The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Were these cars built to be crap? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30436)

ensteele 01-01-2006 01:56 PM

If you unplug them, you are ok. It is when they short out that you have problems. :)

spinn360 01-09-2006 01:10 PM

DID you check all the coils?? Is the car running on all 6 cylinders>?

Ron Mummert 01-09-2006 09:07 PM

You may want to PM SVXcess (John). I don't remember the exact symptoms he experienced with his '95, but it had an electrical problem that a number of mechanics could only scratch their heads about. The problem was finally traced to a feeder wire under or buried in the fusebox that appeared to be a factory defect. The wire appeared "crushed", & I believe the insulation finally deteriorated to the point of creating goofy problems. The fusebox had to be replaced, but the agony ceased.

Ron.

Ricochet 01-09-2006 10:35 PM

The one under the hood? (are there two?)
Thanks I'll dig around there because even after my exhaust fix, the car still randomly sputters and stalls while stopped.

TomsSVX 01-09-2006 10:57 PM

If it really only acts up while at a stop or idle it would seem to me like a vaccum leak or a leaky intake gasket. Are there any electrical happenings that would suggest otherwise??

Tom

Ron Mummert 01-09-2006 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=Ricochet]The one under the hood? (are there two?)

Yup...it's the only one that I'm familiar with.

Ron.

ensteele 01-09-2006 11:10 PM

There is another one behind the kick pannel too. :)

(I think) :confused:

Ricochet 01-10-2006 03:04 AM

It only completely dies while I'm stopped, but hesitates sometimes while driving too.. It feels like a fuel cut or something.

Mr. Pockets 01-10-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
Yes I had the alternator and battery both checked.. both are perfectly fine.

I haven't finished reading this thread yet, but I wanted to chime in with my experience.

I don't trust auto parts shops when it comes to 'testing' alternators and batteries. I've had them tell me an alternator was perfectly fine, then I've gone home and replaced it with another and had the problems solved.

Those shops only 'test' an alternator for 4-5 seconds, so they'll easily miss an intermittent problem or one caused by heat.

My only point is that I wouldn't implicitly trust an alternator just because a shop 'tested' it. I wouldn't rule it out.

That being said, I do want to agree with both Nik and Todd on their different points. Nik reminded you that the car is 14 years old. It's new to you, but it's not new in the least. It's going to need care. And I also think Todd had a good suggestion in the vacuum lines. They're all over the place, they're of different sizes and some are very hard to get to.

n00b on demand 01-10-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
That being said, I do want to agree with both Nik and Todd on their different points. Nik reminded you that the car is 14 years old. It's new to you, but it's not new in the least. It's going to need care. And I also think Todd had a good suggestion in the vacuum lines. They're all over the place, they're of different sizes and some are very hard to get to.

Yeah agreed. I always seem to think im driving a new car sometimes so when something goes wrong i get extra pissed off. But then i think about it and im like this is a 13 year old car so things are going to break and go wrong. And thats exactly why im taking care of all the routine maintanence before i start to auto-x it :D