And what's up with primer on those body plugs!!!!:p

Mike621 05-27-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 603013)
What primer did you guys end up using? And what's up with primer on those body plugs!!!!:p

Its only sealer right now! I have DuPont Nason primer for it, once im ready to shoot the whole car with it!

Hey, I shot the sealer at 1am. Its not like I actually painted on them! Besides, I actually took the time to remove the handles, cladding, and moldings. The glass will also be out once I'm ready to do the roof.:D

SSSVX 05-28-2009 02:04 AM

Glad everything works out for you in the end.

Looking good.

U work in the body shop? U are fixing the car by yourself?
Must have made some money from what they pay you. :D