The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Resealing the motor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48682)

sperry 02-22-2009 03:52 PM

Re: Resealing the motor

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 588513)
Nice job dude! Forgive my ignorance, what's the advantage with using the WRX mounts vs SVX mounts?

Thanks.

The SVX mounts cost around $200 each, while the WRX mounts are more like $60 each. Plus the WRX mounts are stiffer, stronger, last longer, and are not filled with oil.

sperry 02-22-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 588516)
Grand Total $$$ ???? Minus Knock Sensor,Valve Cover Gaskets & spark plugs

So, total cost of the main seals and cam seals/plugs? I don't remember specifically, but each seal is <$10, so maybe $50?

techy101 03-09-2009 12:43 PM

So this thread is a little bit old, but I was wondering what exactly you used as a cleaner and brushes to get the engine that clean. I'm getting ready to pull/reseal mine next week and I would like to get it as clean as possible.

Also, how did you get to everything that was under the intake manifold?

sperry 03-09-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techy101 (Post 591171)
So this thread is a little bit old, but I was wondering what exactly you used as a cleaner and brushes to get the engine that clean. I'm getting ready to pull/reseal mine next week and I would like to get it as clean as possible.

Also, how did you get to everything that was under the intake manifold?

I used Gunk engine cleaner and Oil Eater, and used my pressure washer and a set of detailing brushes (nylon, brass, and steel).

To get under the intake manifold, I basically just soaked it down with Gunk and let it sit a while. Then with the motor tilted at 90 deg on the engine stand and with a big old plastic bin under it to collect the run-off, I just hosed it down w/ the pressure washer.

I used a similar technique on the rest of the motor to get into spots like the spark plug access holes, around the oil pan, etc. Most of the hard scrubbing was on parts that came off the motor for cleaning, like the power-steering pump, which got washed in my kitchen sink w/ hot water, dish soap, and a brass brush.

Since I had to do this in my garage (it was Jan and too cold to do it outside) I think I spent more time mopping up the garage after using the pressure washer indoors than I did actually cleaning the motor. My advice would be to park the engine stand in the back-yard in a kiddy pool. :lol:

stuartracing 03-09-2009 05:43 PM

Come to find out all my smoking was from residual oil and stuff from a tran.s replacement.... after about 2 weeks it doesn`t smoke anymore....:)

pearlm30 03-11-2009 01:52 AM

A lot of good tips and tricks in this thread. Great job:)