The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The SVX and you (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50340)

Green1995SVX 05-23-2009 12:46 AM

Re: The SVX and you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 602331)
:confused: there's been cheap bastiges on here long before you joined. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing!

Clydesvx 05-23-2009 02:02 AM

I bought my SVX in 1995 for $12K with a little over 50,000 miles on it. I have put almost that much in it since that time. I think Subaru is still using NISSAN trannys. I guess the 5/6 speed swap is the only real fix.

Mensaf 05-23-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydesvx (Post 602457)
I bought my SVX in 1995 for $12K with a little over 50,000 miles on it. I have put almost that much in it since that time. I think Subaru is still using NISSAN trannys. I guess the 5/6 speed swap is the only real fix.

I am curious as to why the Pathfinders never shared the same problems though.

Clydesvx 05-23-2009 02:05 AM

Maybe we should see if their Transmissions work in the SVX!!

Subix 05-23-2009 02:39 AM

I don't know... I'm more of a computer person than I ever was a car person until I got the SVX. I've learned so much about cars, with much still to learn, I'm sort of thankful in some regards with the experience I've gained. I guess I say that as my repairs thus far haven't been astronomical but even when/if that day comes, I'm sure I'll deal with it because contrary to what some may say, this car 'is' worth it!

(unlike ****ty insurance companies who come up otherwise)

Personally I can say out of the first year of 'me' owning my 17 year old, 179k mile SVX, it has never technically left me stranded, minus the one morning my battery decided to die, which is perfectly acceptable and can happen with any car. It is in the shop getting a good 1500 worth of rear end repairs now.... which is after my last fender bender (or good rear ending), with two cars that look like they aren't even related in the same accident, I drove away from the accident with no issue.... (aside from the obvious lol)

I'm grateful for the opportunity in owning such an awesome car.
I don't need to own a farm worth of them :tongue: but I would love to have a second one someday, issues or not.

Here's to 300k+!!
DO <3!

Mensaf 05-23-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 602461)

(unlike ****ty insurance companies who come up otherwise)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

RallyBob 05-23-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 602458)
I am curious as to why the Pathfinders never shared the same problems though.

Nissan Pathfinder automatics fail regularly...you should see the complaints on the forums! The one in my Pathfinder failed at 140k. No warnings...just went 'like that'.

Mensaf 05-23-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyBob (Post 602501)
Nissan Pathfinder automatics fail regularly...you should see the complaints on the forums! The one in my Pathfinder failed at 140k. No warnings...just went 'like that'.

Really? We have 2 as of now. One that has around 55k that my mom uses, and the workhorse I used until recently before the reverse gear crapped out. That one has 335k as of now and still moves forward and all, but it's been beat to all hell (ironically, while I was standing still at red lights every time...maybe I should start running reds) and isn't worth fixing. I'm just taking off anything useful for the other one and junking it, but I have no complaints over the past 7 years I've had it.

RallyBob 05-23-2009 12:27 PM

This post outline the common Pathfinder automatic issues, and one possible repair. Generally it's due to heat buildup and lack of maintenance (ATF fluid changes). Note they mention the Subaru as well.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?...tranny+failure

1986nate 05-23-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 602448)
I'm going to agree with you on all points but one; the transmission. Despite my awd not working and the breakband being adjusted (the latter expected over time, and they made it accessable externally for that), I've read countless threads on people replacing their transmissions 2, 3, 4, and one guy even 6 times, and all within an unreasonable amount of time/mileage. I've had plenty of old cars with original auto and manual transmissions that still shifted great and have seen a great deal more abuse (think Trans Am) than most of the aformentioned SVXi ever have, and they haven't blown to bits.

A lot of times when people are replacing their transmission in the SVX, they are replacing it with a used one, so if you continue doing that, of course you are going to be replacing it multiple times. The main reason they fail is from heat build up due to the TCU making long, smooth shifts that cause extra wear than necessary and in turn, extra heat.
It seems like if you get a reprogrammed TCU from LAN, buy an external filter, get an aux cooler, and change the trans fluid regularly, there is no reason a 4eat can't last in the SVX. If I remember seeing right, there is someone on here with over 200k still using the same trans it rolled off the assembly line with.

