The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the ugly wood dash is killing me! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45199)

kwren 06-19-2008 11:01 AM

Re: the ugly wood dash is killing me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 552701)
i wanna pull all the fake wood off and paint it, but im afraid i gonna pull something too hard and break it, can someone help me out a little? like screw locations if there are any, and where each part is clipped on?

My friend that has a new Rolls-Royce has the same problem... the ugly wood looking dash. He would be real interested in finding a viable solution to get rid of that "embarrassing" situation. He says even when people simply walk by where he is parked, they cannot stop staring at his car! He is sure that the "pathetic" wood dash is what they are all staring at. He is already leaning toward the "painting it gray" as the best way to go. He suggested maybe do it with a brush to get the brush strokes look... Hope we can put our heads together and come up with the best way to paint it.

It would solve all our problems and my friend's problem as well!!!

Thanks everyone for your input. Another of the many mountains we can climb when we all work together!

Keith:)

Wolfy 06-19-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 552823)
My friend that has a new Rolls-Royce has the same problem... the ugly wood looking dash. He would be real interested in finding a viable solution to get rid of that "embarrassing" situation. He says even when people simply walk by where he is parked, they cannot stop staring at his car! He is sure that the "pathetic" wood dash is what they are all staring at. He is already leaning toward the "painting it gray" as the best way to go. He suggested maybe do it with a brush to get the brush strokes look... Hope we can put our heads together and come up with the best way to paint it.

It would solve all our problems and my friend's problem as well!!!

Thanks everyone for your input. Another of the many mountains we can climb when we all work together!

Keith:)

wat color is his car? i can do some research and see wat color would look the nicest for hs car... id be lad to help! :D

NikFu S. 06-19-2008 11:32 AM

Ugh. Just buy a dash kit and paint that. The paint you've chosen looks horrible.
I really hope you like it. It would be a shame to have second thoughts after painting the panels, is all I'm saying.

Personally I think an aluminum dash kit looks best, second to a lighter woodgrain, my 92 color being 3rd.

Wolfy 06-19-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 552845)
Ugh. Just buy a dash kit and paint that. The paint you've chosen looks horrible.
I really hope you like it. It would be a shame to have second thoughts after painting the panels, is all I'm saying.

Personally I think an aluminum dash kit looks best, second to a lighter woodgrain, my 92 color being 3rd.

i know, i wish you were here, the picture really does make it look like crap. grr :(:confused::barf:

It's Just Eric 06-19-2008 11:47 AM

The camera's flash brings out ALL the metallic. Sure it looks much better in regular daylight.

And to the rols royce guy....disassemble eerything, get the wood out, and take it to a good body shop to be painted. Anything less than that is simply foolish

WestCoastSVX 06-19-2008 12:09 PM

I think the Rolls Royce story was supposed to be sarcastic.

But comparing SVX cheap looking fake plastic wood grain (especially on a 92) to real wood dash pieces on a Rolls that are hand picked from trees they probably grow special just for that purpose - :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even when the SVX came out in 92 many of the magazine reviews pointed out the fake wood as one of the few faults.

tiv0 06-19-2008 12:39 PM

i was on some random site where this guy had carbon fiber (probably fake) pieces in place of the fake wood on his svx...ugh
im okay with some carbon fiber but honestly, theres a limit to how much should actually be part of the car

redlightningsvx 06-19-2008 05:50 PM

you can check out my dash on cardomain. It's done flat black. It turn out ok except for the climate control which I still need to get another one:(

Wolfy 06-19-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 552902)
you can check out my dash on cardomain. It's done flat black. It turn out ok except for the climate control which I still need to get another one:(

looks good, hope mine turns out as good, hopefully better. no offence :)

dcarrb 06-20-2008 05:30 AM

I think from time to time how I'd prefer flat black painted plastic on mine, especially in the silver, in which the center AC vent surround has mutated into an odd purple, but I'm way too lazy to bother.

Horrible decision by Subaru, using cheesy fake wood on such a classy car.

dcb

Treppiede 06-20-2008 07:11 AM

I think that the wood-wanna-be trimming used in our SVXes is ugly and cheap as well.
The only example I've seen was on my father's '95 SVX, I can only imagine how nasty the one on the '92 models that you guys are mentioning can look.

Fortunately mine came without wood-wanna-be trimming, I like the clean, plain look much better.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck was going through the minds of the people responsible for certain SVX choices. Was it supposed to be Subaru's answer to Supras, 3000GTs, 300ZXs and RX7s? If yes, why in the world did they choose AT over MT? Was it supposed to be a sports car or a luxury car? I love my torquey flat-6, beautiful piece of engineering (especially the non-interference part :D) but why didn't they offer any forced induction option?

I love SVXs but when I think of the quantity of owners (including myself) that have to make substantial changes to truly appreciate them I wonder whether it's fair to say that Subaru has made some very stupid choices for our cars. Something to think about, no? :rolleyes:

-Walter

YourConfused 06-20-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 552821)
Attachment 10873heres a pic of the paint i want to use, i sprayed it on a random piece of plastic last night to show you. its a bit of a rough texture black with reflective thingys in it lol its hard to see in the pic but it gives like a matte finish when sanded and primed correctly. wat you think? i also have the gray suede in the car and i think it would go nicely. wat you think?

I like it! But what you think is all that matters really. So, between you and I there is at least a +2 on the 'like it' part.

dcarrb 06-20-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treppiede (Post 552996)
I love SVXs but when I think of the quantity of owners (including myself) that have to make substantial changes to truly appreciate them I wonder whether it's fair to say that Subaru has made some very stupid choices for our cars. Something to think about, no? :rolleyes:

-Walter

I wouldn't go that far. In fact, I figure folks who feel the need to make "substantial changes" in order to truly appreciate an SVX probably should be driving something else. All respect to those who enjoy "modding" and do it well, but I'll never understand what motivates those who persist in trying to make this car into something it's not.

Fake wood=terrible idea.
Glovebox=poor design.
Flimsy-ass particle board spare tire cover in a $28,000 automobile=inexcusable.

After 50,000+ miles in the front-left seat, That pretty much sums-up what I don't like about these cars.

dcb

lhopp77 06-20-2008 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 552999)
I wouldn't go that far. In fact, I figure folks who feel the need to make "substantial changes" in order to truly appreciate an SVX probably should be driving something else. All respect to those who enjoy "modding" and do it well, but I'll never understand what motivates those who persist in trying to make this car into something it's not.

Fake wood=terrible idea.
Glovebox=poor design.
Flimsy-ass particle board spare tire cover in a $28,000 automobile=inexcusable.

After 50,000+ miles in the front-left seat, That pretty much sums-up what I don't like about these cars.

dcb

+1 to what he said.
Actually the fake wood does not even qualify as fake wood on the 92--much better on later models as can be seen in
pic.

Forgot the pic. :o

Lee

NikFu S. 06-20-2008 01:15 PM

That to me is uglier than what I have. I like the color, but it's splotchy. I don't like the dark color of mine, but it seems uniform. Or maybe it's just too dark to tell.