The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front Wiper Control Unit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34696)

dromano 07-28-2008 09:52 PM

Re: Front Wiper Control Unit

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558075)
Yea, don't disconnect the seat wiring until after all 5 bolts are out... Otherwise its a snap

Tom

I'm doing the front Oil seals/plugs, do I have to connect the battery to remove the drivers seat? 5 bolts are holding the seat in, yes?

Think I'll wait till I have the front of the engine buttoned up before I take the driver seat out, so much fun I could just s***.

TomsSVX 07-28-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558076)
I'm doing the front Oil seals/plugs, do I have to connect the battery to remove the drivers seat? 5 bolts are holding the seat in, yes?

Think I'll wait till I have the front of the engine buttoned up before I take the driver seat out, so much fun I could just s***.

lol, yea I would suggest tackling one thing at a time here

Tom

dromano 07-28-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558078)
lol, yea I would suggest tackling one thing at a time here

Tom

Good advice and I'm taking it. I'm waiting for oil seals & an O ring to finish the front of the engine. The O ring is so flat, it has RTV on it, is that normal? The oil pump O ring is so flat on both sides, is it age or is this normal? The O ring is not an O, it looks like a round thing with 2 flat sides, is this normal after 17 years/117xxx miles?

TomsSVX 07-28-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558080)
Good advice and I'm taking it. I'm waiting for oil seals & an O ring to finish the front of the engine. The O ring is so flat, it has RTV on it, is that normal? The oil pump O ring is so flat on both sides, is it age or is this normal? The O ring is not an O, it looks like a round thing with 2 flat sides, is this normal after 17 years/117xxx miles?

yes... they are flat o-rings. The RTV is probably the "fluid packing" as Subaru refers to it, that seals the oil pump to the block. Make sure you follow the manuals instructions to installing it properly or risk having it leak

Tom

dromano 07-28-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558081)
yes... they are flat o-rings. The RTV is probably the "fluid packing" as Subaru refers to it, that seals the oil pump to the block. Make sure you follow the manuals instructions to installing it properly or risk having it leak

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Will do, leaks? I don't want no f*ing leaks, I'll follow the advice of the gurus and
follow the manual instructions. I'll probably do more than the manual instructions:D

TomsSVX 07-29-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558082)
Thanks Tom,

Will do, leaks? I don't want no f*ing leaks, I'll follow the advice of the gurus and
follow the manual instructions. I'll probably do more than the manual instructions:D

Pick up some Perma-tex ultra-black and use it to form a thing bead around the mating surface of the oil pump. Make sure you make a bead around the o-ring but not enough to allow it to push into the 0-ring grove. Also, coat the threads on the three oil pump bolts on the right side (passenger side) of the engine. I will try and scan the page out of the manual for you when i get to the shop next.:)

Tom

dromano 07-29-2008 08:31 PM

Tom, thank you, such good info. I have cleaned both flanges, waiting for O ring.

When I pulled the oil pump bolts each of them had gray RTV on the thread end, the bolt holes in the pump were surrounded with gray RTV. It looks like "clean both flange surfaces and apply the right amount of RTV". OK, don't over do it!

TomsSVX 07-29-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558196)
Tom, thank you, such good info. I have cleaned both flanges, waiting for O ring.

When I pulled the oil pump bolts each of them had gray RTV on the thread end, the bolt holes in the pump were surrounded with gray RTV. It looks like "clean both flange surfaces and apply the right amount of RTV". OK, don't over do it!

Just be sure to use a sealant that has good oil and heat resistance... Its a good idea to coat all of the bolt threads, but the book only requires those three

Tom

dromano 07-30-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558111)
Pick up some Perma-tex ultra-black and use it to form a thing bead around the mating surface of the oil pump. Make sure you make a bead around the o-ring but not enough to allow it to push into the 0-ring grove. Also, coat the threads on the three oil pump bolts on the right side (passenger side) of the engine. I will try and scan the page out of the manual for you when i get to the shop next.:)

Tom

Do you think Permatex Ultra Grey RTV will perform like Ultra Black? I have Ultra Grey due to Old Tom's advice. Used it on the water pump. I can't remember where it came from, but, I have a metal water pump gasket that I will use in combo with the fiber gasket and RTV.

TomsSVX 07-30-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558354)
Do you think Permatex Ultra Grey RTV will perform like Ultra Black? I have Ultra Grey due to Old Tom's advice. Used it on the water pump. I can't remember where it came from, but, I have a metal water pump gasket that I will use in combo with the fiber gasket and RTV.

huh?? I wouldn't use that many gaskets... there is no need to use any other besides the metal gasket itself... Never double stack

Tom

dromano 07-31-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558356)
huh?? I wouldn't use that many gaskets... there is no need to use any other besides the metal gasket itself... Never double stack

Tom

If I use only the metal gasket, do I put RTV on both sides of It? I did both gaskets 7 years ago, no leaks, with blue RTV, inquiring minds want to know.:D

TomsSVX 08-01-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558499)
If I use only the metal gasket, do I put RTV on both sides of It? I did both gaskets 7 years ago, no leaks, with blue RTV, inquiring minds want to know.:D

THere is no need for sealer unless there has been abnormal wear on the block or the pump that caused the face of either to become warped or marked, thus causing a leak... Otherwise, the metal gasket alone with no RTV should be all you need.

Tom

kwren 08-01-2008 12:06 PM

use correct torque when tightening the bolts:)
Keith

Manarius 08-01-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558061)
Well, you thought wrong!! The front wipers have a "control unit", it is 2 3/4"X3 1/2". Now you know more than you knew before. Why bother posting if you have no clue?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

In every other Subaru, the control unit is on the stalk itself.

dromano 08-02-2008 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of the front wiper control unit it is a 17 pin module that is secretly hidden under the left side dash. Part #88571PA000.

The round thing to the left is a penny & the vise grip with the bent nail is my new oil seal puller:D Some day I will learn to use the digital camera:o

Dave