The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suggestion for peace... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5856)

Boone 09-12-2002 05:33 PM

Rdub,
I do think 'dis place could use an additional forum for "off topic" threads like "look at 'dis", "'dis is what's up my a$$ today", "'dis is what I used to drive" and "'dis is how I work out". It might keep this site from turning too much into a public chat room instead of what it was created for, in lieu of any real measures to control the participants. BTW there is a chat room here for those who wish to engage in keyboard combat when they feel the urge and keep it off the record. Then again, most threads turn off topic and there is fun in that too, when it stays fun. Youse are the ones in control. (not 'dissin anyone) :p Boone

ensteele 09-12-2002 05:53 PM

I have used the chat room in the past and had a great time talking about a subject or current problem with others. I don't think I would use it any more if it was used for other than that use. It has been bad enough over the past couple weeks which has changed the attitude some. I have seen this negative energy start to spread to other members, and I am dissapointed in the recent attitude of some here. I am trying to stay upbeat and not let this get to me because this forum and most of the members mean a lot to me. I guess I just hate change. :(

LarryIII 09-12-2002 06:47 PM

Earl,

First the pendelum swings one way, slows down and stops. Then it starts to move back. I believe we are in the slow down part.

So hang in there baby.

mattski 09-12-2002 07:03 PM

I love my SVX, and I like this forum because of the nice people I have met. Dealing with that "stuff" over the last few week was a real bummer. I get enough if it at work and in society in general. This group is very therapeutic in that respect and I am glad that it is swinging back to where it was. Thank you all. :)

Ron Mummert 09-12-2002 07:21 PM

BOONE! Where's the cootie???!! I only come here to watch the cootie!!!
Bring him back right now!
Please.

Ron.

SVXphile 09-12-2002 08:06 PM

Cooties

I wonder what one of those plastic cooties that they used to sell years ago, would be worth today in its original box...

.....probably about the same as an original Winky Dink kit. :)

Oh the value today, of the things I tossed away.... :( Don

Ron Mummert 09-12-2002 09:39 PM

Re: Cooties

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
I wonder what one of those plastic cooties that they used to sell years ago, would be worth today in its original box...

.....probably about the same as an original Winky Dink kit. :)

Oh the value today, of the things I tossed away.... :( Don

OK, Don (1270)- How many pieces did each cootie have?

PS - Thanks Boone, I'll sleep a little better tonight.

Ron.

Boone 09-12-2002 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
BOONE! Where's the cootie???!! I only come here to watch the cootie!!!
Bring him back right now!
Please.
Ron.

Done. The cootie thanks you for your support. I'm just getting weary of waiting for the wheels of change to dispatch the latest crop of adolescent miscreant(s). ;) :D

AutoTchr 09-12-2002 09:55 PM

lets take the pressure off aredubjay

Take the pressure off aredubjay by setting a protocol. Lets set a magic number at "5" and if there are 5 complaints to aredubjay than that person is temporarily banned.

aredubjay has no control over the matter as 5 complaints equals suspension end of story.

Is that what the "report this post to moderator" for??? I don't know, never done it.

Aredubjay 09-12-2002 10:18 PM

Re: lets take the pressure off aredubjay

Quote:

Originally posted by AutoTchr
Take the pressure off aredubjay by setting a protocol. Lets set a magic number at "5" and if there are 5 complaints to aredubjay than that person is temporarily banned.

aredubjay has no control over the matter as 5 complaints equals suspension end of story.

Is that what the "report this post to moderator" for??? I don't know, never done it.

Yes, the report post to moderator sends e-mails to all moderators. Between the reported posts and the private messages and private e-mails, I'd have a lot of banning to do. :) However the "trigger" is in other folk's hands. I don't have the ability to block anyone. I could hit the "ignore" button, but that would only block posts to myself and therefore not allow me to do my "job" of moderating. 'Sall good, though. I'm sure the voice of the people will soon be heard and all will be well with the world. :D

I'm trying not to lose heart. Youse guys do the same. :D

Trevor 09-13-2002 02:10 AM

There are two very simple well meaning words which are lacking in many posts i.e. please and thank you.

mattski 09-13-2002 06:20 AM

Quote:

There are two very simple well meaning words which are lacking in many posts i.e. please and thank you.
Trevor, man am I glad I used the T word in my last post.:D

My 15 and 12 year old boys like to play Monopoly. We have very simple house rules for that game. If Please and Thank You are not used in the transaction, it is is voided. Drives them crazy but I like it.:D

Aredubjay 09-13-2002 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattski

Trevor, man am I glad I used the T word in my last post.:D

My 15 and 12 year old boys like to play Monopoly. We have very simple house rules for that game. If Please and Thank You are not used in the transaction, it is is voided. Drives them crazy but I like it.:D

Yes, basic good manners, of late, seem to be considered passe. At the dinner table (yes, we still sit down as a family, each night, to have dinner), no one receives anything without "the magic words," and no one leaves the table without an "excuse me" or a "may I be excused." What's great is, my kids think it's "cool" that we have "family dinner" and that they are required to use manners. What's more, when they have visitors, their friends always comment about how "cool" it is. Makes them feel good. :D

Green1995SVX 09-13-2002 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, basic good manners, of late, seem to be considered passe. At the dinner table (yes, we still sit down as a family, each night, to have dinner), no one receives anything without "the magic words," and no one leaves the table without an "excuse me" or a "may I be excused." What's great is, my kids think it's "cool" that we have "family dinner" and that they are required to use manners. What's more, when they have visitors, their friends always comment about how "cool" it is. Makes them feel good. :D

That was always the goal of my mother - to always sit down as a family and have dinner. It never really seamed to happen, though, because either I would be out somewhere doing the 'kid' thing or my father would be stuck late at the office etc etc. Looking back, I wish we were able to do that more often. I'm sure it does something to 'strengthen' the family.

Mike

Aredubjay 09-13-2002 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

That was always the goal of my mother - to always sit down as a family and have dinner. It never really seamed to happen, though, because either I would be out somewhere doing the 'kid' thing or my father would be stuck late at the office etc etc. Looking back, I wish we were able to do that more often. I'm sure it does something to 'strengthen' the family.

Mike

Obviously, we have the occasional inturruption in our routine, but, rather than the "norm" it is the exception. It does strengthen our family. I went through my "workaholic" stage, and it almost cost my marriage. I now refuse to allow my job to overtake my family responsibilities. I'll sack groceries before I become a "corporate zombie." Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D