I must say that I have not had to spend much on my SVX since I bought it last September. I have minimal cash flow but I work on as much as I can. I've replaced the ball joints, an exhaust donut when I first got it, and as stated before, my transmission has lost the high clutch so I have just been using it the way it it since Thanksgiving. I will be taking the trans out of my parts car and seeing if that one is good within the next month or so. If it works as it should, great. If not, I'll still have a very reliable city car that I can take on the highway for a few miles if absolutely necessary. It has never not started, never died for no reason on me. Then again, none of the cars I have ever bought have left me stranded or had major issues. I know what to look for in cars and had no problem buying the Pontiac Grand Prix I did even though it had 200,000 miles on it.

Just my 2cents. Put the time into the car and it will give you an awesome car to drive that also gets everyone lookin at you:cool:

crazyhorse 05-23-2009 07:00 PM

My SVX has obscenely high mileage (260K+) Even at that, it's still bulletproof. Yeah I put a trans in it, but I'd expected that. I'd also expected a motor by now, but that shows no signs of trouble. I'm currently running a 2nd O2 sensor code, but that's my only trouble. The car uses 1.5qt of oil between changes. Those aren't complaints, just observations. I'm pretty sure my car was well cared for before I got it. It still gets regular care, but I likely drive it harder than the original owner.

I have a 33mi one way commute. No interstate, all 2-lane blacktop. Crooked 2-lane blacktop. *grin* I'd hop in & drive to California (2k+ mi) no worries.

If it breaks, it'll be hard on me financially, but I'll fix it. I love driving it too much. That, and it's one of my "dream machines".

aust92pearl 05-23-2009 07:18 PM

My SVX has fairly high mileage too 250k km. and I'm pretty sure my car was not so well cared for before I got it (log books somehow jumped 100k ). but all in all she is still a strong old girl haha ive only replaced the water pump so far but everything else is still fairly good bit of a leak here n there but not enuf to be worried about yet lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 602523)
If it breaks, it'll be hard on me financially, but I'll fix it. I love driving it too much. That, and it's one of my "dream machines".

:lol:

K_Dub 05-23-2009 11:50 PM

People asked me when I got my car why I didn't just pony up for a loan and get a new car. The way I see it is, if I were to take on a financing for a car as good as this one I'd be looking at over $500 per month. Legacy GT lease/loan payments:eek: So by that logic my car is payed for in less than 6 months. I bought my SVX in June of last year, and since have put over $3k into it in ways that not only fixed problems, but enhanced the vehicle. By my formula I'm still breaking even with payments and have a car that I love more each time something breaks or wears out. I can't wait until the brakes wear out (new lines, rotors/calipers) or heaven forbid head gaskets (port/polish, camshafts). Resale isn't an issue because at almost 190k miles and climbing, I imagine I'll be this car's last owner. I don't mind keeping up with the costs of owning an SVX, but I would like to get a different daily driver. Mostly I just miss off-roading, but I'd also like to keep this baby running for as long as possible. Point being; for the money this is still the best car I can get, and if things go wrong I deal with them in a way that I don't feel I'm getting ripped off by my car.

K_Dub 05-23-2009 11:58 PM

That being said, Tom has me dead to rights. 6,7 and 8 were written for me:rolleyes: Looks like I've got work to do... PreCat back exhaust, poly bushings and camshafts coming soon.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 602257)
6. Exhaust systems are going to rust. You are talking about 16 year old tubing here people. It sees extremely hot temperatures, water, salt, you name it. They are only going to get worse. STOP trying to patch it, have it replaced in sections if you cannot afford to replace the entire exhaust.

7. Rubber, it dries out. Engine mounts, transmission mounts, differential bushings, exhaust hangers, control arm bushings, swap bar bushings... These things are going to fail. You own an old car, get used to the idea.

8. Oil Leaks, its a Subaru... its going to happen. FIX THEM! I have seen undercoating wiped off of the bottom of some of the cars that come into the shop because the oil simply breaks it down. It is not helping anything.

DarknessofDeath 05-24-2009 08:07 AM

angry man ~