The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Metal Radiator (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38383)

odepaj 05-07-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
no no no, I have the new rad completely in the car, fans and hoses all attached and everything. I filled the radiator with water until it wouldnt take anymore, and the coolant reservior is well above the full mark. There are no bubbles when I run the car up to temperature. Am I all good to go?

I skipped flushing it cuz im lazy and the coolant had been flushed last year. Am I all good

I dont know if this was directed toward me, but I was just adding to how people were saying to remove the radiator and fans, I find it much easier to remove the rad and fans as a whole. I wouldnt know about what other things to do (im in the same boat as you on this one because I just pulled my radiator out today and need to fill it tomorrow).

Dustin

Trevor 05-07-2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj
It's much simpler to remove the radiator with the fans still attached, everything comes out and goes back in smoothly. It also only requires the 4 bolts on top to be removed (instead of the bolts to remove the fans aswell).

Dustin

If radiator removal instructions goes in the "How Too", this is definitely what the instructions should indicate. Having just the done the job, I am quite certain in this regard.

Actually all that has to be said is; remove everything that is directly attached to the radiator/fan assembly and lift it out. Piece of cake. ;)

I have just had a very nice alluminium top tank made and fitted to my radiator, as a replacement for the rotten plastic item. I will be putting it back in the car tomorrow. A small local radiator outfit did the job for, NZ$180.00. Say in US money, approx. $150.00.

Eat your hearts out.:rolleyes: ;)

odepaj 05-08-2007 11:09 AM

This may be a stupid question (but I have to ask as I've never done radiators before), I took my radiator out yesterday to get to my timing. Now, the radiators back in and I need to know if I just put the new coolant in or is there a special procedure that I should do?

Also, Kozykat (Marissa) told me about pulling the radiator with the fans still attached (giving credit where credit is due)............but I had planned on doing it that way already :p ;) :)

Dustin

AlcyoneDaze 05-09-2007 12:33 PM

WOW!!!

NEW radiator went in with no problems, I'm running basically a 90-10 misxture of distilled water to antifreeze since its a hot summer, and guess what?

my MPG took a turn for the better! I'm now getting 385 miles to a tank of 91 grade, where I used to only get 300-330 to a tank!!! also, my temp gauge used to register just a hair under halfway, now its running a couple notches below that! better MPG, better cooling, I'm one happy SVX owner today :D

thanks again for all the help and input from everybody! if it weren't for this site I'd be paying out the butt for repairs, now I can do all this stuff myself :p